CBI rear hybrid w/swingout-HiLift jack
Stubbs HKO sliders
Savage front skids

MISC:
KC HiLites
Yakima rack w/basket and 2 bike trays
Drilled/slotted front rotors

PLANS:
New shocks-Bilstein/Fox (should be installed 12/10/15)

This build started over 2 years ago and I'm just making a thread...pathetic I know. I honestly don't remember what got me into Toyota's, I think I was just looking for a new 4x4 and the research I did pointed me in the Yota direction. I do remember looking for 3rd gen Runners and 80 series Cruisers. At the time I was stationed in Missouri and the picking were pretty slim. All the Cruisers had 250k+ miles and most of the 3rd gens were about the same and pretty rough. I was looking for a 99+ after doing research on here but had no luck(prices were ridiculous) even in the midwest. I ended up finding a 98 Limited with a locker for what I thought was a good price and the rest is history.

Pics from the craigslist ad
2/2013

I drove it home and couldn't stop thinking about how I just bought a car twice as old as the one I had with twice as many miles!

Luckily there was a Toyota dealership literally around the corner from where I lived. Even though I was against stealerships I took it there being that it was the only place in town I knew that would have Yota knowledge (not much import car love where I was). Im anal about maintanaince and wanted to get it taken care of before I started the fun stuff.

In the first month I ownded her I baselined all the fluids, did the water pump and timing belt, new battery, fuel filter, pcv valve and air filter.

Then after much research it was time to lift. I went with about 1.5in front and rear with OME shocks and struts and 265/75/16 BFG ATs.

I wasent too happy with how it looked but I figured it would probably grow on me.

First time taking her "off road"

Which resulted in this...

Basically the front sway bar link broke which let the bar literally go into the CV boot and....ya. So while that was getting sorted out I had the LBJ's replaced with OEM naturally.

Took off the running boards and painted the wheels

Time to hit the trails

I realized I need rock sliders and after lots of research on here I contacted Mr. Stubbs. Ended up talking to him for over an hour (awesome guy) and ordering a set of the HD-SKO sliders. For some reason I didnt take any pics of the install...I remember it being over 100 degrees while we were painting them so I probably wasent worried about documenting the experience.

Exactly 1 year after buying the Runner (I just noticed in my records) It was time to finnally lift 3in and put on 33's.

I got a great deal on some LC wheels on TTORA and ordered up some OME 883 and 891s (after researching on here of course). For rubber I went with General Grabber AT2's, they were a good price and BrianSD_42 reccomended them so they must me good.:thumb:

A pic the night everything was installed

Last edited:

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
I went on some day trips here and there and met up the the guys from MO4WD (good dudes) but I NEEDED to do a UT/CO trip. I had been to Moab before but only mountain biked and i hed never been to Telluride. So I took off 2 weeks and hit the road. I ended up becoming good friends with the tech guys at the dealership and was lucky enough to get lots of "discounts" since I was always in there. Before I left I replaced the radiator with another OEM, changed all the belts AND the day before I left we noticed the driver side valve cover was cracked:********:. I left it over night and they cranked on it to get it done before I left the next day. While they were in there they replaced both valve cover gaskets and plug seals.

Somewhere in here I added Savage front skids, that I got off a guy selling his T4R

All poser shots naturally
5/2014

Not all the pics just the ones on my computer. Amazing trip, but left me wanting to run Kokopelli and White Rim...

2 months after I got back my starter and alternator went out in the same month which I though was funny. Replaced those with OEM and will hopefully get another 200k miles ouf of them.

10/2014

It was about time ro move back home to CA so I changed all the fluids and rented a trailer. I believe it was a 5x8 box from haul, forget how much it all weighed with the Runner but it was a lot. The drive home was uneventful until the hitch pin broke coming down a mountain in San Bernadino. Luckily the safety chains kept the trailer attached to the vehicle as it pushed me across 3 lanes into the shoulder. It was a nightmare but made for a good story I guess. I have no pics from the trip for some reason.

Now that I was back from I really wanted to finally get bumpers. I originally wanted the ARB for the front but it just seemed like a lot of work and then you still have to modify it to get good approach clearance...BUT it looks soooooo sick. I also knew I wanted a rear swing out so I could get my spare ouf of the back. I went with CBI, they had good prices and offered powder coating.

Somewhere in there my ignition locked up so I got a new tumbler and keys which are the nice plastic one(hated those all metal ones)

Pics from Big Bear trip with the bumper. I noticed I never rub anymore and the 33's alwayes rubbed in the rear when stuffed. AWESOME

3/2015

Got a flat of course

Took her in for an oil change aaaaaaand found out the rear axle seals were leaking (it was only a matter of time). WHile that was getting done I needed to do something about the braked but the TBU doesn't clear with the LC wheels(which I love) so i went with drilled and slotted rotors which have been great so far.

I did some general maintnaince myself the other day. Put in a new Diehard Platinum batter, spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve and grommet.

Clay bar and wax yesterday (most current pic)
7/2015

BIG thanks to everyone on here, definitely wouldn't have been able to to everything and wouldnt have got so many great ideas and info.

Not sure whats next... List of Wants:

Winch
LED bar for front bumper

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome 3rd Gen! Really like how clean you have kept it and the grille/bumper combo looks great. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman