International MXT in Truck Trend

haven

Expedition Leader
A Truck Trend editor recently had the fun assignment of test driving the International MXT.
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/ultimate/163_0712_2007_international_mxt/index.html

mxt-1.jpg

There's a lot to like about the MXT as a foundation for an expedition camper: diesel engine, Allison trans, 4x4, single rear wheels, lots of ground clearance, crew cab plus 7 foot pickup bed.

The MXT is a large vehicle, but it's within an inch or two of F350 or F450 with dual rear wheels. The MXT is about a foot taller than most pickups, however.

Despite being a huge vehicle with a rugged frame, the standard MXT has a cargo capacity of only 4000 lbs. That's no more than the current F350 4x4 with single rear wheels, let alone duals.

The problem is the tires. From the article and accompanying photo, I believe the tire used on the MXT is the Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain, in size 40 x 13.5 x 20. The tire is rated at 4675 lbs. That's not enough for a vehicle with a 10,500 lb curb weight.

Michelin or Continental tires in similar 11 x 20 or 12 x 20 sizes can hold 7000 lbs or more per tire. These are the tires that International puts on the MXT for military use.

Somehow Avi Meyers convinced International to build an MXT with military tires for his next Amerigo Unicat project. Maybe International will sell them to us, too.

Chip Haven

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I think I saw one for sale in craigslist, just within the last few hours. Was a dealer too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior