beginner bike, suggestions?

Mechanical

Adventurer
Hope I didn't come off harsh, wasn't meant to be.

Nah, not at all. Actually, after lurking through many of your posts I have massive respect for your opinions on all 2 and 4 wheel means of travel. I look forward to seeing if you pick a Toyota or Chevy.

Sorry killahaas, I won't derail this thread any further.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nah, not at all. Actually, after lurking through many of your posts I have massive respect for your opinions on all 2 and 4 wheel means of travel. I look forward to seeing if you pick a Toyota or Chevy.

Sorry killahaas, I won't derail this thread any further.

Ok, cool. And thankyou.

98% sure it is going to be a Chevy. Lotsa deals out there, have been scanning auctions too. No big hurry though usually takes
me 6-12 months to find the "right" vehicle.

Killahaas...just go sit on bikes, get a feel for the ergonomics of them. See what fits you best. I would lay them over and pick them up too, see if your comfortable picking up the weight. I have been riding for looong time, I still wreck too. ;) A light bike is nice when you're tired...I usually wreck when I am tired and make stupid mistakes.

thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate all the help. well i went to a few shops today. the one place that said had the husky didnt they only had the 310 which is the same bike with a larger motor. but that bike is way to big. i also looked at the WR250, CRF250l, XT250, and the DRZ400
i did get a chance to sit on the WR250 and the CRF250. I can't put both feet on the ground on the WR(would need a linkage lowering kit) I was also told the XT250 isnt the greatest of bikes for traveling. great bike for local trail too trail but nothing that someone would want to sit on for a extended period of time. but i took a really close look at the CRF250 and i have to say i REALLY like it. i can sit on it with my both feet touching the ground. it feels very controllable one thing i dont care for at all is it doesnt have a kick start, just electric not the most comforting thing. but the price tag on it is super nice. but i still want to try to find a 230 to check out. does honda still make them? also does anyone have any experience with the XT250? seems like a really nice bike.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
If you really like the CRF250L, I say go for that.

Honda does still make the 230, just not the "L" street legal model anymore, the CRF250L took its' place, they are about the same size.

Should be able to find one on the used market, or even a brand new left over at a dealer.

Here is nearly new one in Boise, $3500 http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/3622518101.html

Another with only 1800 miles, $2800 http://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/3609398488.html

Side note: It really drives me nuts that Honda changed the name of the XR's to "CRF"...the "CR-" tag was for their
race bikes, and XR was for their casual trail bikes. It gets confusing when someone says CRF250...I automatically think
of the race bike. Damn you Honda! :p

Anywho...

As for the no kick starter thing, if you keep an eye on the battery you should be ok, buy a trickle charger to keep the battery charged up.

My e-start only 505, stranded me a couple times in some hole in the back country, we got it started again, but it was a pain. (I was being lazy
about battery maintenance tho')

Funny thing, my Gasser has an e-start but I rarely even use it.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
are the CRF's EFI or still carb? if it's carb theres always the push it up a hill and coast down to get it started in case of a dead battery!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
A Honda XR250 is a great beginner bike. It won't do interstate but for trail riding and back country lanes its awesome. Easy to fix and maintain. I started in dirt on a Husky 610 but I am 6'6" and 250+ lbs so it was no problem. I have ridden a XR250 and they are just plain fun. All my bikes are orange now but my kids ones are blue and red.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you can get 1 foot on the ground when sitting on a Suzuki DRZ400,.....I don't see how it can't be a perfect bike to start with. Unless you want a cheaper beater bike.

Then once you get the hang of it, throw some parts at it:
-Protaper ATV mid bars
-Pirelli XCMH front, Dunlop 606 rear or Kenda Trackmaster II rear
-suspension springs and valves
-rim lock

sourdough

Adventurer
400 DRZ. I went thru 250's & 350's in the 80's and 90's. then a KLR 650 for a few years and finally got it right on a DRZ400s. Great little D/S motorcycle. If you are thinking 80% plus street really look at the v-strum 650. If I was younger.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier