To Rover or not to Rover... LR3 purchase consideration...

Nikson

Explorer
Would like to hear some feedback, on what to consider & look for during the selection of the vehicle.

I've been a Jeep guy for past few years, would like to travel more with my kids now since they grown up, needing more cargo & seating space with comfort.
Planning a trip to Mexico this coming late fall/winter, with tent trailer...

Jeep had served me well, but just dont fit the criteria any longer for family needs.

Considering 2005-2008 Land Rover LR3,
cold weather package a must (for leather), navi not necessary.
Would be running tires under 32" (biggest fitting without lift - feel free to advise)

Nikson

Explorer

in Russia they say - ГОВОРЯТ ЧТО КУР ДОЯТ... as in - PEOPLE SAY YOU CAN MILK A CHICKEN...

- thus my reason for asking ACTUAL current/previous owner of LRs, to get their opinion & suggestion.

I've done my personal research, and do not care to go "Toyota" route at this time.
Like the Landcruiser/LX470, but not my choice at this time.

Last edited:

Nikson

Explorer
2007 and up, look for a HSE package(its worth it), as always try and get one with maintenance records.

Any reason why 2007 and up?

I've located a 2005 with 41k, one owner (local) - full service record from the local dealer as well, reasonable priced (not HSE)

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Supposedly most of the factory improvements have been done by 2007. However, other than the flaking coating on the differentials, nobody has really said what improvements were made from '05-'06 (other than software, which can be upgraded).

I recently bought a 2006 HSE w/65K miles. I paid $20K from a Toyota dealer, so no hassles - at the expense of 'the best deal'. I had to put an alternator in it 2 days after owning it. I need to clear the sunroof drains as the last rain got the drivers carpet a touch damp. Other than that, no other issues with 12K miles more on it. It will need front control arm bushings and an alignment soon. As long as I stay ahead on the preventative stuff, it seems very solid.

I love it. Don't regret a thing. It's been comfortable and extremely capable, even on 'street' 19" tires. My kids love it, even if only for the rear seat warmers and stereo headphones/controls. No Toyota has ever had the intagibles that the LR3 has, you just feel 'right' when driving it. Everything just fits and feels solid.

I did the research and budgeted for a Faultmate (or IIDtool) as most problems seemed to be computer related and can be temporaily cleared to get moving again.

trevor

The improvements made by 2007 included the upgraded bushings for the suspension bits (which most 05-06 more than likely had done under warranty), and bluetooth and other software upgrades (one touch windows, 3-blink indicators, etc.). I believe that was most of them. I've always had a rule of thumb to avoid first year vehicles (regardless of manufacturer) as they work through the bugs. But, by now, all the things were more than likely corrected while under factory warranty.

Nikson

Explorer
The improvements made by 2007 included the upgraded bushings for the suspension bits (which most 05-06 more than likely had done under warranty), and bluetooth and other software upgrades (one touch windows, 3-blink indicators, etc.). I believe that was most of them. I've always had a rule of thumb to avoid first year vehicles (regardless of manufacturer) as they work through the bugs. But, by now, all the things were more than likely corrected while under factory warranty.

Supposedly most of the factory improvements have been done by 2007. However, other than the flaking coating on the differentials, nobody has really said what improvements were made from '05-'06 (other than software, which can be upgraded).

I recently bought a 2006 HSE w/65K miles. I paid $20K from a Toyota dealer, so no hassles - at the expense of 'the best deal'. I had to put an alternator in it 2 days after owning it. I need to clear the sunroof drains as the last rain got the drivers carpet a touch damp. Other than that, no other issues with 12K miles more on it. It will need front control arm bushings and an alignment soon. As long as I stay ahead on the preventative stuff, it seems very solid.

I love it. Don't regret a thing. It's been comfortable and extremely capable, even on 'street' 19" tires. My kids love it, even if only for the rear seat warmers and stereo headphones/controls. No Toyota has ever had the intagibles that the LR3 has, you just feel 'right' when driving it. Everything just fits and feels solid.

I did the research and budgeted for a Faultmate (or IIDtool) as most problems seemed to be computer related and can be temporaily cleared to get moving again.

Thanks guys...

That seems to me that most of the issues are a common thing, with any vehicle to have some hickups.

What do you all say to an "accident/damage report" on CarFax? Owner says that bumper cover was replaced with fenders & grill being painted to blend the color?

Other than that, this particular makes sense as the one I would/should choose.

Eniam17

Adventurer
The LR3 is a great vehicle in my opinion, it sounds like you found a clean low mileage vehicle with service records which is great. Have you looked through the service records to see what was done? Any recurring major problems that have plagued the vehicle since day one? Repeat electrical issues or major component issues are usually something to avoid. The fluids are now all 8+ years old so I hope they have been changed. Land Rover publishes some pretty "generous" mileage/times in between recommended fluid changes on later model vehicles in the opinion of many. Weak batteries cause all kinds of electrical and system fault issues with LR3's so make sure your battery is OEM spec, of not OEM, and plan on replacing it every 3 or 4 years.

d67u57

Adventurer
while service records are a must for the ones priced higher and of course lower miles, these seem not to go bust like

the previous one.and im talking engine troubles... most people will probably tell you to not look at a six cylinder propelled example(if you find one).

i say look at it. why? ford has put that one engine in a gizillion vehicles. reliability is quite proven. mpg,meh,more or less the same. but i trust ford more than jag :)

but if at the same time you find a nice lx470? why not? completely different truck(picture a mountain goat with a big heart vs a slightly overweight mountain goat)

Nikson

Explorer
while service records are a must for the ones priced higher and of course lower miles, these seem not to go bust like

the previous one.and im talking engine troubles... most people will probably tell you to not look at a six cylinder propelled example(if you find one).

i say look at it. why? ford has put that one engine in a gizillion vehicles. reliability is quite proven. mpg,meh,more or less the same. but i trust ford more than jag :)

but if at the same time you find a nice lx470? why not? completely different truck(picture a mountain goat with a big heart vs a slightly overweight mountain goat)

I've looked at LX470/LC - love the interior of the 2003-up, just that the rear trunk and overall interior space - LR3 just made it simple for my wife & I to decide to try it.

another simple thing - LR3s are just not your "see it here - see it there - see it everywhere" vehicle, not everyday you will find 2 next to each other on the parking lot.

LR3 fits all of my criteria, the only worry is the high-cost of repairs if there be any, especially across border in Mexico for example.

Good enough thou, I guess just need to use some common sense now and decide which one to go with.

d67u57

Adventurer
i hear you on the (trunk) space.

repairs,depends what kind. onboard computer and so on? probably screwed on both counts unless you tow it to a dealer.

mechanical? probably the yota has more chances,world wide.

but if you are thinking reliability first, function second, one wouldn't need to get to page two to figure that out :D

personally,i really like both of them, and if i had to chose between two similarly mileaged and kept vehicles,

only a coin toss would decide.but then again, no family,no kids,no pooch(for now).

LR Max

Local Oaf
First off, search. Pretty much your question is asked every 3 days here. Not to be a ************, but if you REALLY are serious, then you'll do research.

Second, go test drive a LR3, a Toyota 4 Runner, a Lexus GX470, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Third, make a choice.

The LR3s are BAMF. I want one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke