Gearing Question for 2.7 5spd Tacoma

Explorer
Regular Cab
5spd W59 manual transmission
2.7 3rz 4cyl
Factory 4:30 gears
Tires 33"
Load = RTT, plus all gear, winch, arb, the usual stuff
Cruising speed = 65mph (75 when herded by traffic)

Problem:

I like my current fuel mileage (avg. 22 when cruising) but I'm not pleased with the performance on hills or headwinds. A breeze or slight incline puts me in 4th gear, causing the fuel mileage to plummet. My question is whether or not to re-gear to 4:88's?

@ 65mph with 4:88's my 5th gear rpm will increase by 310rpm to 2610 vs 2300 w/factory 4:30's

My 4th gear RPM w/factory 4:30's is 2,840 so if I switch to 4:88's my 5th gear will be like having 4.5 gear.

My hope is that my cruising mpg won't drop too much w/4:88's, because I'll stay in 5th more often. The added trail worthiness would be awesome, but I don't want to sacrifice to much on the highway because of higher rev's.

Any experience, thoughts?

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
Do it!

You'll be much happier without the constant back-n-forth from 4th and 5th. I had so many mods done to the truck already when I got to regearing that I can't accurately say what will happen with your fuel mileage. I will offer that at 70-75 mph I usually return 17 mpg/hwy fully loaded. Power will still be lacking on the steep climbs, but that's the nature of a 3RZ Tacoma.

J

JWP58

So is the life with the 2.7L. Here in Wyoming 5th was almost useless unless I was driving south towards Colorado (tailwind/downhill). Hell going over the Bighorns i was in 3rd most of the way lol. I still liked that truck though....

But the 4.0L V6....wow. I feel like I have a big block under the hood now hahaha

Explorer
Do it!

You'll be much happier without the constant back-n-forth from 4th and 5th. I had so many mods done to the truck already when I got to regearing that I can't accurately say what will happen with your fuel mileage. I will offer that at 70-75 mph I usually return 17 mpg/hwy fully loaded. Power will still be lacking on the steep climbs, but that's the nature of a 3RZ Tacoma.

Awesome! Do you think 4:88 is hands down the winner for you, or would you rather have 4:56 or 5:29 gears?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I have the identical truck and I'm looking at 4:56's or 5:29's. I think the Jump to 4:88's would be noticeable but I don't want to go up to 255 tires and wish I had a bit more gear to match it. I think the 4:88's would be fine if you're going to stick with stock tires and you're never going to haul a truck camper or tow a trailer full time. If you are dreaming of your RTT on a trailer or a camper in the bed, I'm pretty sure the 5:29's with 33's would be a nice combo. Either way, I'd gear a little "deeper" than 4:88 if you're going to spend the money.

All the best,
jorge

trump

Adventurist
Awesome! Do you think 4:88 is hands down the winner for you, or would you rather have 4:56 or 5:29 gears?

It is for me. I hammer down on the freeway to do my weekend travel/exploring, so 5.29s are a little too small for my liking. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't mind a lower ratio. 4.88 seems like the sweet spot IMO. With the single cab you would probably feel just right with 4.88s, but 4.56 wouldn't be bad either.

Explorer
I just noticed this. ^

Are you sure of that gear ratio? I was fairly sure that your truck would have 4.10s.

According to the door code it has 4:30 gears. My truck came with the large tire package which apparently has deeper gears.

Glad to know you like the 4:88's!

trump

Adventurist
According to the door code it has 4:30 gears. My truck came with the large tire package which apparently has deeper gears.

Glad to know you like the 4:88's!

Oh, okay. That's a pretty rare option on the single cab. You can flip those 4.30s for good money. Toyota is the only manufacture of that ratio and they were only available on Ext Cabs with the 2.7L and a manual (w/exception of the oddball single cab :p )

Also, remember that the 3RZ is happy to buzz along all day at 3000 rpm... no worries at all.

Explorer
Oh, okay. That's a pretty rare option on the single cab. You can flip those 4.30s for good money. Toyota is the only manufacture of that ratio and they were only available on Ext Cabs with the 2.7L and a manual (w/exception of the oddball single cab :p )

Also, remember that the 3RZ is happy to buzz along all day at 3000 rpm... no worries at all.

I wish that it came with 3.73's because I would have swapped those long ago! The 4:30's are just good enough to get by on 33" tires which has caused a long delay ;)

Good to know i can pawn the gears to help fund the project :)

Laxaholic

Adventurer
mind posting a picture or two of your truck?? I am quite interested in the 2.7's. Hoping to find myself in a more a fuel efficient vehicle in the near future, my 100 keeps me close to home and with an empty wallet.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
This... "My hope is that my cruising mpg won't drop too much w/4:88's, because I'll stay in 5th more often. The added trail worthiness would be awesome, but I don't want to sacrifice to much on the highway because of higher rev's."

You don't want anything less that 4.88's and not 5.29 gearing.

Remember mine... 3RZ with AT can handle the 5.29's with the autos gearing; your MT with the 3RZ will put your engine right in the power band for the 2.7. I'll bet your next paycheck that with a re-gear you'll be happier with the performance on the 255's and that gas mileage will not suffer appreciably.

Incidentally, when I did my re-gear I sold both gear-sets within a month. The demand exists.

Explorer
mind posting a picture or two of your truck?? I am quite interested in the 2.7's. Hoping to find myself in a more a fuel efficient vehicle in the near future, my 100 keeps me close to home and with an empty wallet.

Check out the link at the bottom of my sig ;)

Explorer
This... "My hope is that my cruising mpg won't drop too much w/4:88's, because I'll stay in 5th more often. The added trail worthiness would be awesome, but I don't want to sacrifice to much on the highway because of higher rev's."

You don't want anything less that 4.88's and not 5.29 gearing.

Remember mine... 3RZ with AT can handle the 5.29's with the autos gearing; your MT with the 3RZ will put your engine right in the power band for the 2.7. I'll bet your next paycheck that with a re-gear you'll be happier with the performance on the 255's and that gas mileage will not suffer appreciably.

Incidentally, when I did my re-gear I sold both gear-sets within a month. The demand exists.

I'm not betting paychecks with a retired man!

Explorer
4:88's it is!! With ARB lockers:drool:

So now, am I better off sending my diffs to Marlin Crawler or Inchworm to set up the gears and lockers?, or should I try it myself? I'm not very comfortable with any shops here doing the work.

I've never set up gears or installed lockers, but I am thoughtful and meticulous. Is this a job that requires experience? If not, I may be able to save about $800 on labor & shipping. If These guys can decrease my chance of mechanical failure, I'll probably just send it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94