Quicksilver expedition trailer.

FJWillis

Observer
Well this is the start of my trailer build. I did a lot of searching and found some great trailers located locally but just could not get what I wanted. My exploring, fishing, hunting, camping buddy is my 75 year old dad. I really wanted a way to make camping more comfortable for dad, but just could not see him climbing into a RTT. So I found a great deal on a quick silver camping trailer and I'm going to convert it into a expedition trailer similar to the one Livin Light makes for Jeep but with some mods. Here is a pic of the trailer when I first got it.IMG_1128.jpg

FJWillis

Observer
I'm not sure why livin light put the axle on the long side but my first quest is to build a frame to support a new axle crossing the shorter side. I'll have to remove the trailer tongue and redo the wiring.

FJWillis

Observer
IMG_1129.jpgIMG_1130.jpgIMG_1131.jpgSet the trailer up at home. Everything looks great. This trailer is not only very light weight but is built solid. Here are some more pics.

Vantage

Adventurer
With the tires being outboard, you can easily add a larger tire size to add lift. It is a very common mod with the fleetwood neon crowd.

I see you have a quicksilver 5.0, great choice! I love all quicksilver producs.

FJWillis

Observer
Thanks. I bought wheel spacers and installed them but it made the whole package way too wide. I'm trying to match my wheel size on my FJ to the trailer so I do not have to carry two spares.

FJWillis

Observer
I found a company that will make a custom aluminum frame for me. They do great work. They also make a very clever lightweight trailer for UTV's. Their websight is http://www.trailerworx.com/index.htm I went down today and met the owner. I gave him the rough sketch of what I wanted to accomplish and with a deposit the frame is being built. I wish I had the skills to weld aluminum.

FJWillis

Observer
IMG_1158.jpgI found five 2007 stock wheels on craigslist last week. I bought another two on ebay and went down to discount tire and put 285/70/17 BFG KM2's on all. Wow that hurt. I'm running out of money fast. I saved a long time for this project so hopefully my money will last. Here is a pic of the tires on my FJ. These will be the same tires and wheels on the trailer.

FJWillis

Observer
Trailer sketch.jpgHere is a rough sketch of the aluminum frame being built. I had him make it an extra 18 inches so I could make a custom slide out kitchen and storage box. I'm thinking I could store a LP tank and on demand hot water heater inside. This will take up half of the space so the rest would be a kitchen with a stove and sink. The trailer came with an awning that I'm going to extend out. That way when the kitchen unit is out it will be under the awning. The new frame will leave me enough room underneath for about a 30 gallon water tank. I like hot showers when I camp!

FJWillis

Observer
Thanks. I thought about just lifting the current axle but I think it would be to wide for some of the off road travel I do. I'm sorry but I do not understand your question about the door and bed?

FJWillis

Observer
Trailer lights off.jpgTrailer bars off.jpgIMG_1135.jpgTrailer tongue.jpgWell I've been a little busy today. I removed the fenders and now I have to remove the aluminum fender supports. I also removed the lights, wiring, and have a few holes to patch.

FJWillis

Observer
Wheel spacer.jpgI ordered the Timbren suspension from etrailer. I ordered the 2000 lbs system. It was $50 cheaper than ordering it direct from Timbren, and they shipped it free!! I got the 5 by 4.5 bolt pattern and will need spacers to clear the frame. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Timbren/A20RS545.html

The spacers I got off ebay. They are billet aluminum and accomplish three things.
1) They allow me the 2 inches I need to clear the backspacing on the stock FJ wheels.
2) They help flush up the trailer hub so I can use the stock hubcap on the stock wheels.
3) They will convert the 5 lug to 6 lug for the stock wheels.

I bought four of them and then sold two on ebay. I love ebay!!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Thanks. I thought about just lifting the current axle but I think it would be to wide for some of the off road travel I do. I'm sorry but I do not understand your question about the door and bed?

If you're going to turn the the trailer 90*, the back door will now be a side door. Was wondering what side it will be on? Driver's or passenger's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles