Building Camper for Small Pickups

Goober

Adventurer
After looking for a commercial built camper and only finding campers that weigh 1000+lbs. I've decided to build my own. My Tacoma only has a 1300lb. load capacity and after passengers and gear that doesn't leave much. I want something smaller than a full cabover but more than just a shell. I've been camping this summer and sleeping in the back with the Leer shell and the 6' bed isn't long enough for me to sleep in comfortably, being 6'1".

After searching endlessly for home built camper plans I stumbled on a link to this site. Home built plans from shells to 5th wheels.
http://www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html

I purchased the "Importer" plans from Glen-L and am very satisfied with this product. The plans and "build manual" make this look easy. Very detailed construction and simple steps. Included is a full size blue print of the upper side layout, around 11' long, layout diagrams for cutting plywood panels from 4' x 8' sheets to limit waste, and bill of material includes lumber sizes and fasteners used. Information on installing electrical, lp, and water systems.

My plan is to build a modified version of the importer. Shorter height wise, 5' tall instead of the 6' the plans call for. This would be tall enough to sit in. A small cabover section for extra storage space and 80" long cabin so I don't have to sleep corner to corner (which I do now with just the shell arrangement). A fully finished Importer dry weight is 700lbs. So by cutting down the size and not putting in all the interior cabinetry and equipment, I'm hoping to keep it under 500lbs.

IMG_0579a.jpg

Camper-cross-section-detail.jpg

Camper-Side.jpg

IMG_1080a.jpg
Coat and boot closet will be left open at top. Commode with be enclosed in a cabinet with lid that raises and door hat swings out on front. I'll have a small seating space next to the sink cabinet. I found a place to make custom size cushions that I'll use for the couch/bed which just slides out to convert from couch to bed. Just taking ideas from the Aliner popup trailer. This could easily be set up with a full size bed.

Keeping this light so no power system or holding tanks. Battery operated led lighting, water supplied for sink supplied by gallon jug under sink with hand operated pump/faucet.

I may upgrade some of this stuff later though.

Now some build photos.
IMG_0547a floor.jpg

DSC02433a.jpg

DSC02444a.jpg

IMG_0662a.jpg

IMG_0679a.jpg

IMG_0787a.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
(Glad to see that you started a build thread here on ExPo, I was getting tiered of logging into TW to check the progress.)

Welcome to ExPo! And keep us posted on your build.

ober27

Adventurer
Happy to see your build here at Expo. I love the detailed construction photos, makes it really easy to see how things are fitting together structurally.
I like the idea of not having any permanent systems, for both simplicity and weight savings. My wife and I are planning a simple shell and then use the camping gear we have, such as camp stove, lighting, etc... That way if we want to leave the truck at the trail head or lake access, we just throw every thing in our packs and go.

This is my favorite build on Expo right now.

Darin

Great build. I've been thinking about a very similar build. I like the idea of the low profile forward overhead storage for bedding, clothing, etc. What is the width of your camper?

Goober

Adventurer
attachment.php

I've changed a couple dimensions since I sketched this. The 18-1/2" is now 19", 42-1/4" now 41-3/4", 39" inside width to 38", 41" outside width to 40"

attachment.php

I should note the overall height of 60" is without the roof. The overall length is 98" as I used full length plywood for the sides. (96" sides, 1" thickness backwall, 1" added for front wrap around)

Last edited:

Goober

Adventurer
Painting interior, paint clerk at Home Depot suggested using exterior paint because of the seasonal temperature fluctuations.
IMG_1095a.jpg

Thanks for the update on dimensions. Guess I could have looked at your original sketches...DUH! Really looking forward to your finished project. :sombrero:

Goober

Adventurer
Haven't shopped for the skin yet, but there are a few local RV repair shops that I'll check out when I get to that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles