'99 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 6 bolt to 8 bolt conversion???

kd0ezq

I am curious to know if the Unit Bearings between a 1500 6 bolt and a 1500HD 8 bolt are the same? I am looking at changing out rear ends, and have found a rear end out of a 1500HD pickup that has 8 bolts, and I wonder if I can change out the front ends easily...

THanks

gmcpimpin

Observer
I am curious to know if the Unit Bearings between a 1500 6 bolt and a 1500HD 8 bolt are the same? I am looking at changing out rear ends, and have found a rear end out of a 1500HD pickup that has 8 bolts, and I wonder if I can change out the front ends easily...

THanks

No the 6 lug unit bearing is three bolts too the knuckle, the eight bolt is 4 bolts too the knuckle.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Wonder if the whole knuckle will swap without much trouble?

Not sure if the CV shaft is the same on that end either.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Check the bolt pattern on the light duty 1500HD unit bearing assembly it maybe only three bolt like you already have.
A knuckle change out may work but the lower control arm is still sheet metal 1500 and that may cause an issue down the road if over worked. You have rack or steering box that may matter too.

While light duty 2500 trucks have 8 lugs they may very well have sheet metal lower control arms too which may or may not be the same as the 1500.

That rear 14 bolt is a semi-floater i believe. Parts counter guy or searching web can get you part numbers to see which are the same fitment or not.

gmcpimpin

Observer
The 1500HD wheel bearings are the same 4 bolt inner. The CV bolt in but I believe are longer on the 2500 chassis.The 2500 knuckle doesn't swap. The lower ball joint mount geometry isis different.
The only way to get a 8 lug front wheel bearing is too use a Dodge 2500 front wheel bearing it has 3 bolt inners but it doesn't have a wheel speed sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior