The Ghost Truck

Kya

Adventurer
The time had come for a bigger back seat in our truck. We set out looking for a 4 door pickup that could carry the family and a bed long enough for our FWC Eagle. After sitting in the back seats of all the 4 door trucks, both new and used and old, we decided that the 04-06 Tundras were the most comfortable. Then the search was on. Using the internet, I found one in Washington state that had what we were looking for and more, an 06 doublecab limited with 60,000 miles. We debated flying out from Colorado to pick it up but the dealer assured us that shipping is quick and easy, "We do it all the time." We took a leap of faith and bought the truck over the phone from Colorado and agreed to have it shipped to us. A few weeks went by and nothing. For a while my wife and I were scared that the truck didn't really exist........like a ghost. The name stuck and we have been calling it the Ghost Truck ever since. Fortunately, three and a half weeks later, the truck finally arrived. We went from spooked to stoked!

First thing we did was upgrade the suspension: Camburg UCA, Icon coilovers, Icon rear shocks, and the steering bushing kit. This gave the truck a sweet smooth ride and about an inch or two of lift.

IMAG0963_zps6f9747ff.jpg

Next, was to move the camper from the Dakota into the Tundra.

IMAG0973_zpsbaae4ed8.jpg

IMAG0971_zps29ae7d6d.jpg

I was only able to work on the switch during the week after work (weekends this time of year are reserved for slaying deep powder)...

63681_474414332595332_520730175_n1_zpsa259ba5c.jpg

66734_497743550262410_1902926089_n2_zpsd4ebae01.jpg

I think the fit is perfect: camper is raised 4 inches to clear the cab and sides of the bed. I used a combination of the traditional 4 turnbuckles, and three bolts that go through the camper, through the platform using a 4x4, and through the bed. A 3/4 inch thick by 3 foot steel plate is used under the truck bed to connect the two front bolts together and hopefully distribute the force. All of the other bolts and eyebolts us the same 3/4 inch thick steel plates (in the shape of an X) under the truck bed to help reinforce each hole. This setup worked great for the Dakota and there was never any movement by the camper even on the rockiest, bumpiest Colorado mountain passes.

I ordered some sliders from Stubbs and skid plates from Skid Row. The sliders are ready to be welded on, but I haven't made it to Conifer so Andrew can help me with that installation. The skid plates are on their way, and I think that's something I can do on my own.
IMAG0969_zps0d1f84fd.jpg

When I'm in Conifer, I hope Andrew can help me make some brackets to mount this rear bumper. It was originally built for a Tacoma and came with the camper when we bought it. The bumper has been sitting in the garage for a few years now, didn't need it for the Dodge.

IMAG0978_zps65cd34d7.jpg

IMAG0977_zps3f2f3e99.jpg

The plan is to install some Firestone airbags to help carry the heavier load of the camper. Maybe next week, I can start on the airbags. I hope to update the thread with pics and adventure trips as we get more miles under the truck. Our Spring Break is coming up in April and I'm sure we'll spend the week doing something fun.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Everything looks great. What size tires are you running?

I just got a Tundra this week and loving it so far!

Kya

Adventurer
Everything looks great. What size tires are you running?

I just got a Tundra this week and loving it so far!

Thanks! Our Tundra still feels very new to us, loving it. Tires are BFG AT 265/70 on stock 17 inch wheels. They are practically new, so I'm pysched I don't have to worry about tires for a while. They do rub though at full lock in both directions. Thought the coilover lift would help, but they still rub.

dont want to get your thread off track but you may be able to answer the exact question i was going to ask tonight. you said that you sat in all of the 4 door trucks and went with the 1st gen tundra. did you sit in a similar year chevy/gmc 4 door? i've been going back and forth on this issue and always thougth that the gm fullsizes would have mopre room. what did you think? i'm going to have one booster seat and 2 fullsize car seats in the back this summer and thought that the tundra would be smaller than the gm's. did the tundra seem as big/bigger in you experience? thanks and great start on the truck.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Thanks! Our Tundra still feels very new to us, loving it. Tires are BFG AT 265/70 on stock 17 inch wheels. They are practically new, so I'm pysched I don't have to worry about tires for a while. They do rub though at full lock in both directions. Thought the coilover lift would help, but they still rub.

That's interesting. I have the same tires on stock rims and I don't have any rub. I wonder what the difference is?

Kya

Adventurer
dont want to get your thread off track but you may be able to answer the exact question i was going to ask tonight. you said that you sat in all of the 4 door trucks and went with the 1st gen tundra. did you sit in a similar year chevy/gmc 4 door? i've been going back and forth on this issue and always thougth that the gm fullsizes would have mopre room. what did you think? i'm going to have one booster seat and 2 fullsize car seats in the back this summer and thought that the tundra would be smaller than the gm's. did the tundra seem as big/bigger in you experience? thanks and great start on the truck.

Might be hard to remember now, but here is what I'm thinking. Two big reasons we liked the Tundra: 1) the back seat had a nice recline to it while all the others (including the GMC) had a more straight up almost flat position. 2) the front dashboard to the windshield was small and offered good vision. We didn't like how all the newer trucks have like two feet of plastic before the windshield starts. Nissan and Ford seemed to have the most legroom, Dodge the least. I would definitely test with your carseats to see how far you can or can't push the front seats back. But seriously, the Tundra had plenty of leg room and the seats felt like sitting in a limo to us. Also, we are a short family (I'm 5'6") so that might be a variable for you and your crew. Hope that helps.

That's interesting. I have the same tires on stock rims and I don't have any rub. I wonder what the difference is?

Huh, that is weird. You take the mud flaps off?

i'm only 5'9" my self. i ususally keep my seat a little more upright than most as well. i know what you mean about the long dash. thants how it is in my tahoe. good luck with the truck and thanks for the info

Derek24

Explorer
Nice Tundra! Just spent a week sleeping in a 4WC and wheeling with it and now I'm hooked, looking for one now!

Kya

Adventurer
Been a long while since I've done an update. We skied deep powder until late April.....

But as things slowed I was able to install the Skid Row skid plates. With the truck being so long and low, my focus has been protection. This compares the Skid Row front with the stock version. Much better protection.
IMAG1011_zpsca695891.jpg

Transmission skid plate.

Transfer case skid.

This is the best picture I could get from underneath the truck. Excellent coverage for these long trucks.

But then the snowpack settled and it was time to ski some bigger steeper lines. Mt Fletcher, skied the diagnol line in the sun, in the center of picture above the big dark cliffs...

Quick trip to Moab. Spent a few nights up Onion Creek...

We skied Crystal Peak on the first day of June (if you've ever seen Dumb and Dumber, this is the face in the background when they are doubled up on the scooter headed for Aspen. Funny stuff) So we call it the Dumb and Dumber face. Skinny, wiggly line right down the center...

Then time to get the sliders on. I went with the Standard from Stubbs Welding. The customer service was amazing and the product is solid...

Then some more skiing. Looking down the North Face of Mt. Democrat...

Truck has been resting for a month as we went to Hawaii to visit my wife's family on Oahu. These Banyan trees are really cool. The roots grow by hanging from the branches and down into the ground, crazy...

Spent a few days on Maui...

My dog passed away this May. I've had her since she was a tiny fuzz ball of a pup back in 1996. She was 17 years old and that is where my username comes from, Kya. Best dog the world has ever known. She lived an amazing life. I'm a lucky dude, and I do my best to appreciate everything around me. The fact that she lived to be 17 helps me to believe my family and I have been on the right track. Kya at my wedding....

Hard days work. Classic...

Just chillin at Alta Lakes near Telluride...

FKNA. Life is good!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles