Expedition trailer vs Teardrop trailer?

medicfernando

Adventurer
Aspenxtrails, I've been trying to find details and pictures of the three different models of trailers you make, but cannot find info on your website. What is the difference in the three models. We would love a teardrop but need room to sleep two adults and two dogs. Will your bigger trailers handle that? Thanks. PM me if it more appropriate. Fernando

Gokracer1

Adventurer
Adam,

Curious about the high wind story. What happened?

Well it was the first week in April of last year. My wife and I meet up with some friends for a hiking trip around Sevenmile Canyon of Lake Powell. We were out in the open with really nothing to tuck behind for a wind block. I tried to park the JK in front but didn't matter. It was easy 40mph winds with higher gusts. At first I had the tent fully deployed with all rain flies open. But after 2 hours with no signs of slowing down I closed them all and did my best to keep the tent tight. That saying where, "if mama ain't happy, no ones happy" applied. I must say I didn't sleep much that trip either. We have ran into that before but usually once the sun goes down the winds stops. Not this time it really never stopped.

We all know that a RTT is very easy to deploy. But that trip we also got to camp the first night at 2am. I was exhausted from the 8 hr drive after work. A teardrop we would really just crawl in and sleep, no setup. That is the other big plus.

Adam

Woods

Explorer
Not fun. Thanks for the details.

Well it was the first week in April of last year. My wife and I meet up with some friends for a hiking trip around Sevenmile Canyon of Lake Powell. We were out in the open with really nothing to tuck behind for a wind block. I tried to park the JK in front but didn't matter. It was easy 40mph winds with higher gusts. At first I had the tent fully deployed with all rain flies open. But after 2 hours with no signs of slowing down I closed them all and did my best to keep the tent tight. That saying where, "if mama ain't happy, no ones happy" applied. I must say I didn't sleep much that trip either. We have ran into that before but usually once the sun goes down the winds stops. Not this time it really never stopped.

We all know that a RTT is very easy to deploy. But that trip we also got to camp the first night at 2am. I was exhausted from the 8 hr drive after work. A teardrop we would really just crawl in and sleep, no setup. That is the other big plus.

Adam

Gokracer1

Adventurer
Not fun. Thanks for the details.

Right now we are back to our ground tent. I must say it has been a little while since we been in it and I would have to agree its really not too bad..
I am going to pay the new JK off before we look into a teardrop. I know we will be fine without one for a little while.

Arlo

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice, we decided on an RTT with expedition trailer. I wanted a teardrop (Ii think I'm a glamper...) but given our travel plans my husband thought the trailer+RTT was best. Here are some pics of our D2 pulling it...View attachment 150968View attachment 150969View attachment 150970View attachment 150971

We plan to test drive the set-up in a month. We may actually take it on the road to get equipment for our farm. I will let you know how it works for us. Thanks again for all the great info!
www.overland4moms.com/blog

Congratulations Mom! :iagree:

Good decision for sure!
What kind of tent is mounted on top?
Any pictures when pitched up?

I would like to see some action shoots very soon. :wings:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I built this for the the wife and I.
IMG_0336Medium.jpg

IMG_0337Medium.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I was going to mention your build, but they had already decided on the conquerer. You and Jeff have done a great deal of work with the Cargo trailers. Lots of room, good designs.

Did you got to the last Adventure run. I missed it. Saw the day before.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Romer

Adventurer
I went through the off road pop-up to the AT Horizon and have had a Kimberly Kamper the last 3 years. It gives me the wuick setup, comfort of my home bed, place for staorage and warmth is important to me, like having the builtin heater. Also the expandability with the awning and walls is great. If I could get the Conquer Commander here in the states I might consider another move, but until then I am happy with my Kimberley

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Adding the walls for more inside room

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did add a 2" foam topper on top of this and keep it in the Kamper even when stowed

attachment.php

Overlandmom

www.overland4moms.com/blo
Thanks everyone! We plan to test our set-up locally in a few weeks. I will post pics of the RTT fully deployed then. I'm not sure what type of RTT it is, it came with the conqueror trailer.

I really appreciate the feedback on naps and security/safety for toddler in RTT. Our little girl just turned one and she is pretty good at unscrewing lids, so unzipping zippers should be close. Hopefully it will warm up a bit and we can try it out, but it is March in VT...

www.overland4moms.com/blog
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpoScout

Explorer
That Kimberley Kamper is cool! Also, overland mom, good work on the decision.

I still have not moved towards a solution for us. Our issue is dogs. I love them and they are needy as all heck...GSDs evidently have separation anxiety, who knew. Anyway, I have my scout (SUV) and just got a tundra (truck). I point that out because the difference between truck and SUV can certainly affect your decision on sleeping arrangements. I'm planning on using the scout for shorter, warmer trips and it will likely be paired with regular ground tents or hammocks. The tundra, since it has storage space in the bed, will get a trailer. I'm thinking teardrop at this point. Too high of a tent and the pups can't get up in it. Shouldnt be an issue with a teardrop. And an adventure trailer would be redundant since I have the bed space. For an SUV ths thought process is certainly different.

Plus we are considering a move West where colder temps would make the hard-sided teardrop more useful for us.

I think given your circumstances the trailer with RTT was the most logical choice.

Thinkcooper

We just picked up a lightly used R-Pod 177, with the risers and larger tires. I want to toughen it up for some light duty off-road, dirt road camping. I'll spend this summer digging into lifting it a bit higher, protecting the gray and black water drain pipes, and tightening it up for a several week long desert mountain bike trip in late September.

The parts of the R-Pod that seem like they'll need attention, aside from clearance are bracing the rooftop AC, reinforcing the slide hardware, and toughening up some of the cabinetry. I don't think it would ever be truly trail worthy without swapping out the Dexter torsion axle for a straight axle with springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94