Quicksilver expedition trailer.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good call on the Timbren... they are very well made. My next trailer project will run Timbren axel-less kit. Glad to hear that they hooked you up with the correct hubs too, great service. On my trailer I have BFG 31" AT's on matching wheels, I run them about 20-25 PSI, seems like a good ride at that pressure and no sidewall bulge at all. I may go to less than 20 off-road although last trip 1 hour on VERY wash-boarded logging roads they were perfect.

FJWillis

Observer
Yeah I wonder how low I can run the tire pressure on the trailer. The tires will be quite over sized for this size and weight trailer. I'm just waiting on the frame and then things should come together rather quickly.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
There was a really good article on airing down just this week on ExPo front page. They stated you should air down your vehicle to where you get maximum contact, measure the tread length/width (footprint) and then air down to the same footprint (no specified pressure) on your trailer. If your trailer is light and your load is not excessive I bet you could get down to some pretty low pressures with a large tire. Especially if you are running stiff sidewalls... I bet if your tires were down to say 20 PSI your trailer could be half that if lightly loaded.

I am going to try this next trip. Last trip I forgot to air down my tires and paid for it with a harsh ride on the washboard. The trailer however was smooth like silk.

FJWillis

Observer
Let me know how it works out. My sidewalls are real stiff so I'm worried I may not be able to air down enough without breaking the bead.

FJWillis

Observer
Box1.jpgBox2.jpgFrame.jpgI got tired of waiting on the aluminum frame. I'm not sure if they will ever get it done so I decided to go another direction. I ordered a 5 by 8 trailer from northern tool, and decided to adapt it to my design. The trailer came in two boxes and on a big semi. It is made out of 11 gauge steel, and seems of very good quality. If I end up using this frame I'll just sell the tires, axle, and fenders on craiglist.

FJWillis

Observer
frame2.jpghub1.jpghub2.jpgI put on the Timbren suspension. I had to make sure I moved one of the cross members to line up with the suspension. I later will put in an axle bar to tie in the suspension. I think I will need to do this because of the spacers.

FJWillis

Observer
trailer.jpgtrailerback.jpgtrailerfront.jpgtrailerside.jpgI cut the tongue, axle, and axle mounts off the Quicksilver trailer. I then moved the box on the new frame to see fitment. I also mounted the tires to see how it will look finished.

FJWillis

Observer
clearence1.jpgclearence2.jpgtrailerjack1.jpgtrailerjack2.jpgtrailerjack3.jpgI took the trailer jack off the quicksilver tongue and mounted it on the new frame. Take a look at the clearance the Timbren axle provides.

JKMikey

Observer
I didn't see you mention it above. With how the box is sitting and the wheels now mounted, it looks like there may be a conflict with any fender that you run. (or do you have a solution already)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Yeah I wonder how low I can run the tire pressure on the trailer. The tires will be quite over sized for this size and weight trailer. I'm just waiting on the frame and then things should come together rather quickly.

It hard for me to tell with no air in the tires.:) My set up is super light (<600lbs loaded) and with 30" C rated tires and I run @ 8psi off road and 22psi on road. I have found 8psi to keep the trailer well grounded even running off road at 35mph where applicable.

FJWillis

Observer
I found about 15 psi on road and about 8 psi off road work great with my trailer. The only problem I'm running into right now is the Timbren is squeaking. The suspension works great but the noise is a pain. I'm sending them an email for solutions.

FJWillis

Observer
I just put the fenders on last week. I'll have pics soon. I had to cut one of the fenders and make a removable piece because of the door. It came out fine for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior