My new to me 2009 4runner Trail Edition

chmura

Adventurer
I have a James Baroud Evasion Evo and switched out my Icon 2" springs for a set of OME mediums to handle the extra weight when my FJ is fully loaded.

How do you like the OME mediums compared to the ICONS? Do they ride harsh? What things do you carry in your FJ? I am not sure to go medium or heavy. I think medium without a rear bumper might work better.

chmura

Adventurer
I purchased a NorthStar Group 31m battery to power my ARB 50 quart fridge. Going to the single battery route since I never let my vehicle sit more than 24 hours while camping.

photo nomad

Adventurer
How do you like the OME mediums compared to the ICONS? Do they ride harsh? What things do you carry in your FJ? I am not sure to go medium or heavy. I think medium without a rear bumper might work better.

I run a stock rear bumper, but have a James Baroud RTT on my truck full time, and when backcountry carry a full complement of recovery equipment, tools, minimum 5 gal of water, 50q ARB fridge, ARB awning, food, stove, camera gear and either 4 or 8 gallons of fuel in Rotopax hanging off the rear of my truck.
It rides a little harsher on the street when unloaded, but not too bad.
11eeb4d63a4837bbe5edbd4bfbf44de4.jpg

chmura

Adventurer
I run a stock rear bumper, but have a James Baroud RTT on my truck full time, and when backcountry carry a full complement of recovery equipment, tools, minimum 5 gal of water, 50q ARB fridge, ARB awning, food, stove, camera gear and either 4 or 8 gallons of fuel in Rotopax hanging off the rear of my truck.
It rides a little harsher on the street when unloaded, but not too bad.

Sweet picture! ^^^^

I think I will go with mediums then.

How tall are you by chance? I am having a hard time choosing between a James Baroud and a Autohome. Since I am 6'1" I am Leaning towards the Autohome since the dimensions are longer on paper.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Sweet picture! ^^^^

I think I will go with mediums then.

How tall are you by chance? I am having a hard time choosing between a James Baroud and a Autohome. Since I am 6'1" I am Leaning towards the Autohome since the dimensions are longer on paper.

I'm 5'11" and have plenty of space in the JB Evasion. If you have any doubts about fit go see Bruce at Nomad Ventures in Escondido, I believe he has one in the showroom you can check for size. Plus I think the 2015 model James Baroud tents are the nicest hard shell RTT's available right now.

chmura

Adventurer
I purchased a NorthStar Group 31m AGM battery.

I decided to run a large single battery instead of a dual battery. People that used this battery ran a ARB fridge up to 5+ days without starting the vehicle. I usually never let the vehicle sit for more than 24 hours without starting so going with a single battery for me was preferred.

I did not make any modifications to the OEM battery connections so I can revert back to OEM size battery in the future if I wanted to.

Few things to note that are 4th gen specific.

I had to remove the pos/neg posts of the new battery since they were hitting the hood when closed. I bolted them down into the threads using a 9/16" nut.

I made two positive and negative extension cables using 1 awg battery cables with 3/8" copper end terminals.

I removed the dual terminal on the negative side of the battery to gain more clearance between the battery and hood.

Happy with the results.

IMG_1742_zpszd00zvtv.jpg

chmura

Adventurer
Purchased my very first stove. I been using a very small Snow Peak backpacking stove just to boil water and do very simple cooking.

I was set on purchasing a Camp Chef stove but more and more researching I did on here I purchased a Cook Partner Stove from Steel Partner Company. This thing is very well made.

This is a 18" model with extra slats welded on. I also ordered a 15 inch hose with an adapter to be able to use the Coleman 1lb propane bottles.

IMG_2127_zps9oyudhxi.jpg

chmura

Adventurer
Labor Day weekend went to the Sierra Mountains for a quick camping trip.

Got a chance to test out my new GooseGear icebox storage cabinet with top drawer. Excellent product by GooseGear, and excellent customer service by them. Highly recommend them!

IMG_4527_zpssdvc3cdr.jpg

IMG_4629_zpsx84wjm0a.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsmwilhzxc.jpg

IMG_4477_zpsfbjqw4js.jpg

chmura

Adventurer
Small update to my build.

Purchased a new Autohome Medium Extreme roof top tent. Also purchased a 81 quart Alu-Box storage case and hard mounted it to my roof rack.

Went on a few trips with the setup.

IMG_0674_zps4lbnctdi.jpg

IMG_0525_zps06urnsfc.jpg

IMG_0524_zps7jzuxuz2.jpg

JTQF6287_zps2wrzhfyb.jpg

LFQB2207_zps0ewu6xot.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome pics. I'm always looking back here for ideas... very well put together truck. Really want to get a similar RTT for mine. I just need to find one with enough long for my 6'6" body! haha

chmura

Adventurer
Awesome pics. I'm always looking back here for ideas... very well put together truck. Really want to get a similar RTT for mine. I just need to find one with enough long for my 6'6" body! haha

Thank you!

Autohome makes an Extra Long version of the tent which has a 80" mattress. There are a few inches beyond the mattress so you should be able to fit fine in an XL model.

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
Here is another picture of last weekend that I forgot to include.

Found an awesome camping site in Anza Borrego stayed here for 2 nights and I did not see a single person/vehicle. Was awesome.

IMG_0851_zpsgmjjzzwg.jpg

chmura

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles