Expedition trailer vs Teardrop trailer?

Overlandmom

www.overland4moms.com/blo
My family is new to overlanding but very enthusiastic to begin. We take our maiden voyage this May in our D2. We are traveling from VT to LA and will camp in UT, AZ, and CA.

I am hoping for some advice on whether we should acquire a teardrop trailer or expedition trailer. We are a family of 3. Our child will be 14mo old when we travel. We plan to use this in the States and Canada as much as we are able. I am completely uninformed about the benefits/drawbacks of either of these. I am not a terribly outdoorsy chick. This is my husband's passion and I think he wants to make it as comfortable for us as possible so we will want to join him on future trips.

Thanks for your input!

www.overland4moms.com/blog
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toymaster

Explorer
I copied this from a post on your blog; it highlights the issues.

"Good point, Rory. I was also thinking space wise…. Which can you pack the most into AND the most comfortable to sleep in."

The dilemma is that this is an either/or situation. The adventure trailer is more utilitarian in nature while the teardrop is more slanted toward comfort. Hands down the teardrop will provide more comfort and allow you to stealth camp if needed. A deployed RTT cannot be hidden. Both type trailers allow for an RTT which is added sleeping space on a TD that is really not needed with only three of you. On the other hand, on a utl type an RTT is your only sleeping option. Of course, you could have a sleeping platform in the D2.

Utility type adventure trailer = more storage area
Teardrop = more comfort with hard walls and a nice outdoor kitchen.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
From your post it seems like the teardrop would fit you best. I would love to have a teardrop...I see one in my future for sure.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I copied this from a post on your blog; it highlights the issues.

"Good point, Rory. I was also thinking space wise…. Which can you pack the most into AND the most comfortable to sleep in."

The dilemma is that this is an either/or situation. The adventure trailer is more utilitarian in nature while the teardrop is more slanted toward comfort. Hands down the teardrop will provide more comfort and allow you to stealth camp if needed. A deployed RTT cannot be hidden.

Utility type adventure trailer = more storage area
Teardrop = more comfort with hard walls and a nice outdoor kitchen.

I think it's obvious that there is no "One Perfect Solution" to the ideal camping set-up.

I disagree with the blanket statement "Teardrop = more comfort...". For us we had our list of "needs" and one of those was stand up height for myself (6'-1") and our own "toilet" facilities. With a teardrop it is tough to get either of these. The RTT's that have the zip on walls forming a ground level room provide the height and privacy to accomodate these needs.

I would make a list of your "wants & needs" and make a column for RTT vs Teardrop and see which one meets the most for said needs. We looked at both and are ending up with a Flip Pac! LOL!

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
We have done both, the RTT was the main draw back for my wife. She absolutely hated it. Went two or three times and refused to ever go again. The mattress, the ladder, the wind, the smell. Not too impressed with the kitchen set up, hot water was a problem. On and on. Two years ago I builti her a tear drop, she has made almost every trip since. Loves the mattress, the kitchen is functional(her words) and loves the secruity of it. But most of all not having a ladder to climb up and down, in the rain at night or just any time.

I enjoy both trailers, but security, quiet, warmth and hard walls are hard to beat for a female it seems. With just the three of you at this stage in your life, the tear drop will be no problem. But as your child grows, it will get close. Most of us offer a roof top tent for that situation. We offer a 5 man tent attached to the trailer.

Hope that answers your questions from both sides. Good Luck and have a ball on your trip.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Last edited:

G_fresh

Adventurer
Here's another option, pull a utility trailer with just your camp/cook gear. Then, sleep in the back of your D2 (if you fit). Just put a foam mattress cut to size back there; no sleep platform or drawers or anything. You can sit up comfortably and it always dry, quieter than a Roof Top Tent (RTT), and warmer. And, it gives you a good chance of keeping both the D2 and your trailer under the Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR).

I'm still in the process of writing a thread describing our set up here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/98740-New-Adventure-Trailer-Chaser-Owner-s-Experiences

Good Luck with whichever option you go with!

Overlandmom

www.overland4moms.com/blo
Thanks everybody! The security of hard walls and up and down the ladder with a baby seems dangerous. The bathroom situation isn't ideal for either which is always my biggest problem with camping. Thanks for the links I will check them out. Does anyone have recommendation for bathroom kitchen set up with teardrop?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Cabela's has a pretty nice potty/shower set up. Kitchens are included in ours. Microwave, stove, sink, and fridge. You can see pictures in the builds in this thread, shuttle pod, Old Sarges trailer. Unfortunately we are out of your time element, my guess for a Tear Drop in that short of time would be to get a hold of Gabe at SoCal Tear Drops. They have a division on the east coast. We only build 3-4 trailers a year. Gabe is a good guy and you can read about their trailer in the Adventure Duo write ups. Good Luck

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
For an in between, maybe check out something like the OZtrail tent. Where you just have a ~40" high sleeping surface with a mattress and then a 7'x7' area next to the bed. No tall ladders like an RTT and you have a place to hide out when it's raining. Plus you have a cooking area that is covered by the awning (or you can enclose that too).

-Josh

ScreenShot2013-03-17at101953PM_zps9fe4ff65.png

Vantage

Adventurer
The above trailer/tent combo is sold here in Canada, near Vancouver BC.

The company is Kakadu camping, and can be found here.
The Kakadu is great if you need the hauling capacity of a utility trailer combined with a large tent.

http://www.kakaducamping.com/

Another great trailer for someone requiring a little more room than a teardrop or RTT provides is a Kamparoo.
These are sold in Alberta Canada. They have less storage space than the Kakadu but provide a hard floor.

www.kamparoo.com

The inside of the Kamparoo is similar to this `leasure lite` bike trailer.

trailer1.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
We have done both, the RTT was the main draw back for my wife. She absolutely hated it. Went two or three times and refused to ever go again. The mattress, the ladder, the wind, the smell. Not too impressed with the kitchen set up, hot water was a problem. On and on. Two years ago I builti her a tear drop, she has made almost every trip since. Loves the mattress, the kitchen is functional(her words) and loves the secruity of it. But most of all not having a ladder to climb up and down, in the rain at night or just any time.

I enjoy both trailers, but security, quiet, warmth and hard walls are hard to beat for a female it seems. With just the three of you at this stage in your life, the tear drop will be no problem. But as your child grows, it will get close. Most of us offer a roof top tent for that situation. We offer a 5 man tent attached to the trailer.

Hope that answers your questions from both sides. Good Luck and have a ball on your trip.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958
I will quote Bob with the exception of having a ground tent with our expedition trailer. The main reason I am moving up to a teardrop is the comfort.

Thanks everybody! The security of hard walls and up and down the ladder with a baby seems dangerous. The bathroom situation isn't ideal for either which is always my biggest problem with camping. Thanks for the links I will check them out. Does anyone have recommendation for bathroom kitchen set up with teardrop?

I worked thorugh the same bathroom issue. Our teardrop will have a Camping Labs awning on the side (http://www.campinglab.com/awningacc.html) which has the option of a awning "wall." That will have a shower curtain come down (if I need more privacy than the main awning) and give us a privacy enclosure for the shower and PETT toilet.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We were camping a couple of weeks ago and an rPOd trailer was next to use. Light weight, all the amenities, space to stand up, and when I think of traveling/camping with a 14 month old there's that trade off between utility, convenience, and comfort. We considered these prior to getting our pop-up truck camper. I love the idea of a true tear drop, but it's more romantic and functional unless it's one or two people. With a 14 month old, you don't want to spend a lot of time setting up and tearing down on a long trip, IMO. Here's a link to look at rPods: http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/rpod/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94