OPERATION: Overland VEHIcross

How many chocolate chip cookies can you eat in one sitting? Overland unrelated

• Total voters

ExpoScout

Explorer
Well, I try and give some input. You can take it for what it's worth. Admittedly, I haven't had the experiences as some around here in sheer length of trips, but I've spent enough miles and nights in vehicles to have formed my own opinion of things I guess you could say.

For me, once you get into the proper mindset, the outfitting will do itself (along with some money). Though some people around here view this hobby as just another vehicle obsession, it's much more than that. People have been overlanding for a long time. Many of our parents and grandparents did it with bone stock vehicles and camping gear. But without the means of transportation it is literally just camping.

So with that being said I try to focus on sheer reliability first. If you haven't already, go through all the vehicle systems and make sure they are tip top. Along the way gain a working knowledge of the systems. A little knowledge can be the difference between a fun trip, even if limping home, versus a rescue mission. Bring spares for the essentials. Obviously fluids are a good start, drive belts, etc. No one expects you to carry a spare driveshaft or something, just use your judgement.

From there my mind goes to protection. You've got the vehicle reliable, now protect it. Skids, diff guards, things of that nature are all good. Some are more necessary than others. Once again use judgement.

The next logical step is capability. If you can add clearance, strength, flex, etc. in a reasonable way that doesn't sacrifice the reliability or safety of the rig, go for it.

Other aspects to start looking at next would be self-recovery capabilities and range. Winch, shovels, extra fuel cans, etc. can all help out here. From there comforts might be next such as a fridge, better sleeping arrangements, etc.

Sorry, I know this is all a bit theoretical. It's just the way I approach things. Some of the things I listed may be higher on other people's priority lists. I ask if I could do a one day trip...then a weekend trip....then a week long trip...then a month long trip. If you go after it like that, you will likely mod things in the correct order.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Here's some Roof Top Tent, LED lights, and the cooler :)

IMG_1461_zpsde8ae8d0.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsa5cb8ca1.jpg

IMG_1454_zps84da3a05.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsa4bc0564.jpg

IMG_1452_zps8ecebe7e.jpg

What do you guys think?

Looking for Ram Mounts for the computer and a new AC inverter

Other than that all I need is to finish the wrap, awning, OME springs, and a water tank. Looking forward to my first camping trip/hike this spring!

bansil

Adventurer
your tranny will not like those lights there (unless you swapped in a 5spd)
spare parts?

Have you already modded the TOD for selective lockup and use in LOW?

maybe a spare lockup solenoid for the TOD (they do burn up and a spare will not be fun to find)

stock tierods(or upgrade to hvy duty ones)

a couple c/v boots

not much more than normal for maintenance

and unless you add alot more places to use as jack points, just leave the heavy thing at home

Ala5ka

VX'er
So far (alaskan winter) no heat problems. I don't know how to do a true TOD off, I heard it was a myth more or less. Getting some OME 919 springs (heavy load Trooper springs) and some manual hubs.

here's some RTT and random recent adventure pics

IMG_1467_zps1634ce5f.jpg

IMG_1463_zpsec0c4a32.jpg

IMG_1475_zps1ddebbf0.jpg

IMG_1476_zps11ee4337.jpg

Ala5ka

VX'er
needing to reposition the lights, they almost fell off. I guess I have to weld up some tabs. Here are some pics from yesterdays trip to Portage Glacier and Port Whittier

GOPR0005_zps06a4ad25.jpg

GOPR1929_zpsfb63591e.jpg

GOPR1933_zps1ea8526f.jpg

GOPR1935_zps7dcc1e05.jpg

nucktaco

Adventurer
looks like a neat build and should be a fun road trip.

which model of tepui tent is that? i was thinking of picking one up for a trip to alaska/yukon next year.

Idahoan

Adventurer
I had one for some time and a good friend had one. We both got rid of them because of the high oil consumption and frequent transmission problems. Isuzu used a POS Chevy transmission. Be sure to keep a radio or phone with you.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Thankfully I don;t have oil burning issues yet and the tranny is solid on the road so far. The lift is going in next Monday, pics to follow. Threw the bike on it this week to begin the Alaskan cycling season (it's a fixie...gasp!) Planning an overnight to Portage this weekend and a prototype awning that will hopefully be made by Alaska Tent and Tarp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles