Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

Patrollife

Explorer
If you don’t have a filter on your snorkel’s air dam, here’s a pretty good reason to put one on. The pics below show all the mud kicked up by wheel spin that entered my air dam but was prevented from entering my air filter, or worst, my engine, thanks to a simple $3 mod.

8f50014e89e08bdc17a1d1d37ce9add8.jpg

a6b83409f760105bd025ec13b54dcc1c.jpg
62c384dff9dc0fbcb7fd6594fd06b0a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have a filter on your snorkel's air dam, here's a pretty good reason to put one on. The pics below show all the mud kicked up by wheel spin that entered my air dam but was prevented from entering my air filter, or worst, my engine, thanks to a simple $3 mod.

8f50014e89e08bdc17a1d1d37ce9add8.jpg

a6b83409f760105bd025ec13b54dcc1c.jpg
62c384dff9dc0fbcb7fd6594fd06b0a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turning it frontwards would prolly have fared been better. Looks like the rear tires had a direct angle to fling it right in there. :|

Patrollife

Explorer
Turning it frontwards would prolly have fared been better. Looks like the rear tires had a direct angle to fling it right in there. :|

Pointing it frontward presents different issues. The vines that droop down from the trees and low hanging branches tend to wrap themselves around the lower part of the air dam when it's forward facing. If you're not paying attention, or in the case of the FJ, if the snorkel is on the passenger side and you don't notice when this happens, the air dam can get ripped right off. It's happened to me multiple times, in some occasions you don't even know your air dam is gone until you've traveled a few kilometers down the trail.

My other trail partner on this expedition has the round air dam and had the same issue of mud getting into his snorkel. When there is mud for hundreds of kilometers in the types of terrain the jungle offers, there is no getting around it. You will find mud in all kinds of places months after your trip. It's amazing how and where the mud finds its way into your engine, chassis, interior of the vehicle, etc. But that's just part of the extreme expo.

Pointing it frontward presents different issues. The vines that droop down from the trees and low hanging branches tend to wrap themselves around the lower part of the air dam when it's forward facing. If you're not paying attention, or in the case of the FJ, if the snorkel is on the passenger side and you don't notice when this happens, the air dam can get ripped right off. It's happened to me multiple times, in some occasions you don't even know your air dam is gone until you've traveled a few kilometers down the trail.

My other trail partner on this expedition has the round air dam and had the same issue of mud getting into his snorkel. When there is mud for hundreds of kilometers in the types of terrain the jungle offers, there is no getting around it. You will find mud in all kinds of places months after your trip. It's amazing how and where the mud finds its way into your engine, chassis, interior of the vehicle, etc. But that's just part of the extreme expo.

oic

montanayota

Hello all,

Been lurking here for about a week, and decided to introduce myself! I originally found this awesome forum thanks to following Desktoglory, because their truck is an inspiration for mine!

Some quick details:

-1991 Toyota xtra cab 3.0 5speed
-150k orig miles
-bone stock aside from 31"x10.5" BFGoodrich All-terrain T/As
-California truck most its life, owned by my family since 93!

The hope is to spruce her up a bit, really create more of the overland style that I have come to love checking out everyones builds on here, rather than to make it a crawler. The goal is to learn lots here, and make wise modification decisions. Living in Montana, this truck's primary role are to get me up horribly maintained forest service roads to trailheads, rock crags, and anywhere between Glacier NP and down to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Oh yeah, and haul around a generally dirty and/or wet dog. So looking forward to getting insight from other members of this forum, who I can already tell to be much friendlier and informative than Yotatech.

Cheers!

Corey

P.S. Is anyone on here from the Missoula MT area, or Montana in particular?

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3144-2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles