JKJenn's M416 Build

JKJenn

Adventurer
Good news!! The lid is finally done. Now, I just need to find the time to get out and pick it up! :)

TRailer With Cover 1.jpgTRailer with Cover 2.jpg

I haven't seen the struts yet or how they are mounted. I ma looking forward to mounting the tent on this thing!

JKJenn

Adventurer
Dropped off the wheel adapters to be machine out today - $20 a piece. Also dropped of the tires to be mounted the rims today. $18 a piece.

Next step will be to pick the trailer up in Cleveland this weekend. I will get a temporary OH registration and then begin the process of getting it titles and registered in PA (sigh.)

My travels this year are not nearly as remote, so I might skip the water set-up until next year - we will see. I have to think through the plumbing set-up a bit more. If anyone has photos of their set-ups, I would love to see them.

I will prioritize the battery/fuse box, however. I really don't want to spend the money on tongue box for a battery box but I can't seem to find a better alternative. I have also thought about drawer slides for my Yeti cooler, but I am planning on traveling to Wyoming this fall, so I am not sure I will want to store the cooler in the trailer below the RTT, even if it is a bear-proof cooler. I am thinking the cooler and camp kitchen will need to go in the Jeep at night. It's my first trip to grizzly bear country and really my first camping trip to bear country.

Septu

Explorer
I have also thought about drawer slides for my Yeti cooler, but I am planning on traveling to Wyoming this fall, so I am not sure I will want to store the cooler in the trailer below the RTT, even if it is a bear-proof cooler. I am thinking the cooler and camp kitchen will need to go in the Jeep at night. It's my first trip to grizzly bear country and really my first camping trip to bear country.

You can if you want, but you don't 'need' to. Wash your dishes and clean up your garbage and whatnot after cooking. The biggest thing that will attract a bear (or any other animal) will be left over food and garbage.

I'm almost certain that we have more bears per capita up here than anywhere else in North America (17k bears to ~35k people). While I usually pack a shotgun when I go out and about (more just because I have one) it's not something that I'm really worried about. Keep your site and gear clean, and you likely won't have any issues. Either make sure to dispose of garbage in bear proof bins, or burn it in the camp fire.

JKJenn

Adventurer
You can if you want, but you don't 'need' to. Wash your dishes and clean up your garbage and whatnot after cooking. The biggest thing that will attract a bear (or any other animal) will be left over food and garbage.

I'm almost certain that we have more bears per capita up here than anywhere else in North America (17k bears to ~35k people). While I usually pack a shotgun when I go out and about (more just because I have one) it's not something that I'm really worried about. Keep your site and gear clean, and you likely won't have any issues. Either make sure to dispose of garbage in bear proof bins, or burn it in the camp fire.

Thanks for the tips. I have probably watched one too many "bear aware" videos that have me a little too concerned, though I'd be a fool not to be slightly concerned. :)

Yellowstone definitely has bear-proof trash containers and I think they have food lockers, too. Truthfully, I am a little more afraid of people taking off with my cooler or camp kitchen than I am the bears taking off with it.

I am starting to get pretty stoked for the trip and the trailer. I am picking up the tires and wheel adapters tonight.

Septu

Explorer
Thanks for the tips. I have probably watched one too many "bear aware" videos that have me a little too concerned, though I'd be a fool not to be slightly concerned. :)

Yellowstone definitely has bear-proof trash containers and I think they have food lockers, too. Truthfully, I am a little more afraid of people taking off with my cooler or camp kitchen than I am the bears taking off with it.

I am starting to get pretty stoked for the trip and the trailer. I am picking up the tires and wheel adapters tonight.

I was always worried about people screwing with my stuff... however in my travels I've yet to have any issues. This summers trip I went down with the soft top, and frequently had the soft doors on (usually just the half doors), and never locked the trailer until I was on my way back north. My fridge was even in plain sight the whole time (in the jeep). If I was leaving the trailer somewhere (camp site) and taking off for the day I'd clean up and pack most of my gear so it was out of sight. And I'd lock the trailer.

But then I'm fairly trusting of people, and go with the theory that if it's out of sight, and I've locked things up (glove box, doors, center console. etc) that I should be good. And to date, I have been.

As for the bears... yeah just be aware, and be clean and you'll likely be fine. People get paranoid about them... but grizzlies and black bears don't normally attack humans... One just needs to use common sense. So don't send your kid out with peanut butter on his hand for a picture.

Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos - everyone likes looking at pictures!! Have fun!

JKJenn

Adventurer
WP_20130720_001.jpgWP_20130720_002.jpgWP_20130720_003.jpgWP_20130720_004.jpg
I was always worried about people screwing with my stuff... however in my travels I've yet to have any issues. This summers trip I went down with the soft top, and frequently had the soft doors on (usually just the half doors), and never locked the trailer until I was on my way back north. My fridge was even in plain sight the whole time (in the jeep). If I was leaving the trailer somewhere (camp site) and taking off for the day I'd clean up and pack most of my gear so it was out of sight. And I'd lock the trailer.

But then I'm fairly trusting of people, and go with the theory that if it's out of sight, and I've locked things up (glove box, doors, center console. etc) that I should be good. And to date, I have been.

As for the bears... yeah just be aware, and be clean and you'll likely be fine. People get paranoid about them... but grizzlies and black bears don't normally attack humans... One just needs to use common sense. So don't send your kid out with peanut butter on his hand for a picture.

Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos - everyone likes looking at pictures!! Have fun!

Always good to be re-assured. I am truthfully more concerned with running into rattlesnakes at Badlands NP. :)

Trailer is now at home. Put the wheel adapters and JK wheels on before I drove it home. I was a little worried that the taller tires would make the tongue un-level with the hitch, but it was not an issue.

Will schedule my enhanced safety inspection for the end of the month. Going to start working on figuring out what to use for a battery box. I ordered a new to me lens for my camera last week so I won't be putting a ton more money into the trailer this year, unfortunately.

My step-father did not add struts to the lid. that my be the one enhancement (apart from battery box) I try to do before I leave for Wyoming.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice Jenn.
As stated before, Silver paint would look great.

Good luck with the advanced Pa BS inspection.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. Paint job won't happen this year, but I really would like to get it painted next year. It needs some additional body work, too to patch some small rust spots. I must admit, I have been toying with replacing the tub with one of the Dinoot fiberglass military tub kits.

Has anyone used a hitch extender with one of these guys? Backing them up with a JKU is pretty miserable. My brother, who spent years driving with trailers even struggled. I was thinking about snagging an extension to use just when I had to back up. If you use one, what length would you recommend?

JKJenn

Adventurer
Tent is mounted..

WP_20130725_002.jpg

I think I am going to go with these struts from McMasters (thanks to Scott from the Tventuring forum.):

WP_20130728_010.jpg

I am thinking about going with 2 of the 150 lb struts. Pulled out the components for battery box and camp shower yesterday. I think I am going to be good to go. Might need a couple of components but otherwise OK. I might not upgrade to deep cycle battery this year and try to get away with my existing 12v battery. It should work for charging batteries and hopefully the pump for the Camp Chef camp shower.

WP_20130724_011.jpg

Last edited:

JKJenn

Adventurer
I was trying to figure out where to mount the Hi-lift jack tonight. I don't think there is enough room to mount above the fenders. I think my options are on the lid, on top of the fenders, or inside. I want to leave front clear for an eventual tongue box. Right now I am leaning towards the lid. It seems like on top of the fender it could get caught on something too easily. I picked up these brackets a few months ago to use for mounting.

I was sizing it up tonight - here is what it looks like mounted on the front.

WP_20130729_003.jpg

JKJenn

Adventurer
Slow progress continues....

HighlanderCJ-7 helped me with the fender swap last week and I had it inspected today. I have a plate and temporary registration, hopefully the title will come from the state with not too much trouble. I picked up a 12" receiver extender today and had the inspection shop repack the bearings and they replaced the seals, too. My elbow has been giving me grief or I would have tackled the bearings myself.

I want to get the battery box together this weekend. I think the water setup is going to have to wait until next year. I will just get something to store water for showers and drinking water. This trip is going to be mostly at NP campgrounds, so I will have access to water. I am just happy I will be able to have a hot shower since most of the campgrounds with facilities will be closed.

WP_20130902_11_15_02_Pro.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking good Jenn!

I did pretty much the same, a little last year, a lot this year... a lot of planning over the winter. Love the JK Wheels on the trailer, would match my WK nicely!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior