Family Vehicle Choice Predicament

Kaisen

Explorer
I can and have put a full sheet of plywood in my Suburban without removing seats?? Fold down the second row, which fold flat, and the third that, while not flat, is sufficiently low. And removing the third row takes two steps.. Fold it, release the tab, and pull it out.

I've owned Suburbans for years (still have one) and had an Acadia for a year (company car)

"Sufficiently low" in the Burb means 16" folded....basically a 16" bump in the middle of your plywood, drywall, mattress, etc. Possible? Yes. Realistic? No.

In the Acadia, there is no bump. Center and third row fold flat, and that flat area is 4' wide x 8' long.

Chili

Explorer
I've owned Suburbans for years (still have one) and had an Acadia for a year (company car)

"Sufficiently low" in the Burb means 16" folded....basically a 16" bump in the middle of your plywood, drywall, mattress, etc. Possible? Yes. Realistic? No.

In the Acadia, there is no bump. Center and third row fold flat, and that flat area is 4' wide x 8' long.

Again, I have done it, and will likely do it again, and it didn't bother me at all. Keep in mind, I was not disputing the fact that the Acadia may suit the OP just as well, or better than a Suburban.

It is true that you gain a lot more space by removing the 3rd row entirely, and a fold flat seat would be preferable. I used to have a Nissan Armada and loved that all the seats folded flat. Although there was only about 6' from the backs of the 1st row to the tailgate, so I could not fit a full sheet in that one.

With only one kid now, and possibly only one more, I also agree that the Acadia would be worth his consideration. My Mother-in-law had the Saturn and it was definitely a nice vehicle. So nice that her husband bought one too, about 6 months later. She since moved back to a car, but he still has and likes his.

banukab

Again, I have done it, and will likely do it again, and it didn't bother me at all. Keep in mind, I was not disputing the fact that the Acadia may suit the OP just as well, or better than a Suburban.

It is true that you gain a lot more space by removing the 3rd row entirely, and a fold flat seat would be preferable. I used to have a Nissan Armada and loved that all the seats folded flat. Although there was only about 6' from the backs of the 1st row to the tailgate, so I could not fit a full sheet in that one.

With only one kid now, and possibly only one more, I also agree that the Acadia would be worth his consideration. My Mother-in-law had the Saturn and it was definitely a nice vehicle. So nice that her husband bought one too, about 6 months later. She since moved back to a car, but he still has and likes his.

Not bad, but not practical if you have the kids with you.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I will second (or third?) the Tahoe/Suburban choice. I have a 2003 Yukon (GMC version of the Tahoe) with 206,000 miles on the 5.3. No problems at all with it. Pulled a trailer with the 3 kids from MA to AZ/CO for three weeks (San Juans, etc.) a couple of years ago and it went very well. We camp with the dog (German Shepherd) in ME and while tight when we include all the camping gear (tight? Okay....yeah we look like the Beverly Hillbillies! LOL) it all works. I wanted the 'Burb (Yukon XL) but my wife was worried about the length as its her DD. No the mileage isn't great as compared to the newer car based UTEs but I definitely feel its better for some of the off-roading we have done with it and it hauls more stuff without problem.

No matter what you get I also agree the little utility trailer is a great thing to have. I get mulch and drive it right up to the beds to unload rather than having to load wheelbarrows in the driveway. Building a bunch of new tomato cages and bean trellis' in the garden last year I just parked the trailer beside the garden with all the lumber in it and it was like having a workbench next to the garden. They are so versatile for anyone who needs an enclosed vehicle I think they are must haves.

Just my $0.02

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
BTW, we looked at sequoia's a while back, by chance. We were looking at a few other rigs on the same lot, and my wife happened to wander over and hop in.

Those are very nice rigs.

People say they aren't "landcruiser" nice, but I tell you, we sat in and drove one that had 140k on the clock, and that darned thing was as clean and tight as any of the newer rigs that we looked at. I don't know it's ability to carry lumber/plywood, etc, but it's third row does fold and tumble out of the way in a 50/50 fashion, as well as being able to be removed completely. The 2001 model we looked at was about $8000.00, IIRC. They seemed to have a very respectable tow rating as well.

Cheers

plumber mike

Adventurer
Our Tahoe works for a local runner but comes up short for ANY road trip. No big. We will just get a small enclosed trailer for the extras. The 5.3 runs out quickly as soon as you need the torque instead of the HP. I'm on the hunt for a 3/4 ton burb with a 6.0. There are none on dealer lots, so I want to get one before they don't make them anymore. The AWD Express van is also on my radar and equally as difficult to find.....plus there's that 5.3 again. A 3/4 or one ton van converted to 4wd is looking a little to rich for me....again back to the Burban. A v10 excursion would work too, but I'm not much of a ford guy.

I also want a manual transmission too, so the reality is our 1990 is probably going to get a nice rebuild. It's sad really, that I have reached a point in my life that I can afford the vehicle I want, and they quit making it.

fnjeep314

Observer
Not to thread jack, but I am in the same boat as the OP. I have a gf, our kids(2yr, 20mo) and 2 60ish pound dogs. I want to get something that will allow us to expand our family in(we want 2 more for a total of 4). I think a suburban would be great, but the gf is not a huge fan of the size(she is 5'2" so everything is big!!) I am working on getting her into expo camping. When we were talking about this the other day, she kinda shocked me when she told me that she loved the new Wranglers. I told her that they come in 4 doors and her eyes lit up!! When I mentioned that we could even fit 3 car seats in the back, she was really excited!! I like the idea of a 4 door wrangler too for the openness, but what about the space for the dogs? With a Wrangler I am going to need a trailer. There is no way I could fit everything a family of 4 plus dogs would need in the back. the dogs would barely fit!! Anyone else have any ideas as which to do? I do not want a van, or a smaller SUV. Its got to be something Tahoe/Suburban/Land Cruiser/GX470 sized.

Kaisen

Explorer
If you're really intent on (eventually) having two adults, four kids (some in car seats and/or boosters) and two large-ish dogs......plus your gear.....everything will feel too small.
The Suburban / Yukon XL / Escalade ESV are the largest, and even then it's going to be hard unless your gear goes on the roof, or your dogs are kenneled in a way that your gear is packed under/over the kennels.
Next step smaller is the Ford Expedition EL or Lincoln Navigator L
Then the GM lambdas (GMC Acadia, Chev Traverse, Buick Enclave)
Then the Nissan Armada or Infiniti QX56
Then the rest

Good luck in your search!

Kaisen

Explorer
Yes, except both posters in this thread said "no vans"

Otherwise, a full size van makes even a Sub look small inside, yet not much bigger outside. Great use of space.

An extended van (pictured above) is just plain huge inside....keep two of the three-passenger benches behind the front two buckets (8 pass) and you'll still have room for a fullsize bed BEHIND all three rows of seats. I had both a GM 6.0L and a Ford V10 in long vans and liked both of them.

But again, "no vans"

fnjeep314

Observer
I know that I stated no vans, but the only van that would work for me(I think) is a SportMobile. I love those things!!! But by the time I spec one out, its almost $100k!!!! I do love the Sprinters too, but to have it converted to 4x4, that's major bucks too!!

Clutch

<---Pass
I know that I stated no vans, but the only van that would work for me(I think) is a SportMobile. I love those things!!! But by the time I spec one out, its almost $100k!!!! I do love the Sprinters too, but to have it converted to 4x4, that's major bucks too!!

You can do a Ford E-Series pretty cheap, under $30K if you play your cards right, & keep it simple. (don't really need build-ins) While pop-tops are cool, I would go for a high-roof, be cheaper, darn near fool proof (nothing really to break)...already set up when you pull over to rest.

http://www.off-road.com/diesel/project/project-motovan-building-an-offroad-van-part-5-53220.html

1Motovan9-21-10.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles