International TerraStar 4x4

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My company launched a new variant of our International TerraStar model this week at the NTEA show in Indianapolis. The TerraStar is now available in 4x4 :sombrero:

8540083487_1773fc6091_n.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS – March 6, 2013 – At a press event today at the National Truck Equipment Association (NTEA) Work Truck Show, Navistar showcased its production-ready International® TerraStar® 4x4 commercial truck—one of the company’s newest additions to its comprehensive Class 5-8 product portfolio.

Launched in 2010 in a 4x2 configuration, the International TerraStar took center stage giving work truck buyers an exciting new product with a wide range of commercial duty features not offered in other trucks. Now, the 4x4 enables International Truck to capitalize on the other half of the market, so TerraStar is poised to win over an even broader range of customers.
“The TerraStar is the smaller sibling to the DuraStar, the best selling medium duty model throughout the past two decades, leveraging the same platform and commercial grade components,” said Jack Allen, Navistar’s president, North American Truck and Parts. “The TerraStar shares the same rugged, durable and hardworking DNA, making it in a class unto itself. The TerraStar 4x4 will deliver additional commercial duty capability for a wide range of customer needs, including construction, utility, landscape, and other off-highway applications.”

TerraStar Features
At the heart of the TerraStar 4x4 is its 300 horsepower, 6.8-liter V-8 engine, delivering 660 lb.-ft. torque. This engine features a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block which offers high strength without added weight.
With 38 percent more visibility and 30 percent more cab interior space than the competition, the TerraStar also offers outstanding maneuverability in even the tightest work environments. In addition, the commercial grade TerraStar cab, available in extended cab or crew cab configurations, is designed to be more durable than the competition and is constructed with double-sided, galvanized high-strength steel protected by a 5-step professional grade coating process to resist corrosion.

The TerraStar includes the International Diamond Logic® electrical system, one of the most advanced electrical multiplexing architectures available in commercial trucks. With Diamond Logic, the engine, transmission, instrument panel and other vehicle components continually communicate with each other electronically. By monitoring critical vehicle functions and relaying information to the driver in real-time, Diamond Logic ensures safe, efficient vehicle operation. Diamond Logic delivers a number of smart, customizable features for added convenience and safety—such as automated pre-trip inspections, headlights on with wipers, automatically engaged safety interlocks, programmable switches and more depending on the application.

International TerraStar 4x4 Features Include:
• Allison Optimized™ 1000 Series transmission
• Fabco TC-28 gear-driven transfer case—the only gear-driven transfer case in its class
• 6.8-liter MaxxForce® 7 V-8 engine with up to 300 horsepower
• International® Ride-Optimizes Suspension (IROS) air suspension system
• Longer 138- and 150-inch CA offerings w/ standard cab to accommodate 18- and 20-foot bodies
• Aluminum step package and stainless steel fuel tank straps
• Commercial style tilt-away hood provides easy access to engine compartment for routine service and scheduled maintenance.
• Best-in-class 80,000 PSI frame rails and huck-bolted frame ensures maximum strength
• Commercial grade cab designed to be more durable and resist cracking under heavy loads

A Class Unto Itself
Offering the performance and durability expected from the International brand, the TerraStar 4x4 is designed to last twice as long as the pick-up truck platforms offered by competitors. It boasts huck-bolted cross-members that deliver best in-class frame rail strength of 80,000 psi, a commercial-duty Allison Optimized™ 1000 Series transmission for maximum power output, and a Fabco TC-28 gear driven transfer case—the only gear driven transfer case in the market.
For decades, Fabco has been the leader in all-wheel-drive transfer cases and steer drive axles for medium- and heavy- duty vehicles. The forged helical gearing and roller bearings give extraordinary high torque and horsepower capacities while offering a quiet and smooth driving experience. A precision, cast iron housing offers rugged durability with optimized weight.

Matched with 6.8-liter V-8 engine power for a winning combination of power, performance, and reliability, the Allison Optimized 1000 Series transmission features Shift Energy Management (SEM), Load-Based Shifting Scheduling (LBSS) and Automatic “Neutral” for simplified operations and greater powertrain durability.

Internationaltrucks.com/

Additional cellphone photos I took of the 4x4 model at the show.
8541165668_cbf75c8d25_c.jpg

8541167660_aeb15341aa_c.jpg

8541166306_0e7c80348c_c.jpg

Electric Shift Fabco TC-28 cast iron, gear driven 2 speed transfercase.
8540065641_9442162cab_c.jpg

Dash switches
8540065283_7672db48ab_c.jpg

Dana 80 front axle. 8,000 lb rated
8540119213_d90f665f9d_c.jpg

8540083487_1773fc6091_b.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
Interesting -- thanks. Is the ground clearance as low as it looks in the pix?

I see where International are using stainless steel for the cab on one their other new models (the trash truck cabover).

d67u57

Adventurer
nice. was going to ask for clearance myself. what gearing does it come with?

interesting choice of t-case

edit : from int'l page "The TC-28’s Cast Iron housing provides more strength and "

i thought the housing on the tc-28 was alu?

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Interesting -- thanks. Is the ground clearance as low as it looks in the pix?

I see where International are using stainless steel for the cab on one their other new models (the trash truck cabover).

The gray show truck had small road tires so it is pretty short. I didn’t happen to notice the tire size but the tires on the orange brochure photo are a bit taller. The lowest points appeared to be front axle U-bolts and side steps. If I had to guess, I would say the Fabco tcase to the ground was around 12” to 14”.

Yes, that new refuse cab and chassis is an all new machine. I haven’t even seen one in person yet.

nice. was going to ask for clearance myself. what gearing does it come with?

interesting choice of t-case

edit : from int'l page "The TC-28’s Cast Iron housing provides more strength and "

i thought the housing on the tc-28 was alu?

We don’t have a full data/spec book on this new product yet but I would imagine there will be a few gear options. I believe this truck GVWR range typically packs 4:63 gears. The Fabco transfer case has a low range of 2.2:1. The housing is indeed cast iron. We use a wide range of Fabco tcases and front drive axles across our 4x4 and 6x6 range including the military mraps. Great stuff!

d67u57

Adventurer
excellent .

4.63's and the good torque from the diesel means business :)

going back to the t-case, in what scenarios have you seen any broken(if any) ?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Slap an All Terrain Warriors composite camper body on that chassis in a crew cab config and you have a killer setup for a family of 4 to travel in.
Thanks for the post Larry

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
going back to the t-case, in what scenarios have you seen any broken(if any) ?

I couldn't answer that one, as I am an after sales support manager (service rep) and handle a package delivery fleet customer that runs stepvans, medium duty, yard spotters and Class 8 tractors so I don't have any experience with the 4x4 and 6x6 trucks we build. Even at that, I have not seen any bulletins floating around our system with issues with anything by Fabco.

Slap an All Terrain Warriors composite camper body on that chassis in a crew cab config and you have a killer setup for a family of 4 to travel in.
Thanks for the post Larry

For sure, the possibilities are endless. It will be neat to see what people do with these in the years to come.

YA! :Wow1:

Last edited by a moderator:

jps4jeep

Observer
Dana 70 front?

Since it doesn't have any built in GPS, I am gonna have to spend my money else where (like I had money to spend.)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Dana 70 front?

Since it doesn't have any built in GPS, I am gonna have to spend my money else where (like I had money to spend.)

No sir. It got a Dana 80 front end. GPS can be added through DiamondLogic or by running one of many aftermarket GPS systems.

BigTex

Observer
How long before we see pictures of a royal blue version of that cab and a half model, with a child seat in the back, a big black Alaskan camper mounted to a flat bed on the rear sittin in your driveway? ..........with Pikes Peak under it in the background?

I know you've thought about it!!!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I'm curious about the motor. When I look on the website it claims that the Maxxforce 7 is the 6.4L diesel V8. That is the same motor that was in the Ford Superduty from 2008-2010. However this article claims that it is a 6.8L motor. Is this a typo or did they change the spec on the motor recently? Personally I wouldn't have any International V8 diesel other than a 7.3L. I would opt for the DT466 in a truck that size as it is a far superior engine in every possible way.

d67u57

Adventurer
cool.

wow on the front end dana 80!

maxforce diesels no good?

i know the dd are beasts for endurance(minus the 8.1 if memory serves right)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
How long before we see pictures of a royal blue version of that cab and a half model, with a child seat in the back, a big black Alaskan camper mounted to a flat bed on the rear sittin in your driveway? ..........with Pikes Peak under it in the background?

I know you've thought about it!!!

Haha! Never thought of that actually. It is a little big for my preference plus blue isn’t really my color of choice, just the color the K10 turned out to be because I was too lazy to paint the interior. On the other hand, when this TerraStar comes available with a gasoline engine then that may be something to think about. Gasoline power will be coming to the TerraStar in the near future. Can’t talk about which engine it will be yet though.

I'm curious about the motor. When I look on the website it claims that the Maxxforce 7 is the 6.4L diesel V8. That is the same motor that was in the Ford Superduty from 2008-2010. However this article claims that it is a 6.8L motor. Is this a typo or did they change the spec on the motor recently? Personally I wouldn't have any International V8 diesel other than a 7.3L. I would opt for the DT466 in a truck that size as it is a far superior engine in every possible way.

The press release is incorrect. The engine is actually 6.4L, not 6.8L. Yes, this engine was the base foundation for the Ford version of the 6.4L but the Ford version was cost engineered and is considerably different than the Navistar version. The Navistar version of all of the V8 diesels used in past Ford trucks are truly commercial grade. The Ford versions were cost engineered for pickup truck use.

I agree, a DT would be great for this TerraStar but that won’t happen. The DT would be overkill for this little TerraStar with GVWR range from 16,000 to 19,500 lbs. A DT required a much heavier DuraStar model. The TerraStar is a light commercial grade vehicle aimed to compete with the Ram 4500/5500, Ford F450/F550, light range Hino’s etc. in commercial segment.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Gas engine? Interesting. I know the last bunch of new F450 bucket trucks for a phone company that came through where I work were all gas rigs. With the price of diesel fuel and the cost of owning a diesel with emissions equipment we are going to be seeing more commercial rigs have gas engine options.

BCHauler

Adventurer
On the other hand, when this TerraStar comes available with a gasoline engine then that may be something to think about. Gasoline power will be coming to the TerraStar in the near future. Can’t talk about which engine it will be yet though.

The press release is incorrect. The engine is actually 6.4L, not 6.8L.
You sure this press release isn't referring to the gas version? 6.8 is the Ford v10 displacement. That would seem like a likely gas power plant for a vehicle like this.

There are a number of fleets that have reverted to gas engines, as the trade off in fuel usage is outweighed by the reduced maintenance costs, replacement costs, and purchase premium.

Those 6.0's didn't help either...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles