Very Low Kms Fuso/Canter

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
canucksafari said:
Non-US members thinking of a Fuso / Canter 4x4 and only wanting a 3 seater may be tempted with this ex-Japanese disaster relief truck as a base for their expedition vehicle: http://www.tradecarview.com/stock/detail.aspx?sid=230795. I don't think I have ever seen one with such low kms. The engine isn't even broken in and its over 16 years old.
Cheers, John

It looks like 39Ronin (in Canada) on this board, bought one of the same vehicles (heck even the photos look the same, and kms are within a 100 klicks of each other).
I think if you could get it 'in county' what a great start. It look like Canada = YES, USA would = NO ... anyone of our Northern Brothers want to smuggle one south in thier trunk :^)
A perfect box for a 'pop-top' conversion, next to no miles (kms') and I'm sure they were well maintanined.

Here is the thread that 39Ronin shows us his future ExpoTruck:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2759

revised: Looking at the photos they are the same. The ad is from 11/07/2006, so we are probaly looking at 39Ronin's truck...lucking guy!

Last edited:

canucksafari

Adventurer
I hadn't noticed the date on the ad. Yes, I agree he is a very lucky guy. They are way overpriced new in Canada. I saw a used one up in Northern BC for over 3 times that price. I am looking for a double cab. It doesn't look like it exists in 4W. I guess that can be modded. I know a guy on BC4X4.COM who is modding a Hino into a 6 Track. Seeing as I am not too far from Squamish, I hope I can see 39Ronin's truck in action one day. Cheers, John

39Ronin

Adventurer
It is mine! They use the old bait in switch routine in Japan too. Call or email them about the truck in the photo and you'll get "that is sold, but we can source one out like it" blah blah.

I drove to the city in mine yesterday and she runs like a charm. The only thing is the gearing, it is super low and cruises at 80 km/h comfortably but anymore and you are loosing fuel economy. I was thinking about looking into having a turbo and intercooler installed. Not sure $$$ factor for that mod yet.
I will bring it to ITB in Surrey as they make search and rescue vehicles, truck bodies, movie trailers ect... I will find out my options for raising the roof and making it into a camper.

Anyone rolling through Squamish is welcome to check it out, just shoot me a PM.

canucksafari

Adventurer
I will definitely shoot you a pm if I am going that way. I thought this unit was turboed. I wonder if you could get away with building a U-brew intercoolered turbo from a Volvo. I am sure tha Aussies have something for them as well but shipping is pretty expensive. I am planning on doing the same for my Safari (Patrol). I think I will able to source an exact fit from a older wrecked UD Truck in the US. UD truck offered an optional intecooled TD4.2TI in their early 1990s 1300 and 1400 series. There is another turbo shop out on the Surrey Langely border which a neighbour told me specializes in building turbos for diesels. I'll find out the name and let you know if your interested. Cheers, John

39Ronin

Adventurer
canucksafari said:
I will definitely shoot you a pm if I am going that way. I thought this unit was turboed. I wonder if you could get away with building a U-brew intercoolered turbo from a Volvo. I am sure tha Aussies have something for them as well but shipping is pretty expensive. I am planning on doing the same for my Safari (Patrol). I think I will able to source an exact fit from a older wrecked UD Truck in the US. UD truck offered an optional intecooled TD4.2TI in their early 1990s 1300 and 1400 series. There is another turbo shop out on the Surrey Langely border which a neighbour told me specializes in building turbos for diesels. I'll find out the name and let you know if your interested. Cheers, John

Sounds similar to my plan, Fuso said they regognised my motor (pics only) and that it was identical to a NA Fuso that is turbo. I think I'll bring it to them first and chat about installing the turbo. You can see them from Highway 1 in Burnaby next to the Hino shop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier