2013-03-18e005_zpsf719bb0d.jpg

2013-03-18e006_zpsb001fa36.jpg

2013-03-18e007_zps39adbae1.jpg

2013-03-18e008_zps2077e330.jpg

2013-03-18e009_zps1ef8b98c.jpg

2013-03-18e010_zpse54fc8ea.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The above pictures show the trailer base frame, the skid plates being made, they are to protect a 36 gallon water tank that fits between the frame rails, and above the axle. There will be an 18 gallon holding tank, both electronically monitored. The water tank ends approximately where the galley wall will start. The side frame work going on. Then each support will be welded in, fitting water heater, propane heater, battery enclosure and micro wave brackets. All are structurally tied together. I will try to keep you updated as Switawi posts the pictures.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Awesome!! Are you using a generic torsion axle or is it built heavier duty for offroad use? Not sure if there is a difference.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I use Dexter Torflex. It is a 2700 pound axle with 3500 pound bearings and hubs. These are the same axles used on all new US military trailers and NATO forces trailers. There are numerous companies that make torsion axles. Dexter and Alko have been building them for over 30 years.

You can buy the axle set up this way, ranging from 1800 to 3500. I have been using them for 25 plus years and have never seen one fail, other than being in accidents with other vehicles.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

silvrzuki77

explorer
I have never heard of one failing just a lot of talk which we know how much that is worth lol. Im wishing know that i would have done torsion or a airbag/control arm setup. Something i can always switch out later.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Bob, just found your new build thread.

I have wheeled and camped with Bob several times and can vouch for his trailers being quite bullet proof.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Ace, I value your thoughts greatly!!! Almost as much as I love your dog!!!! And you know how I feel about her!!!!!

Trailer is at the sandblaster as of this morning. I towed it at 90 MPH this morning with no wag or bounce. It has 35 inch wheels and tires right now and with the skids, it weighed in at 1083 pounds. Quite happy with that. I had actually expected it to be closer to 1300. Every inch will be sand blasted and then powder coated three different colors. Black for the frame and skids, white for the galley area, and tan for sleeping compartment.

I hope to have it back by mid week next week.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Sand blaster says Monday before it is done, powder coating will take a few days, so most likely will not see until the end of the week. Sorry for the delay on this, as I had hoped it would have been back by early last Friday. Have no control of these two subs. Spoke with fiberglass people Friday and it should be done by mid week next week. Still need to order the Morning Star charge controller. Mattress arrived Thursday, along with the Rhino roof rack. Still have not ordered the holding tank. Will do that early this week. Will take some time to get it, but can work around it. As this is the first one this size, I need to be extra careful on entry, venting and exit holes.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Trying to post pictures

Attachments

• Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 001.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 001.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 94
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 002.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 002.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 003.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 003.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 90
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 004.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 004.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 005.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 005.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 007.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 007.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 008.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 008.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 009.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
  • Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build  Sandblaster 010.jpg
    Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop Build Sandblaster 010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 83

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Pictures of the trailer as it departed for the powder coater. Got it back yesterday, still trying to learn how to get the pictures to post. One time they do, the next thirty they don't . I guess a blind squirrel gets and acorn now and then.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Frame work for doors, water heater. Sorry for these being late, but still figuring out how to do this. IT guy never did figure it out, so I am trying trail/trial and error. May have got it working.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Attachments

• AspenXTrails kelly Tear 001.jpg
    AspenXTrails kelly Tear 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 82
  • AspenXTrails kelly Tear 002.jpg
    AspenXTrails kelly Tear 002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 78
  • AspenXTrails kelly Tear 003.jpg
    AspenXTrails kelly Tear 003.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Rockman,

My small little brain figured you needed to know that just as you asked. I have a ton of pictures we could not get to post, but I think I may have figured it out.

PM me. I have some information for you. lol

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier