Ground cloth - Kodiak vs. Springbar

dblosch

Adventurer
I know there is on ongoing debate about the different qualities of these two brands- I don't mean to stir that pot. I picked up a 10' x 10' Kodiak here on ExPo recently, and I'd like to get a ground cloth for it.

The Kodiak version looks like your standard "blue tarp" type material, with stake loops added. The Springbar version is made of canvas.

With shipping included, the Springbar is twice the cost of the Kodiak. Does anyone have experience with either or both? Am I correct about the material in the Kodiak? $80 seems like a lot for a ground cloth, but I don't want to pay $40 for a home depot style tarp, either.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

43990012.jpg

VS.

0598.jpg

D110

Observer
I have the Springbar ground cloth and it is definitely heavy duty and will probably provide better puncture protection and if stored properly last a lifetime - the one downside of course is that you do have to be sure to completely dry it before storing for any length of time.

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up! I figured the Springbar would be up to par with their tents... But does anyone know if the Kodiak is junk or not?

Honu

lost on the mainland
springbar ground cloth great heavy duty canvas ! not crinkly plastic feeling or sounding which is nice

in the morning bare feat etc.. does not have that cold plastic feel either which is kinda nice

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I will be ordering the Springbar.

springbar ground cloth great heavy duty canvas ! not crinkly plastic feeling or sounding which is nice

in the morning bare feat etc.. does not have that cold plastic feel either which is kinda nice

Honu- I have another plan for those cold, barefoot mornings inside the tent. Inspired by the Nemo Pawprint, I use one of these as a rug. Machine washable, disposable, fits in the tent bag, and you can't beat $8 for a 6' X 7' rug. If you're going to glamp, glamp! :sombrero:

Dan

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I have the Kodiak ground cloth under my Kodiak tent.

One reason I chose it over the Springbar is the Kodiak tent has a heavier bottom, and needs less protection. It is similar to a blue tarp, but a little heavier IIRC. The sewn loops keep the tarp in place - a very nice feature. The Kodiak tarp also packs up smaller and faster.

I would make the same selection again.

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks for the thoughts, Scott. I'm probably way over-thinking this, but I'm still torn. The money isn't a big deal. I'd think the Springbar is made better, but there's no indication the grommets will line up with the kodiak tent stakes. The kodiak is clearly cheaper material, but it will dry faster, and the stake loops are designed for my tent. I suppose if the ground cloth is damp, it will ride home packed separately from the tent, regardless of the brand.

Bring on the opinions!

Dan

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I had the Springbar ground cloth. I really enjoyed the heavy duty canvas and overall construction. It really did give a sense of protection for the bottom of the tent. Not just a piece of fabric to keep the tent clean from debris. Unfortunately I sold it with the Springbar. Wishing I had kept the ground cloth. I think I now have a similar style tarp to the Kodiak with my OzTent. I am not as hip on the crunchy sound it makes when walking on it. That said it does fold down smaller and you can wipe it clean with a towel. Not prone to mildew. If I had a choice I would buy the Springbar.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Thanks guys. I will be ordering the Springbar.

Honu- I have another plan for those cold, barefoot mornings inside the tent. Inspired by the Nemo Pawprint, I use one of these as a rug. Machine washable, disposable, fits in the tent bag, and you can't beat $8 for a 6' X 7' rug. If you're going to glamp, glamp! :sombrero:

Dan

When we had our trailer we used a indoor outdoor carpet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior