The AR-15

zimm

Expedition Leader
My backup sites are the magpul flip up ones. With my eotech 553 and flip up 3x magnifier I can instantly drop the eotech and flip the magnifier and my sights are right there at 12 o'clock.

i was using the black flip ups with an old bushnell licensed eotech, but i wanted some real distance, so i put those on by M&P 300blk. perfect combo for the range. i was looking at the magnifier, but... it started to get wacky complicated to me. with this, i can be at 600yds and flip the gun and be at 100yds. and neither of those sights take batteries or break.

Ray_G

Explorer
Forgot one!
Besides the 16" RRA w/the TA01 & the RA XCR, I also put together this 20" rendering akin to the SAM-R's we had in Iraq. ST lower, BCM upper with 20" SS barrel free floated in the MI rail with YHM flip up sights. SS10x42 on the top in a LaRue mount. Deviated from the original in a few places of course (aside from not wanting to find, nor pay for, the KAC stuff).
SAM-R1.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
New light

photo (4).jpg

Just spent the entire weekend shooting the AK and AR platforms in training and really invested in getting zero with my irons and optic.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Here is mine:
A Smith & Wesson M&P15 OR (Optics Ready)

IMG_1196.jpg

This is a fairly new rifle and I've been keeping it basic as I'd rather feed it well, but I have made a few adjustments and have a few simple things planned for it.

As it did not come with any optics I added an inexpensive BSA Red Dot. It has done surprisingly well after a few hundred rounds but I would like to eventually replace it with an AimPoint - So let me know if anyone has one to part with!

I also added some flip up MagPul sights which co-witness nicely with the red dot.

This model came with a fixed stock which I replaced with this http://www.cobraheat.com/AR15-6-Position-Collapsible-Stock-_p_503.html
thumbnail.asp

I also added a MagPul MS3 sling and a push button sling point that attaches to the bottom of the gas block.

A SureFire light and an ambidextrous safety are in it's future and I've been thinking of a flip to side red dot magnifier.
Other than that I like how light it is and don't want to add too much weight.

Brian

Bugspray

Adventurer
I want a AR-10 so bad. I was also thinking how awesome a AR 30-30 would be in dense bush. I know it is kind of comical but I am serious.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

check out the new 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. Similar ballistics to 30-30 but in an AR package.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Bushmaster XM 15 E2S. Streamlight TLR 1 S HP. Leupold 1.5 x Red Dot

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368190304943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368190304943.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 84

zimm

Expedition Leader
check out the new 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. Similar ballistics to 30-30 but in an AR package.

i intend on using my 16" 300blk on deer in local states that permit semis, but it isnt a 30/30 umless you compare it to a 1920 factory load.

the 30/30 will out gun and out run with rubber spitzers. its just shear case volume, combined with a 20" barrel.

the small 221fireball case capacity really starts to haunt the 300blk in the 150-180gr range.

of what use is the 300blk? well, in 110g it still has enough case to get real power out to 300yds, and in the super heavy rounds (208-220) its really stable and accurate, and subsonic.

if you want to take advantage of a small case that uses fast burning powders, yet isnt a useless pistol cartridge in a rifle, get a stamp and an 8-10 in barrel on your 300blk. carry a few mags of 110g and few of 220g, and a silencer, and youve got all bases covered out to 300meters.

in the end, its the rounds quick ability to SWAP from near ak47, to as quiet, but more accurate and powerful than an MP9, without doing really a damn thing.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i intend on using my 16" 300blk on deer in local states that permit semis, but it isnt a 30/30 umless you compare it to a 1920 factory load.

the 30/30 will out gun and out run with rubber spitzers. its just shear case volume, combined with a 20" barrel.

the small 221fireball case capacity really starts to haunt the 300blk in the 150-180gr range.

of what use is the 300blk? well, in 110g it still has enough case to get real power out to 300yds, and in the super heavy rounds (208-220) its really stable and accurate, and subsonic.

if you want to take advantage of a small case that uses fast burning powders, yet isnt a useless pistol cartridge in a rifle, get a stamp and an 8-10 in barrel on your 300blk. carry a few mags of 110g and few of 220g, and a silencer, and youve got all bases covered out to 300meters.

in the end, its the rounds quick ability to SWAP from near ak47, to as quiet, but more accurate and powerful than an MP9, without doing really a damn thing.

yeah agree. but in the thick brush i think the 30/30 is an awesome round and on an ar-type platform i think would be fun

robert

Expedition Leader
The tax stamp for my AAC SDN-6 suppressor finally came last week and I picked up my new toy today. :wings: (That's two stamps in that picture; one SBR and the SDN-6). I still need an optic for it; there's a section of rail on the other side for a light. I'm going to switch to a BCM Gunfighter grip also. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this coming weekend.

IMG_2347_zps7a1adc65.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne