New Utility Trailer Build

08Silverado

Adventurer
I have wished for a trailer to chase my jeep for a long time. I have weighed the advantages and disadvantages of all sorts of trailers. I finally made up my mind to buy something that I could modify to my liking. I bought a 5X8 landscaping/utility trailer with a 3500 lb axle and 15 tires. It's not what I want it to be but with some help from you guys and some southern ingenuity I think I can make this my own! Here are a few pics to show you what I have to work with.

3K33G73I55K45H45Mad2s6b97257f0855133b.jpg3K33Ma3N55Ke5F75Hdd2sdfc5c79f38fb1e8d.jpg3Na3oa3H25I45Ge5Hbd2s6513cd0e83c31f34.jpg

My goal is to modify this trailer to ride at the same height as my jeep and to serve multiple purposes. I don't have plans to enclose the trailer box as of now because I'd like to also use this trailer to make lumber yard runs and for other purposes around the house. The trailer will see most of it's use for day to day lumber yard runs and such. However, I'd also like the trailer to function well for offroad purposes to remote camping spots. The first real test for the trailer will come this September when I pull it to Colorado for an elk hunt.

Here is a list of what I have in mind to do so far. Tell me what you think.

1. Spring over axle conversion
2. Cut sides down to approximately 2'
3. Cap the sides with 2" square tubing
4. Rebuild the tongue out of tubing
5. Replace the existing hitch with a max coupler
6. Add side steps/running boards fore and aft of the axle
7. Build a rear gate
8. Replace the existing jack to folding style
9. Replace the tires and wheels to match my jeep
10. Add anchor points

I have read a lot of posts on here and elsewhere about building trailers. There aren't many builds that start out with a platform like this one. I'd like your ideas and input please.

DSCN3839.JPG

Thanks

08Silverado

Adventurer
I have a question regarding wheel spacers for my build. I would like to use pro comp rock crawler steelies on this trailer. The wheels will be 17X9 with 4.5" of backspacing. The trailer axle is 60" wide I would like to run a 35X12.50X17 tire on the trailer. My question is how can I figure out what size spacer I will need on the trailers hubs. By the way the axle on the trailer does not have brakes.

Thanks

FredB

Observer
What's the backspacing on the current wheels? How much clearance between the tires and the trailer? What size are the current tires? Jack up the trailer and try test fitting your spare off of the jeep, that will at least give you an idea of what you need.

08Silverado

Adventurer
I'm not sure what the backspacing on the current trailer wheels are. There is currently about 1" of space between the tire and inner fender wall. That is a good idea to try with the jeep spare I will do that. I have already done the spring over axle and it did give me a nice lift. Once I get the proper wheels and tires on the trailer it should ride at the correct level.
As for the paint scheme...I haven't made a decision on that yet but more than likely it will be painted black.

08Silverado

Adventurer
Here is another picture. I cut the sides down to 24" today and removed the front landscape box that was on the front. I also moved the springs above the axle

Image.jpg

08Silverado

Adventurer
I will be skinning the trailer in diamond plate on the sides. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do about a top if I do a top at all

08Silverado

Adventurer
I have now decided that a lid for the trailer will be in order. I think I will build a frame for the lid out of 1"x2". Do you recommend a angle iron base for the lid to close into?

Can someone give me advice on what the trailer axle width should be to accommodate a 35X12.50X17 tire? The wheel I want to run is 17X9 with 4.5" of backspace. The frame width of the trailer is 56"

08Silverado

Adventurer
The axle that is on the trailer has the same bolt pattern as my jeep (5X5) I'm just wondering if the axle width will be wide enough after I change to a 17X9 wheel and 35X12.5 tire.

08Silverado

Adventurer
I Made some progress today! I bought some 2"X2"X14g tube for the top rail and running boards. I also bought some 2"X3"X14g tube for the tongue rebuild. Finally, I bought some 2.5"X2.5"X3/16" tube for the drawbar and rear receiver. After making my cuts I got the top rail tac'd on and I'm really liking the way it looks. Tomorrow I plan to finish welding the top rail in place and then starting to work on the running boards. I plan to build running boards the full length of the cargo area and the width of the fender. My biggest obstacles are still ahead. I have to figure out my wheel and tire combo. I also have to rebuild the tongue. Finally I plan to build a tailgate and skin the cargo area in diamond plate. Here are some pictures from today.

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online