My new to me 2009 4runner Trail Edition

chmura

Adventurer
Update:

I could not take the crappy OEM Toyota TomTom stereo anymore. Very hard to use, small, and very outdated for a 2009 vehicle. Only the 2008 Urban Runners have this navigation and in 2009 Both Urban Runner and Trail Edition models have this Navigation. Glad its gone!

I replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS. I used a PAC SWI RC steering wheel control module. No lag what so ever with this unit. Only problem I had was the PAC programing instructions were vague so it took me 10+ times to get the programming right. Once got it correct took less than 2 minutes to program vs 2 hours trying. All buttons work on my steering wheel with no lag.

I had to cut into the oem piggy back harness since metra does not make a harness for the TomTom units. See picture below.

Install went smoothly. Looks oem which I like. I reused the factory tomtom trim piece so it looks like this HU came from Toyota.

Love the stereo now. Radio reception improved significantly. It sounds like I have new speakers with this new HU.

Here are some pictures:

chmura

Adventurer
I got my Gobi Stealth Rack a few days ago. Awesome rack, very high quality and looks great. It better for the amount they charge for the thing. I had Gobi custom make it for a 40 inch LED bar. I ordered it from Trail Duty.com awesome company. Received the rack exactly 5.5 weeks. After about 1.5 weeks that I placed my order, Trail Duty had a 10 percent black friday special. I emailed Trail Duty if they could credit me the 10% and they said sure no problem! Very good customer service from them.

Here are some pictures of it. Some of the pictures are from my Death Valley trip from last weekend.

2009 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition on South Saline Valley Road 12-28-13 - YouTube

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
chmura, I noticed when you first started shopping for the Icon suspension you were going back and forth on the standard travel vs the ext. travel? I'm in that same boat right now. If I recall correctly, you weren't going to get aftermarket UCAs but I noticed that you ultimately got TCs. Did you run the ext. travel coilovers with stock UCAs at all? If so, how was it? My $1000 lift budget has been blown to pieces now that I'm considering a CO setup. It seems like it never ends.

Thanks!

chmura

Adventurer
chmura, I noticed when you first started shopping for the Icon suspension you were going back and forth on the standard travel vs the ext. travel? I'm in that same boat right now. If I recall correctly, you weren't going to get aftermarket UCAs but I noticed that you ultimately got TCs. Did you run the ext. travel coilovers with stock UCAs at all? If so, how was it? My $1000 lift budget has been blown to pieces now that I'm considering a CO setup. It seems like it never ends.

Thanks!

The only reason I got aftermarket UCA's was because I got the ICON extended front coilovers. The extended ICON's give you about 7/8" more travel. When going with extended coilovers you need to get aftermarket UCA's due to the extra travel and strain on the stock UCA ball joint when at full droop.

If you want to raise the front 3 inches (go beyond the factory ICON preset settings of the coilovers) than you will need to get aftermarket UCA's to pass alignment. So if you are for sure going with after market UCA's than its a no brainer to get the extended travel ICON's since they are the same cost are the normal ones.

2 days ago I bought a set of new BFG KM2's 285/70/17 these are full 33" tires. Glad I went with these tires as the noise level did not increase at all from my 255's. The 255's KM1's were not loud to begin with. Plus the rig looks alot better now!

Today I will be raising the front about .5 inch or so to level the truck out a bit. This will be the first time adjusting the ICON's.

I will post pics when I'm done and when the rain stops here in So Cal.

Last edited:

_Aaron_

Observer
This extra travel I highly doubt will prevent you from crossing that difficult trail you want to cross.

Is there's a typo there? I'm just wondering why having the extended travel would prevent someone from driving on a difficult trail. I don't think there are disadvantages to having the extended travel, are there?

chmura

Adventurer
Is there's a typo there? I'm just wondering why having the extended travel would prevent someone from driving on a difficult trail. I don't think there are disadvantages to having the extended travel, are there?

Sorry I meant to say if two people have the same vehicles one with normal ICONS and one with extended ICONS with 7/8 more travel. I'm pretty sure that both vehicles will get through the same difficult trail as 7/8" is nothing significant. It mostly comes down to drivers experience and picking a good line.

Since the extended and non extended are the same price people choose the extendeds.

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
I adjusted my ICON coilovers this morning. This was my first time doing this as I never adjust any coilover before.

It was pretty easy. I lifted the truck up, sprayed the collar with some WD40 and the lower threads to flush out any pebbles, dirt, etc so the threads were clean.

Stock measurements from the ground to the bottom of the fender.

I had 3/4 full tank of fuel. I only adjusted the left drivers side coilover.
1 1/4" threads exposed (stock preset)
Drivers side: 37 1/2"
Passengers side 38 1/16

After 5 turns to left the (collar goes down) I got.

Drivers side: 38 1/8
Passengers side: 38 7/16

I could of gone one more turn but I will leave it at that for now since I had 3/4 tank full.

Also here are some pics of my new BFG 285/70/17 tires. These tires are awesome, not loud at all compared to my 255 KM1's. I should of got these tires originally. I pushed the fender liners forward, and I cut the ends of the bottom front bumpers. I do not rub anymore. I do rub barely on the UCA's at full clock. Now I am in the market for some aftermarket wheels to correct this. Thinking about getting SCS Stealth 6 gunmetal wheels or Mojave ATX teflons for a better offset to correct the UCA rubbing issue.

Here is a picture of the coilover and how much I adjusted. Tape signifies the stock preset location compared to 5 turns.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, chmura. I guess if I go the Icon route it would be better to go with the standard COs. I wouldn't be able to afford UCAs right off the bat and would rather not run extendeds without UCAs. Your comment abou the 7/8s difference really puts it into perspective. Thanks!

Your 4runner is killer, by the way. Well done.

chmura

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, chmura. I guess if I go the Icon route it would be better to go with the standard COs. I wouldn't be able to afford UCAs right off the bat and would rather not run extendeds without UCAs. Your comment abou the 7/8s difference really puts it into perspective. Thanks!

Your 4runner is killer, by the way. Well done.

When I was buying my ICONS Metal Tech told me (company where I purchased from) that it is fine to use the extendeds on stock UCA's if you do not do lots of hardcore wheeling. So you could possibly buy the extendeds and 6 months later get some UCA's. Just an option!

chmura

Adventurer
One thing I did not like about the 4th gen 4runner was the end of the exhaust. There is a big resonator that hangs low, it was a big eye sore for me. To me even the 3rd gen and 5th gen 4runner ends of the exhausts look much better and do not hang so as the 4th gens.

Okay enough complaining so I took out the sawzall out and cut away.

I am very very surprised that the exhaust noise did not increase at all. IMO Toyota could of gone away from not even putting this resonator in and save some money. I been driving like this for a few weeks and no exhaust fumes in the cabin or anything abnormal.

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
Here are some pictures of my 4runner on my recent trip to Monache Meadows. I ran Sherman Pass 4x4 Jeep trail with another expo member. It was an awesome trail that had some difficult tricky parts to it.

4runner did an excellent job, very capable as it stands now.

LOSTR4

Chmura,

Your 4runner looks as good as it is performing! Get yourself better front armor than ARB! Go with a Shrockworks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne