99 4-runner coil spring's

Snowdrift

Hello all, a few months ago I traded my 85 toyota truck for an 99 toyota 4runner It has a 6'' fabtech lift on the front, they lifted the rear with a custom 3 link and by stretching the coil springs. The ride is nice and soft, but I plan on using this truck for expedition type four wheeling and the problem I'm having is the rear springs are to soft to support any extra weight. I have looked at Airlift and they don't offer any air bags for an longer than stock spring. Has any one here gone through this? Or have any Ideas?

Last edited:

Snowdrift

here is a couple pictures
IMG_2255.jpg
IMG_2254.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Looking at your truck I can tell that it was intended as more of a crawler/trail rig that an expo rig yes no? The truck looks awsome, and just being sa toyota, you're so close to perfection it hurts ;) But from waht I'm guessing you're trying to do, the suspension is your only real major limiting factor. And I've got to say, I LOVE the rear bumper and it looks like it's well armored...

For starters on the Expo type prep:

-I get the impression from your "toy's" mounted on the roof that we have similar needs in terms of gear hauling ability ;) I'm a rafter and Kayaker and all that gear translates into weight and lost space. Luckilyyou've got the 3.4 to haul it all around (I'm hauling all the crap with a 22Re HAHAHAHA) With the 4 Runners, a basket rack should be a priority.

-I don't know how you feel (physicaly) in the truck, but all that lift and weight up high make for (to me) an unnerving and scarry ride at speed and in off camber situations. it's harder with the Runners (newer ones like yours, not my Gen1) to get lift and Wb worked out because of the radius arms and coils. Honestly, if it were me, I'd have tossed the coils and skipped the "custom" 3link in favor of some good ol leaves. While they don't ride as smooth usualy and they're not as "extremely" flexy in general, a leaf rear end will have alot more payload capacity and be a far simpler/reliable sus[ension. meaning the springs themselves locate the axle whereby you don't need a link system.

- I don't know much about the 3rd gen fabtech lift, is it a full sub frame replacement or new A-arms adn coil overs? If it's adjustable, I'd suggest lowering it and geting some HD OME coils to get it level in the rear. While you can get coils streched (as you have) you severly limit the tunability and pregressiveness of the coil itself by reducing the number of wraps used to attain the lift.

-Are the Diffs re-geared to match the tires you're running? One thing about doing expo type trips is having the feasable range and capacity to get there and back. With those huge tires and the stock gears you're definately losing fuel economy and you have alot of rolling resistance with those wide suckers.

keep the pics comin mate, you'll find were all really really big suckers for pictures HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Cheers and Happy paddling

Dave

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
you could look into some landcruiser OME springs for the front for the 2.5" lift

i have some and are thicker then regular, might lift it to about 6.5" in the rear maybe 7

Snowdrift

I hadn't thought if using LC springs, I'll have to look in to it, thats for sure. Don't want to take the lift off the front so I'll be needing about 6''.

sami

Explorer
Nice rig.. It almost ended up in my driveway about 4-5 months ago ;)

I'll echo looking into the LC springs for the rear spring issues. IIRC that rig has all the SC upgrades and whatnot... I'm sure power is that last thing that you lack :)

Snowdrift

sami said:
Nice rig.. It almost ended up in my driveway about 4-5 months ago ;)

I'll echo looking into the LC springs for the rear spring issues. IIRC that rig has all the SC upgrades and whatnot... I'm sure power is that last thing that you lack :)

Ya, the power is great and I'm amazed at how much gear I can stuff in it too.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
Nice Runner.

Looks like you've got a capable rig.

I like that rear bumper, access to the tire and jerry cans with the swing open.
Slick. Any idea who fabd it?

Clay

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Seems to be some confusion here. You can't use a Land Cruiser coil on your "coil-over-strut" style from suspension. The LC coils will not only be dimensionally wrong, but far too light of spring rate too.

You can however use Land Cruiser FRONT coils in the REAR of your 4Runner. Stock LC coils give an ~2.5" lift, with the lift you need you might look into some 3" lift LC coils with a much higher spring rate than your current coils. Any idea what spring rate coils it has now?

Snowdrift

cruiseroutfit said:
Seems to be some confusion here. You can't use a Land Cruiser coil on your "coil-over-strut" style from suspension. The LC coils will not only be dimensionally wrong, but far too light of spring rate too.

You can however use Land Cruiser FRONT coils in the REAR of your 4Runner. Stock LC coils give an ~2.5" lift, with the lift you need you might look into some 3" lift LC coils with a much higher spring rate than your current coils. Any idea what spring rate coils it has now?

It's my rear that am having issues with I'm not sure what my current spring rate is. I did have a chance to weigh my 4-runner (loaded) this weekend, I weighed in at 5800lbs with the rear axle weighing in at 3100lbs. So if i have this right a OME 3'' LC front lift coil should lift my rear 5.5''.

Snowdrift

SWDesertTaco said:
Nice Runner.

Looks like you've got a capable rig.

I like that rear bumper, access to the tire and jerry cans with the swing open.
Slick. Any idea who fabd it?

Clay
I built it myself, still working on latch and other small details trial and error. The bumper is also a 6.5 gallon air tank. Haven't got a air compressor yet, But I would like to fit a york compressor under the hood when I get more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior