New Adventure Trailer Chaser Owner's Experiences

G_fresh

Adventurer
I am posting this to relate our experiences with our new Chaser. This will hopefully give new or prospective owners some helpful advice as well...

How We Plan to Use the Chaser:

How We Plan to Use the Chaser:

Knowing how we plan to use this thing is important to understand why we chose the options and custom features that we did.

Ultimately, we want to complete an Around the World (ATW) trip with the Chaser in tow. This will take several years for us to begin. So, for now, we are doing local, regional, and Mexico trips with a possible Central America or Australia trip in a year or two.

Our tow vehicle is a Lexus LX450 – essentially an 80-series Land Cruiser. We sleep in the back of the truck on four inches of foam which lies directly on the interior's floor (i.e. no drawers or sleeping platform). The LX is relegated to transporting our personal effects, two spare wheels/tires, 25 gallon aux fuel tank, second battery, and, eventually, a heavy duty compressor.

Even with this relatively “light” overlanding load, we still come it right at the 6500 lb GVWR of the 80-series with full fuel, full tongue weight, and the two of us. Since we still had to carry all of our camp and cook gear, water, extra fuel, spare parts, and extra fluids, the decision to utilize a trailer was made. (We didn't want to go with any larger vehicle than the LX450.)

photo (2).jpg photo (4).jpg

Last edited:

G_fresh

Adventurer
Trailer Options and Custom Features:

Trailer Options and Custom Features:

We pretty much got a loaded Chaser with a few custom additions. Here is a list of the standard options we went with and the custom features we had AT do for us:

Standard Options:
- Tailgate
- Nose box (the new larger style)
- Roof rack load bars on top of lid
- Two 10lb propane tanks
- 20 gallon water tank with spigot
- Stainless steel sink
- Removable fender table
- Fiama awning
- Two Jerry can holders
- Max Coupler
- Electric brakes
- Deep cycle AGM battery
- LED reverse/work light
- Fridge baseplate

Custom Features:
- “Boulder Bars” in front and behind wheels
. - My wife (chickadee) originally wanted them as steps to access the main box
. - Side Benefit #1: These are essentially extensions of the frame that will deflect most obstacles from hitting the fenders and propane tanks
. - Side Benefit #2: They are a convenient vertical surface to set camp related item on
- Extra large power/ground wiring (4ga) to an Andersen power connector to be hooked up to tow vehicle
. - This is for a future solar charging from the trailer to the tow vehicle
- Bracket on Partner Steel Stove so that it attaches to main box lip
- Removable plywood table set into rear tailgate
- Cargo track installed on underside of main box lid, to hang camp/cooking items
- USB/Hela sockets near the rear of the main box, accessed via tailgate or main box
- Battery located under chassis at rear, protected by a drop down skid plate
- Extra security features: hasp lock for main lid, security nuts for hinges, etc.
- Double extension for awning, this allows for a non-hitting-my-head deployment

photo (2) copy.jpg

Last edited:

G_fresh

Adventurer
Overall Impressions on First Trip:

Overall Impressions on First Trip:

Our first trip with our new Chaser (“Lil Toot”) was to Baja over the holidays. We did about 300 miles on dirt and around 1600 miles total from Santa Barbara, CA to Guerrero Negro, BCS. Here is a link to our trip report:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/93535-Baja-12-22-12-1-02-13

Camping:

Our camping efficiency was much improved over our previous arrangement which was written about on our Copper Canyon trip report:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69986-Copper-Canyon-Trip-Report-2011

Basically, it consisted of a Rocket Box on the roof containing lightweight but bulky items such as clothing and dry food, a couple of plastic Rubbermaid boxes for camp/cook gear, a cooler, and two 7 gallon water containers. We had to fold the foam bed over every time we needed to load up the gear into the cabin to strap it down. Sleeping required unloading everything into the front seats or placing it unsecured outside.

Needless to say, the previous system got old quickly!

Now, with the Chaser, the only things we have to move around in the cabin at night are the camera/electronics bag and a few odds and ends. We leave the bedding in the back at all times.

Since we only received the trailer a couple of days before our Baja trip, we didn't really get much time to play with optimizing the packing of it. We did tweak what went where and how it was strapped down as we went down the Baja coast. This helped speed camp and cooking setup by roughly a factor of two. Once we implement some new packing ideas and new storage containers, I think we can gain another factor of two.

This is where we are at currently in the packing of the Chaser:

Main Box:
We have several of the Rubbermaid Action Packers (one 24 gallon and four 8 gallons) and they are ratchet strapped down in the main box along with the stove and two Scepter 5 gallon water cans. Of course, the fridge is semi-permanently attached to the floor of the main box with its slide. We use the underside of the main box's lid to hold bungeed up camp chairs and other odds and ends in an elastic cargo net (i.e. paper towels, dish towels, small lantern, etc.).

Nose Box:
We also call this our “Dirty Box” since it houses firewood, hatchet, dishwashing bucket, shower mat, Mr. Funnel, cleaning supplies, hiking boots/poles, wood block, and small kitchen rug which are all packed loosely.

One thing we think will help speed setup will be to integrate “bolted down” boxes of some sort that have a closeable lid. Think of something like how the National Luna fridge is bolted down via its baseplate. This will allow quick access to food and cooking gear without unstrapping and opening up stacked Action Packers. We like this idea better than drawers out of the back due to the less weight and bulkiness aspects. [We have not done much research on this type of lidded boxes. So, if anyone has anything interesting to share, please do!]

Highway Driving:

There is really not anything profound to report here.

Since the fully loaded trailer weight was only 1950 lbs, the LX450 did not seem to mind much on the flats. Steep, prolonged hill climbs (of which we have several on the way down to Baja) necessitated dropping into second gear on the auto transmission. This is not surprising since: 1) the 80 Series is known to be a little underpowered, and 2) the LX450 was just at its GVWR of around 6500 lbs with the trailer tongue weight taken into account and both of us in the vehicle.

We did get better gas milage towing the trailer! This seems counter intuitive until you realize that the speed limit for towing is 55mph in CA versus a normal 65-70mph.

Off Highway Driving:

The bottom line is that the Chaser pretty much just comes along for the ride. It didn't really hinder us in any of the terrain we encountered. The worst terrain was poorly maintained dirt roads with occasional washouts and short climbs out of washes. We also did some unmaintained desert floor two-tracks.

As far as we know, we never touched any part of the trailer to terra firma. The departure angle of the LX450 is degraded somewhat by the addition of the hitch since it protrudes back a few inches from the receiver. We did scrape the bracket (sorry don't know the proper term) that goes from the LX450's receiver to the Max Coupler several times in and out of washes for instance. We have been told by everyone, including AT, that this is not a big deal at slow speeds. I believe them.

Careful tire placement to avoid sidewall issues is a bit more challenging now in rocky/thorny terrain as would be expected going from four to six wheels. In single radius turns, the trailer's tracks follow the LX450's tracks to within a few to several inches depending on how tight the turn is.

The way the Chaser influenced our driving the most is the amount of forethought we had to give to choosing whether or not to go down a particular path. It was never a question of if the trailer could make it as long as the truck could. Rather, it was a question of if the LX could not make it down the track or if the track was a dead end, how would we reverse out or turn around?

Obviously, backing up several hundred yards in any four wheel vehicle is not fun. With a trailer in front of you, it is painful. Figuratively, since it was slow-going, taking us around 5 minutes to do a hundred yards on a two-track, and literally, since I had to bend my neck and torso around 180 degrees.

Scouting ahead on foot is always an option, but can take a long time. Dropping the trailer and driving ahead for recon is something we never tried since it, too, would have been a pain. What we did, with varying degrees of success, was to download geo-referenced satellite imagery of the proposed routes we were going to take onto our iPad. This allowed us to be able to choose tracks that had a high probability of having an exit point.

As can be imagined, downloading the imagery has several issues to make it not even close to 100% effective: conditions on the ground change, obstacles in the track are not really known, necessitates a clear view of the track (not good for jungle but works pretty well for desert), download times and data storage don't always allow for as much resolution as desired, no internet connection in the bush when proposed routes change, technology breaks, etc.

Last edited:

G_fresh

Adventurer
Impressions of Options and Custom Features:

Impressions of Options and Custom Features:

We have not fully evaluated some of the options. I will note that below. I will try to come back and edit the post as we use them...

Standard Options:
- Tailgate – Not evaluated yet. We opted for this in order to have a desk/table for two – not really as main box access. We ended up using the removable kitchen shelf that rests on the fender as a standing table for most of our meals in Baja since it was so cold and windy. We didn't do a lot of sitting around...
- Removable kitchen shelf on fender – We really like this. It gives us just enough room for food preparation. We must still figure out secure storage for this.
- Nose box (the new larger style) – This is definitely useful for a “dirty box” as noted above. We did not take up room for batteries or electronics as seems customary.
- Roof rack load bars on top of lid – Not evaluated yet (unless you consider strapping our shovel to one of them!). These are intended to be used to mount solar panels and/or random cargo at some point.
- Two 10lb propane tanks – Worked fine. One thing I will note is that when the first tank on the kitchen side runs out, you must unbolt the tanks when you swap them from sided to side. Better security though.
- 20 gallon water tank with spigot – I think once we get our leaking spigot on top of the tank figured out, the tank, spigot, and sink will work well. We intend to use this water storage as cooking and cleaning water and carry two 5 gallon Scepter cans for drinking. I do think that adding a gravity fed spigot near the bottom of the tank is a good idea as it was tedious filling our solar shower with a few gallons via the maring pump spigot.
- Stainless steel sink – It's a bit small but functional for dishwashing and hand cleaning. It does deploy easily/quickly. We must still figure out storage for this.
- Fiama awning – Not evaluated yet.
- Two Jerry can holders – Our NATO cans were a little loose in there. I need to get some more of AT's Neoprene tape to pad critical areas inside of holder.
- Max Coupler – Works awesomely.
- Electric brakes – Definitely get them if your tow vehicle has subpar brakes (like an 80-series!).
- Deep cycle AGM battery – Haven't really put it through any stringent tests yet since we moved everyday.
- LED reverse/work light – Works as it should.
- Fridge baseplate – Works as it should.

Custom Features:
- Boulder Bars in front and behind wheels – We really love these. Useful as steps to access the main box, to deflect most obstacles from hitting the fenders and propane tanks, and as a convenient vertical surface to set camp related items on.
- Extra large power/ground wiring (4ga) – Not evaluated yet. But, it is just wire...
- Bracket on Partner Steel Stove – This was added so that the stove can attach to main box lip in between the propane tank and the fender. Two bolts that are finger tightened keep it securely attached.
- Removable plywood table set into rear tailgate – Not evaluated yet. To be used as a level writing surface.
- Cargo track installed on underside of main box lid – Works really well. Used to hang camp/cooking items like chairs using bungees and paper towels within a cargo net hammock.
- USB/Hela sockets near the rear of the main box – Work as they should
- Battery located under chassis at rear, protected by a drop down skid plate – I really like this. It frees up the battery from taking cargo space. And, the battery takes up only about ¼ of the possible protected space made by the skid plate and the trailer. Maybe we can come up with some kind of secure “hidden” storage in the form of waterproof boxes within the space...
- Extra security features: hasp lock for main lid, security nuts for hinges, etc. – One hasp lock is easier to use than two padlocks on the normal latches.
- Double extension for awning – Not fully evaluated yet. The awning rattles around more than I expected. I'm not sure if this is normal or due to the extension?

Last edited:

G_fresh

Adventurer
Things of Which a New Owner Should be Aware:

Things of Which a New Owner Should be Aware:

Noises:
I'm always sensitive to noises in our vehicle, as much for an indication that something is going wrong as for sourcing them so they can be eliminated to cut down on mental fatigue. As would be expected, pulling the Chaser adds some noises that can be heard usually only when the windows are open. Here is what I think some of them are attributed to:

- Clunking from the Max Coupler shifting around slightly in the receiver.
- Rattling from the nose wheel jack, awning extensions, and Jerry cans moving around within their mounts/holders

Secure packing and rechecking whenever a new method of securing is employed is very important. We had our 5 gallon Scepter water cans come loose and push on the rear tailgate. This bent the tailgate latches and no longer allowed for a watertight seal for the gate to main box; the result was water ingress.

Bring NGLI 2 grease and grease gun for the bearings, Bearing Buddies, and Max Coupler. We had to take apart the bearings to tighten them after about 500 miles and did not bring any grease to use when reassembling. (Be able to retighten the bearings as they seat. There are about a million YouTube videos on how to do this. Also, watch Bearing Buddy's videos on how to take them off the hubs.)

Also, our Bearing Buddies pushed all the grease out of their reservoir somewhere within the first 1000 miles. AT said this was not a big deal. The grease in the bearings don't need to get replenished by the grease reservoir. But, should you want the Bearing Buddies to do their job during water crossings, you'll want to refill those on the trail.

Finally, the Max Coupler does require grease at some interval that I don't know.

Make sure you check all suspension bolts. More on this in the next section...

We opted to get the following spare parts in case of normal, possible failures:
- Pivot rod and nuts
- Set of pivot rod bushings
- Backing plate set for pivot rod
- Bearing set
- Airbag

We used none of them but they were good to look at to see how things worked when we had the issues discussed in the next section.

You may need to air down more than you would think once off pavement. We run about 14 psi per 1000 lbs of load carried per tire on the LX450. There is no “magic” with this number. We just found that 20 psi front and 25 psi rear work well for rocky and rock strewn dirt for us. So, I tried to apply this number to the trailer which translates into about 14 psi for the trailer's tires.

This seems too high for the Chaser for whatever reason. (Could it be the stiff side-walled load range E KM2's we run?) The deflection of the trailer tires was much less than the Lexus' deflection. We quickly went down to about 10 psi for the rest of Baja. We've done a weekend trip to Red Rock Canyon State Park, subsequently, and went down to 8 psi. This may be what we settle on – TBD.

Consider re-gearing. Of course the decision to carry this out will be extremely vehicle dependent.

We went from the LX450's stock 31” tires to 33”. This is a 6.5% increase in final drive ratio. I was fine with the performance compromise between on-road high-speed RPMs and off-road low-end torque of the LX450 by itself. So, when we had the chance to cheaply re-gear during our locker install and axle rebuild, we opted against it.

Now I wish we had re-geared. Our high-speed RPMs are not as much of a concern for two reasons: 1) when really overlanding, high-speed is not US interstate 70 mph, and 2) we must go slower with the trailer. Low-end torque is more important now that we are pulling 2000 more lbs. We really struggled up one large wash on the Baja coast. It was probably a 200 foot climb and steep. It was something I thought we'd be able to keep our speed going up, but we steadily lost speed. If we had to stop halfway up, I'm sure we could get going again, but it was more of a struggle than I'd like.

[Anyone have a favorite shop that will carry out re-gearing in Santa Barbara or the LA area?]

The tie downs in the bottom of the Chaser's main box are more geared for tying down side-to-side than front-to-back since all the tie downs are located along the perimeter. This necessitated us using two straps (one side-to-side strap biased to the rear and one to the front) to really lock in our water cans.

If one were so inclined, I suppose, a few tie downs could be placed in the center of the main box to allow for front-to-back strapping. Of course, that would lead to drilling holes in the main box and a non-level floor if recessed tie downs were not used.

Last edited:

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Former Chaser Owner

Congratulations on the Chaser! You're going to love it. I just sold mine to make room for the new AT Teardrop.

I may need to relocate my battery on the new teardrop. One of my thoughts is under the frame, near the rear. I'd be interested in any photos you could show of AT's "under the frame" battery solution.

Looking forward to your travel updates and impressions of the Chaser platform.

Have fun and be safe.

toymaster

Explorer
I personally think this is a good combo for world travel. The trailer gives you so much more cargo space and capability while the SUV gives you the option of stealth camping when near urban areas. Because you have the trailer the area in the SUV can be kept uncluttered giving plenty of room for the items you need quickly. Being comfortable in your personal space while on the road is key to being a "happy camper".

Have you figured how to make it fit in a 20' shipping container conveniently?

60Dan

Explorer
Looks great and I envy your planned around the world trip. No better vehicle in my opinion to pull that trailer with than an 80 series LC!

Please post up pictures of the custom features you mentioned. You know we all love pics!

G_fresh

Adventurer
I may need to relocate my battery on the new teardrop. One of my thoughts is under the frame, near the rear. I'd be interested in any photos you could show of AT's "under the frame" battery solution.

I'll try to do it a week or so when I get back from the Dominican Republic...

I think Mario from AT said the battery tray/skid plate was essentially the AT Teardrop's 20 gallon water tank skid. So, the battery just gets attached to the skid plate and the skid plate swings down in the back on a pivot. The plate is positioned at the very back of the trailer and hangs down about three inches below the bottom of the frame rails. So, departure angle and clearance are minimally affected if at all.

Hope this helps for now!

Have you figured how to make it fit in a 20' shipping container conveniently?

I don't think I should even try...

Please post up pictures of the custom features you mentioned. You know we all love pics!

I will when I get back. Will probably take a week and a half...

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement so far!

G_fresh

Adventurer
Alright. Above, I added two more posts for "Impressions of Options and Custom Features" and "Things of Which a New Owner Should be Aware". Almost done...

Like I said, I'll add pictures when I get home. Here are a few...

DSC_7593.jpg

Think we need better mud flaps?

DSC_7770.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior