AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild007_zps5f4d8c78.jpg

AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild008_zps1a6a5dad.jpg

AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild009_zpsb58ffee9.jpg

AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild010_zps15506d26.jpg

AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild011_zpsd0af288a.jpg

AspenXTrailsKellyTearDropBuild012_zpsf1f57ed0.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Propex has a new heater (2211) that will work within closded areas. The measurments are for putting the heater behind the main wall and in front of the fridge, exhaust running through the floor and out through the main frame rails. According to Propex there is not enough heat build up to cause concern. They show it mounted on a carpeted seat back and going through a rubber matted floor board. I am quite excited about this addition.

I have some other pictures I will forward to Reid, they show the frame at a more basic build, but the water tank and skid plate sytem are shown. This trailer is quite different than the past ones.

Thanks Switawi!!!!

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I only offer the Torflex axle. It is by far the best system on the market. They are not rough riding if they are set up properly. You must have the correct axle for the weight of the trailer for it to perform as designed. Most over spring the trailer, just as they do with a conventional axle, the main reason is to get the six lug hub. Dexer offers it down to 1800 pounds now I believe.

As stated numerous times, the US military, and all NATO forces uses this exact same axle. From gear hauling to the most sophisticated electronics are carried with this axle. Soon all trailers above 5000 pounds will use the Dexter/Alko rubber ride axles with air bags, but they do not use shocks on any of them that I am aware of.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

SnowZone

Very nice build, and glad to see you're still knocking them out! What's the expected weight for the completed trailer?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
In honesty, I am not quite sure. No AC, but 16 gallons more of water, the skid plates and some other things I have done. My guess it will be 2400 wet, but could go a little more. Again that is 42 gallons of water when full. I will weigh the frame when it is done, hopefully by Thursday. That will give me a better idea. I wanted the skid plates with the water tank. It is huge and expensive, covers the whole bottom of the trailer.

The good thing about the weight is that it is very low, below the floor. This keeps the center of gravity down and the tip factor at a minimum.

Some more pictures should be up soon. I sent Switawi a ton of the skid plates and the water tank area.

I only have a few things left on the upper, but have to build some carts for the local hospital. I just finished one and have the other one half done, then back to the trailer.

We will be adding the propex 2211 (their new one, supposed to be quieter than past models) propane heater to this trailer, and have become a dealer for them. So if anyone is interested in one let me know.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I have decided to change the way I am building this trailer. Normally I complete the frame, paint and attach outside wood, then fiberglass and install all components. Making access to some areas hard. This trailer will be sand blasted and powder coated, hopefully with three colors. Then I will do all the wiring to each component, completing the kitchen prior to attachement of walls. This should make the build easier and quicker. I should be back on the trailer full time tonight or tomorrow as the goal is to have it back from powder coating late Monday afternoon.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry for the long delay, I have been waiting for the heater, which arrived this morning. Now will need a longer exhaust hose for it, but do not have to move the wall. Trying tomorrow to finish up the welding and get it to the sand blaster. They will have it over the weekend it appears, then back to the powder coater. He thinks it will take him a week to get it done. So may have some extra time to ride my bike. Will try to get some pictures to Switawi in the morning.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The frame is done, other than the back hatch. Poison Spyder is bending the outside rails for me while it is at the powder coater. Should have pictures up Sunday or Monday. There will be a lot of them. My IT guy thinks he has figured out the problem, so hopefully I will be able to do it in the future.

Thank you for your patience, I do not think you will be disappointed when you see the trailer development.

Will answer any questions once the pictures are up.

Old Sarge

Observer
Good to see that your back working on a trailer! Don't forget grab bars on the inside and the light switches moved up higher! :sombrero: Still enjoying mine! Had it out over Spring break weekend, I ran some washboard roads at 50+ MPH nad everything was fine....well except my eggs, broke all but 4! :( LOL! We had one spot that we had to turn around, so instead of trying to back up I just drove off in the ditch and turned around. Forgot to think about the angle of the ditch and when I looked in the mirror it scared the hell out of me as the trailer looked like it was almost on its side, but it was just following me! I had to run up to 90MPH on the highway to catch the group and it tracked perfectly with no wobble or sway. The second best commit I got was from a jeep guy who said he coulndn't believe how well it tracked. He was behind me most of the way. Best thing was the second night camping everyone froze their butts of as it got down to about 32 degrees and everyone was either tent camping or sleeping in their trucks, I turned the heat on for about 15-20 minutes on low and was toasty!

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Great to hear Curt, I have put handles in this one. The switches will be above the door as you requested. Mr. Tester!!!!

Switawi told me he plans to put pictures up tomorrow or Monday. There are a boat load of them, way more than I have ever taken before. I have worked on the frame for almost ten full days. I thought I had it done yesterday, but fiddled around with it most of the day. Came up with a place to carry an extra jack, or a place to protect the lift one. I have banged mine up on crossing steep little raises, where the wheel hit. Now you can move it completely out of the way. Finished off the rear skid. Had not planned on putting anything there, but I think it makes it look cleaner.

Anxious to hear your comments on the skid plates.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I've been remiss in my picture posting duties. Expect a flood of pics throughout today...

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thank you kind sir. My IT guy has promised he will have this fixed soon.

We are adding another jack to the trailer, so I have to weld on attachment point. The trailer will hit the sand blaster this morning. My guess it will be gone for a week to ten days.

Again thanks Reid, I really appreciate all of your and Pats help!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz