RTT & Kayaks

JFarris

Wanderer
Ok, how many of you have an RTT on your vehicle & have kayaks? I've searched for a solution for this, but have not found anything. If you know of an option, please point me in the right direction. If there isn't, I will start developing an option that will utilize Yakima or Thule mounts.

My application is a 12' Jeep JKUR with Gobi Stealth & RTT. I have (2) kayaks that I would like to be able to bring with me, without have to tow a trailer.

Lucky j

Explorer
I know that you mention that you did not wanted to pull a trailer, but I dicided to show you this anyway. It is not with the My YJ, but the x-trail can pull this without any problems.

This is modular and I can remove a level if I want to and bring de RTT to the lower level.

As for putting the kayak ant the RTT on the roof of a vehicule, the only thing I can see is to go wide with the bars ans install the kayak on their side or to remove the kayaks when you want to raise de RTT.
Trailer avec kayak.jpg

JFarris

Wanderer
My kayaks are I think 10' or so long. They fit side by side on the roof before I put the rack and RTT on. I'm thinking that it can be done, obviously with a substantial overall vehicle height increase.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I have a Maggiolina Extreme and a 12' canoe. I have adapted the rack on the RTT and built it up using old Thule bars so I can mount the canoe on the RTT rack and strap it down solidly with the Thule gunnel supports on the RTT. Works pretty well as I usually unload the canoe at camp to do some paddling but it is high and a bit of a PITA to get up and down. I carry a small step ladder.

JFarris

Wanderer
My thoughts because of the height, would be to make the mount tilt over to the side 180 degrees which would make them easier to unload. Loading would still be a chore.

Healeyjet

Explorer
JFarris, that was my thought as well. We have purchased a Habitat for the Jeep so we need to find a simple way to haul kayaks. My thought was to mount a light rack on the passenger side bumpers and go up and cantilever over the roof. This one would simply hinge on the passenger side and possibly slide down to make loading and unloading of kayaks easier. When we want to deploy the Habitat we would simply move the rack to the passenger side by tilting it up and out of the way making the roof line open to deploy the Habitat. Just thoughts at this point though. It would also work with RTT but most of those deploy over the passenger side already so would have to be reversed to drop over the drivers side (which then has it's issues)
Ward

Imnosaint

Adventurer
My RTT is more compact, an Oasis II, but it allows room on both sides of the Thule load bars for Hull-a-Port racks. One is shown here with an awning on the other side. I could drop the awning below the bar and add another pair of racks. The Oasis is only 39 lbs, giving me some weight real estate to play with up top.

KCCampMoty.jpg

Fullshot.jpg

Thulewide.jpg

Last edited:

JFarris

Wanderer
JFarris, that was my thought as well. We have purchased a Habitat for the Jeep so we need to find a simple way to haul kayaks. My thought was to mount a light rack on the passenger side bumpers and go up and cantilever over the roof. This one would simply hinge on the passenger side and possibly slide down to make loading and unloading of kayaks easier. When we want to deploy the Habitat we would simply move the rack to the passenger side by tilting it up and out of the way making the roof line open to deploy the Habitat. Just thoughts at this point though. It would also work with RTT but most of those deploy over the passenger side already so would have to be reversed to drop over the drivers side (which then has it's issues)
Ward

I can deploy my RTT from either side, depending on which direction it's mounted. There's multiple issues that would arise from this idea, obviously access to the vehicle being one of them. If you unload the kayaks everytime you deploy the tent, you could make it where the mounting system would be high enough to clear the doors, and yourself if your pretty tall. But, I wouldn't want to have to remove the kayaks every time I deployed the tent. So I would only have access to the inside of the vehicle from the tent side, when kayaks are still mounted.

Your idea would probably work for the Habitat.

Last edited:

dblosch

Adventurer
I see Gobi uses three different diameters for the tubing on their racks... What is the diameter of the top and bottom railings? Yakima bars are 1 1/8". If the Gobi railings are the same, I'd think something could be worked up with these... http://www.rei.com/product/673999/yakima-universal-snaparounds-set-of-4. Believe it or not, I have my RTT mounted with them, and it is rock solid.

I can envision four simple "L" frames made of something like 1 1/4" square tubing... two on each side of the rack. Using the Yakima piece as a hinge point at the Gobi railing, the frames could swing closed to meet in the middle of the roof and be pinned. Make it just slightly taller than your RTT, and your set for travel mode. Swing them open set up the RTT. Coming up with a "stop" so they only swing open part way would be the harder part...

dblosch

Adventurer
I'm going to do something similar, so I can carry my RTT, 2 kayaks, and 2 bikes, without a hitch carrier. Post pictures when you get yours set up!

Dan

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
What about the OverCamp?

425_front-quarter-open.jpg

Opens like a book rather than a wallet (standard RTT)

280_front-quarter.jpg

Narrow when closed

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the weight, something like 110 for the small, medium is like 140. These are expedition tents so they are strongly built and built to be modified and easily repaired anywhere. I used one, liked it. Other drawback is that it is a special order tent made by AutoHome, they will grill you to make sure you are worthy, and long wait time. They weren't that expensive when I had mine.

NatePerry03

I have a Maggiolina Extreme and a 12' canoe. I have adapted the rack on the RTT and built it up using old Thule bars so I can mount the canoe on the RTT rack and strap it down solidly with the Thule gunnel supports on the RTT. Works pretty well as I usually unload the canoe at camp to do some paddling but it is high and a bit of a PITA to get up and down. I carry a small step ladder.

Pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles