International TerraStar 4x4

Carlyle

Explorer
You sure this press release isn't referring to the gas version? 6.8 is the Ford v10 displacement. That would seem like a likely gas power plant for a vehicle like this.

There are a number of fleets that have reverted to gas engines, as the trade off in fuel usage is outweighed by the reduced maintenance costs, replacement costs, and purchase premium.

Those 6.0's didn't help either...

Good thoughts BC Hauler...

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
You sure this press release isn't referring to the gas version? 6.8 is the Ford v10 displacement. That would seem like a likely gas power plant for a vehicle like this.

There are a number of fleets that have reverted to gas engines, as the trade off in fuel usage is outweighed by the reduced maintenance costs, replacement costs, and purchase premium.

Those 6.0's didn't help either...

Good thoughts BC Hauler...

I figured some people might see that 6.8L and assume it was a misprint for the upcoming gas. You can rest assure, the gas engine will not be a Ford engine of any sorts.

Exactly, there are a lot of fleets and municipalities moving to gasoline in every vehicle and GVWR range where gasoline is an option. While I was at the NTEA show last week I attended the Green Truck Summit and the future of diesel is not looking good. Love it or hate it, diesel fuel is a dirty fuel that costly and costly to clean up in terms of aftertreatment systems (DPFs, SCR, etc). Plan on seeing a lot more gasoline engines in larger trucks running on propane and CNG. Big bore diesel engines in OTR trucks running CNG will be big thing in the next few years as well. A diesel engine running on diesel fuel might become a rare item in the years to come if the so called experts are correct.

Carlyle

Explorer
It's been coming in Canada, Europe sooner than later, too bad as other fuel sources are plugging thing up the atmosphere quicker such as coal. My generator (when needed), etc run on nice clean propane. On the hand, the btu's and efficiency of diesel fuel are well proven over gasoline, too bad the car companies are still pumping soot back though the engine as a form of emissions control.

Carlyle

Explorer
It's been coming in Canada, Europe sooner than later, too bad as other fuel sources are plugging thing up the atmosphere quicker such as coal. My generator (when needed), etc run on nice clean propane. On the hand, the btu's and efficiency of diesel fuel are well proven over gasoline, too bad the car companies are still pumping soot back though the engine as a form of emissions control.

78Bronco

Explorer
Westport Innovations has OEM deals with Cummins for diesel engines running off CNG & diesel. Not a new thing at all.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Westport Innovations has OEM deals with Cummins for diesel engines running off CNG & diesel. Not a new thing at all.

I don’t believe anybody said diesel engines running on CNG were a new thing. But, like you said, Westports have been around for a quite a while but almost as a novelty item. Most people never heard of them or seen one. That will be changing as we’ll be seeing a lot more of those type engines in the next few years mainly in medium and heavy trucks. I must say it is weird to look at a big bore diesel engine with spark plugs and coil packs on them though! :costumed-smiley-007

78Bronco

Explorer
I don't believe anybody said diesel engines running on CNG were a new thing. But, like you said, Westports have been around for a quite a while but almost as a novelty item. Most people never heard of them or seen one. That will be changing as we'll be seeing a lot more of those type engines in the next few years mainly in medium and heavy trucks. I must say it is weird to look at a big bore diesel engine with spark plugs and coil packs on them though! :costumed-smiley-007

Westport injects both diesel and CNG into the cylinder relying on the high compression ratio to self combust both for commercial HD applications. First they inject a little diesel then followed by CNG. NO spark plugs or coil packs required but the injectors are quite complicated. Considering that they have an OEM agreement with cummins means it is a feasible product already in service and production. I would consider hydrogen fuel cell technology a novelty and still in its infancy despite zillions of dollars invested by major OEM's. The Westport solution is a proven product.

In lighter duty applications they offer Ford Superduty line up with gas motor (plugs and coils) which further proves the product.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Westport injects both diesel and CNG into the cylinder relying on the high compression ratio to self combust both for commercial HD applications. First they inject a little diesel then followed by CNG. NO spark plugs or coil packs required but the injectors are quite complicated. Considering that they have an OEM agreement with cummins means it is a feasible product already in service and production. I would consider hydrogen fuel cell technology a novelty and still in its infancy despite zillions of dollars invested by major OEM's. The Westport solution is a proven product.

In lighter duty applications they offer Ford Superduty line up with gas motor (plugs and coils) which further proves the product.

CNG diesels in the industry have been a novelty up to this point, anybody that works in the trucking industry or truck manufacturing industry will agree. There are less than ~20,000 CNG units on the road in the US and Canada where millions of diesel medium and heavy trucks roam. 20K is a drop in the bucket and a novelty like electric or hydraulic hybrid trucks.

I am not familiar with the entire Westport Cummins history to know how they mixed the diesel/CNG in the early versions but I can tell you the current and future CNG engines based on diesel engines at the genesis of the Green Truck Summit and on the show floor do not run a diesel fuel/CNG mixture and are indeed spark ignited. They are dedicated CNG engines, basically overgrown gas engines based on big bore diesel engine architecture.

Unfortunately, Diesel fuel isn’t consider “Green Technology” and today’s stringent diesel emissions standards are making manufactures take a closer look at other fuels as there is only so much you can do to clean up a diesel engine until you take the “diesel” out of the equation. This does not mean diesel engines running on diesel fuel are completely going away, just plan on seeing more and more CNG dedicated “diesel” engines coming into service as large fleets, municipalities, and manufacturer’s join the Go Green theme and continue to feel the squeeze from emissions regulations as well as seek a reprieve from high cost of diesel fuel.

Here is an excerpt from the ISX12 G (12L) webpage at Cummins Westport:

Featuring proven Stoichiometric cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (SEGR) combustion technology, spark
Ignition
and simple Three-Way Catalyst (TWC) aftertreatment, the ISX12 G delivers strong pulling power and heavy-duty durability and performance that customers can depend on.

The ISX12 G is a dedicated natural gas engine, based on the Cummins ISX12 diesel engine, that operates on 100 percent clean-burning, low-cost natural gas. The ISX12 G is manufactured on the same assembly line as the Cummins ISX12 engine.

Excerpt from the ISL G webpage:

The ISL G is capable of operating on compressed or liquefied natural gas (CNG, LNG). The ISL G can also
operate on up to 100 percent biomethane – renewable natural gas made from biogas or landfill gas that has been upgraded to pipeline- and vehicle fuel-quality. (no diesel)

The ISX12 G and ISL G are just a couple of many dedicated spark ignited CNG “diesel” engines that will be on the market in short time.

See those 6 round things on the valve cover? Those are coil packs and there are spark plugs about 5 inches below them.
Cummins-Westport-ISX12-G-420x483.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
CNG engines are nothing new to Cummins, just making them small enough to fit in trucks is. In the early 2000's I worked on some Caltrans LD F250's that were mid to late 90's with 5.4 engines that were dual fuel. I know they had problems back then with these rigs because eventually they just ran them on gasoline. The supervisor told me though that all the medium duty and up trucks that Caltrans used in the LA area were supposed to be CNG/LPG by a certain time frame and they were shipping the gasoline trucks to more rural areas.

I think Larry is correct in his assesement that you will be seeing more and more fleets switch to gasoline or CNG.

Sagestone

Observer
I was wondering ... does the TerraStar 6.8-liter MaxxForce® 7 V-8 engine offer exhaust braking? I thought I saw somewhere on the TerraStar Diamond Logic screen demonstrations, selectable parameters for exhaust braking. If so, can the programmable dash switches be set to select any of those parameters at any time (1,2,or3) or can the switch only be used to activate the parameter choice previously selected in the computer. Regards, Dean

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I believe, yes….on all accounts. Let me see what I can find out when I get logged into my work computer tomorrow.

DoOver

2014 Super Cab 4 x 4 Terra Star

Can someone tell me if the back door opens on the Cab and a Half or Super Cab models of this Terra Star? It looks like it might open after one opens the front cab door, but I'm not sure.
Thanks
Brian

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Can someone tell me if the back door opens on the Cab and a Half or Super Cab models of this Terra Star? It looks like it might open after one opens the front cab door, but I'm not sure.
Thanks
Brian

Nope, they don't open like extended cab pickups. The only way into the extended cab is through the front doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz