JKJenn's M416 Build

JKJenn

Adventurer
I picked up an M416 last Friday from ExPo member Rightovercrest.

It has already been modded to add a tailgate, although I want to find a way to fix the gap. The wiring has already been converted over to 7 pin. It is, essentially, usable as is, which is a major bonus. Here are pics that were on the original ExPo thread:

Trailer 1.jpgtrailer 2.jpgTrailer 3.jpgTrailer 4.jpg

It is currently sitting in Cleveland with my Step-Father so he can fab a plywood lid for it. I am using Scott's build from Dinoot/Compact Camping as my inspiration for the lid. The goal is to be able to protect and lock items in the trailer. I also have to add some sort of locking mechanism to the tailgate, perhaps as simple as a padlock.

I plan on mounting the RTT directly to the trailer lid. I weighed the pros and cons of getting 2-3 crossbars like a Rhino Rack or Yakima rack but ultimately decided mounting directly to the lid makes sense. Scott has said he has had no issues with moisture.

My plans for this summer include:

1. Building a battery box (probably using the HF tongue box) with:
  • Marine fuse panel
  • 12v AGM Gel Battery (already have)
  • At least 1 12v outlet
  • Inverter
  • All-weather AC outlet
  • Shore Power inlet
  • Guest Marine 12v Charger

2. Replacing the Crager Soft 8's with stock Rubicon wheels and using 5x5.5 to 5x5 adapters so I only need one spare. I have a couple of JK tires for the trailer now it is a matter of selling the M416 wheels and Crager Soft 8's. I have thought about keeping the stock M416 wheels and getting new tires if I can't sell the others, but we will see. I would rather not have to find another.

3. Mounting an RV water tank and connecting my Camp Chef water heater/pump. I am thinking about rigging the plumbing to a spigot like ExPo member Mark Harley did.
I am also considering adding a receiver tube extender to help with backing up (what a pain.)

4. Mounting a 5lb propane tank on the trailer.

I am considering other options for future mods, but since I don't weld, it will be down the road. I think I would really like a slide out for my Coleman Roadtrip grill an possibly a platform slide for my Yeti cooler. I would also like a chuck box. I am now monitoring CL for a suitable toolbox that can be converted to a chuck box or, perhaps, one of those Swiss Field Desks. I am also thinking about the possibility to mounting a counter surface to the inside of the tailgate. We have a nice building reuse shop called Construction Junction here in the 'Burgh and I am due for a visit. I might get some ideas there. It is also almost Estate Sale season where great bargains can be found. Pittsburgh seems to have more and better estate sales than other cities.

I would like to paint the trailer to match my JK, but since that will require sandblasting it will likely not happen this year.

So, here starts the build!

AdamCollen

Looks like an awesome start. Tailgate looks good, I don't see the gaps you're referring to, maybe better pictures of the tailgate would help us give you ideas on how to make it sit better.

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
That's the trailer I tried to buy, but you beat me to it! Congrats! I managed to find one myself, so it all worked out for everyone. :)

Looks like our build plans are similar too! I'll be watching this thread.

JKJenn

Adventurer
That's the trailer I tried to buy, but you beat me to it! Congrats! I managed to find one myself, so it all worked out for everyone. :)

Looks like our build plans are similar too! I'll be watching this thread.

Glad you found one, too! Let me know when you get a build thread started. We need to plan some sort of W PA/W NY meet-up, maybe somewhere up around the Erie Gamelands.

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
My build thread's just a few lines down, already up. Niagara Overland does about one trip per month, right now all of our trips are scheduled for up in Canada. If you have any locations in PA, I know we'd have a few takers on that.

JKJenn

Adventurer
972A3906.jpg972A3922.jpg972A3925.jpg
Looks like an awesome start. Tailgate looks good, I don't see the gaps you're referring to, maybe better pictures of the tailgate would help us give you ideas on how to make it sit better.

Thanks, unfortunately, not many photos of the tailgate right now and it is sitting in another state while the lid is built. :) It is a sturdy tailgate, I just want to close up the gap. I am not expecting complete waterproofing in the tub, but would be nice not to have large gaps. I have thought at minimum I could fashion a plug of softs from weather stripping.

AndrewDM

Adventurer
Nice Looking trailer, I like your plans for it. You may be able to close the gap around the tailgate with a piece of angle positioned so that the tailgate closes against it, like door stop on a door. I can post up some pics of the tailgate of my trailer if you want some ideas.

-Andy

JKJenn

Adventurer
Nice Looking trailer, I like your plans for it. You may be able to close the gap around the tailgate with a piece of angle positioned so that the tailgate closes against it, like door stop on a door. I can post up some pics of the tailgate of my trailer if you want some ideas.

-Andy

Good idea - I wil have to think on it!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Construction Junction is a great place for materials and ideas.
Trailer looks great. dismount the military tire and sell the rims on ebay or craigslist.
The soft 8 should be an easy local sale too.

Keep us posted on the add ons when you start them.

Dave Schramm

Jenn,nice build..i love the jeep.and now this trailer...you will now have room in the JK for ur camera gear.....hope to run in to you out on the trail sometime..

JKJenn

Adventurer
Jenn,nice build..i love the jeep.and now this trailer...you will now have room in the JK for ur camera gear.....hope to run in to you out on the trail sometime..

That would be great! I know I don't travel light and part of my problem is I am also dabbling with timelpase photography, which involves more gear.

I ran into ExPo member Bret Edge last year at the first spot I stopped to shoot in Moab. You never know who you will run into.

Last edited:

JKJenn

Adventurer
Thanks for asking. The trailer is still sitting in cleveland waiting for the lid to be built. It was in line behind a bathroom remodel. I believe work should begin (may have already) any time now. I don't think it will take long. One major perk I learned was that my step-father who is building the lid orked with the M416's back in his military days. Once I get the lid, I will work on getting it registered - what a hassle in PA.

I have obtained a couple of of the Rubicon Moab rims and hope to get enough money here this month to get the right wheel adapters. I have also been collecting cmponents for a battery box so I will start working on thaat and getting it registered as soon as I have the lid done.

rockwood

Adventurer
When I see lids like that I always want to find a way for the lid to do double duty as a kitchen countertop/bar/etc.

JKJenn

Adventurer
When I see lids like that I always want to find a way for the lid to do double duty as a kitchen countertop/bar/etc.

I am using it to mount the RTT on and to so I can store stuff inside and help keep some of the dust/rain out. :) I am looking forward to see how much room I have left after I mount the tent. I am one to try to take advantage of as much space as possible. I have kitchen chuck box and I will use that plus tailgate for cooking/small table. But, that does make me think of additional ways to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior