RRC 4.2 motor question

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I am seriously looking at a '94 RRC LWB with the 4.2 :victory: It checks out great - green in color, ARB front and rear bumpers, diff guards, 235/85 BFG AT's, interior is nice - MOST everything works - lots of recent service - fuel pump, CV's, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, brakes check out great, rear upper tailgate has been replaced - nice Rover, really.

The ISSUE is - passenger front cylinder is pumping exhaust gas into the coolant. She does not really over heat, but the upper coolant hose (thermostat) gets rock hard and you can hear the cap on the coolant bucket hiss a little. He says it uses about 2 quarts of coolant every 400 miles and has does this for about 4K miles. There is no sign of coolant on the ground where it was parked or on the motor after the 15 mile test drive.

I know what your thinking - head gasket - BUT, is there anything to the idea that it could be a cracked liner in the 4.2? It feels nice and strong, not really low on power, and the time frame seems to suggest head gasket. I just don't want to put a ton of money in a Rover I may love, but can't run.

Thoughts?

Scott Brady

Founder
Sounds like you like the truck, but it has an issue (could be serious), so pay accordingly (with the anticipation that it will need to be fixed) and both parties will be happy.

James86004

Expedition Leader
It is really common for these engines to blow a head gasket as they age. My 4.2 blew one at 125,000 miles, and my 3.9 blew one at 200,000. Most happend in between those mileages. I have heard rumors of cracked liners, but never actually talked to anyone who had experienced it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier