3D CAD files for FG?

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Greetings -
I just joined your forum because of my new inspiration to build a FG-based camper. The FG is an irresistible project truck.

Couple Questions:
-Does anyone know if there are 3D files available for the FG140 chassis?
My plan is to build the camper body from scratch, so I figure I have a long design phase ahead of me. 3D files would save a lot of time. Otherwise I already have the 2D PDF drawings.

-Has anyone built a pass-through cab? This is a high priority for us - cuts down on bathroom stops.

I previously traveled in a Dodge/Cummins 4X4 with truck camper. I considered building a custom chassis on the dodge, but I couldn't manage to find enough inspiration. We (wife and I) currently use a 1977 Bluebird Wanderlodge FC31. It's an awesome vehicle, but has obvious limitations offroad.

Thanks for you help.
Brent

39Ronin

Adventurer
Hello,

I have PDF's (not sure if they are the same as yours) that might help you, they are not 3D CAD drawings but still will be helpful.

PM your email address so I can send them to you.

Last edited:

kdgreene

Observer
Mitsubishi Plans

Hi Brent,

We've just returned from Australia where we had the opportunity to met several other owners of campers built on the Mitsubishi 4x4 frame like our own FG.

In regards to your question about pass-throughs, the ones we saw were all built by Amesz in Perth, AU. They have a pass-through that is the size of the rear window of the cab, thereby eliminating the need to cut a doorway in the back of the cab. The new Fuso is now being sold down under so they probably have redesigned their pass-through accordingly.

My suggestion would be to telephone them (I'd recommend Skype for it's cost) and talk to them directly about buying their pass-through for your truck. Why reinvent the wheel if not necessary.

Feel free to ask us questions that you may come up with during your design phase, we may have considered something similar.

Good luck with the design. By the way, I've asked a friend in OZ if they'd take the time to draw out the design of their camper as we thought it was one of the best designs that we have seen. If I get it, I'll send it along to you.

Don
http://www.QuestConnect.org

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Thanks. I've been eyeing the Amesz vehicles - they are great looking and look professionally constructed. I was in email contact with them, but wasn't able to get too much information. When I have specific questions I'll give them another try - can't hurt.

I'm currently modeling the FG140 and researching, and then will first focus on the torsion-free sub-frame.

Question:
Do you know of any clearance problems between the sub-frame and the rear tires on any of the FGs? It seems in many designs the sub-frame height it determined by the front section of the frame.

Last edited:

kdgreene

Observer
Frame clearance

Our box was built and installed by Unicell in New York. They had specs from Mitsubishi regarding clearance. We have never had an issue with clearance or twisting. Try emailing Mitsubishi for those specs. We've had good luck contacting a Mitsu engineer by the name of Leighton Good, address: wlgood@mitfuso.com

Donald Greene
www.questconnect.org
Adventure Learning Foundation

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Subframe clearance
Bajaroad said:
Do you know of any clearance problems between the sub-frame and the rear tires on any of the FGs? It seems in many designs the sub-frame height it determined by the front section of the frame.

We had interference problems between the rear tires and the subframe with our initial build. Our fabricator did not follow the clearance requirements in the builder drawings referenced in an earlier post on this thread.

When we had the custom spring packs built by Deaver Spring I added 1.5" to the ride height of the entire frame. That gave us some extra ground clearance and also eliminated our sub-frame to rear tire clearance problems.

Passthrough
This was a big design consideration for us. We spent a month living in a rental RV that included a passthrough exactly like the one Don describes, made from the rear cab window.

Prior to the rental we ranked a pass-through as requirement #1.

In that month we never once used the pass through.

We ended up using that area for a garage and haven't regretted it. I'd probably do the garage again even if we weren't taking motorcycles.

We've lived full time in our rig for six months and a pass through just hasn't been an issue. I can't say as we've ever missed it.

If your concept of pass-through utilization is for bathroom stops, I think you will find that a window design is not practical for easy entry and exit. You'll want to stop and walk around anyway.

In addition, when driving an FG, occaisonal stops are often welcome, just to stretch your legs. We've made successive 500+ mile days and have never felt like we were sacrificing our progress for a few bathroom stops.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Bajaroad said:
Greetings -
I just joined your forum because of my new inspiration to build a FG-based camper. The FG is an irresistible project truck.

Couple Questions:
-Does anyone know if there are 3D files available for the FG140 chassis?
My plan is to build the camper body from scratch, so I figure I have a long design phase ahead of me. 3D files would save a lot of time. Otherwise I already have the 2D PDF drawings.

-Has anyone built a pass-through cab? This is a high priority for us - cuts down on bathroom stops.

I previously traveled in a Dodge/Cummins 4X4 with truck camper. I considered building a custom chassis on the dodge, but I couldn't manage to find enough inspiration. We (wife and I) currently use a 1977 Bluebird Wanderlodge FC31. It's an awesome vehicle, but has obvious limitations offroad.

Thanks for you help.
Brent

Brent, I think I know you from the Wanderlodge forum. I have an 82 Wanderlodge. I came here for precisely the same reason you did. Odd.

Kerry

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Wanderlodge to FG

Kerry, great minds think alike - Wanderlodge . . . FG.
We just took our second trip to Baja in the '77 FC31 (Bahia de los Angeles) over Thanksgiving and 2000 miles over the Christmas holiday (Cal/Oregon coast) - it ran great. The Wanderlodge can handle a "unimproved" surprisingly well - the departure angle is its biggest shortcoming.
But . . . FG rigs are too cool. Every camper vehicle is a compromise, and I always believed building a custom camper vehicle for Baja/Alaska was the only solution - still a compromise, but hopefully minimized.
I already bought the FG and I'll be designing for the camper months to come (maybe years based on some guys). If only the day job wasn't getting in the way.
Are you building one?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Bajaroad said:
Kerry, great minds think alike - Wanderlodge . . . FG.
We just took our second trip to Baja in the '77 FC31 (Bahia de los Angeles) over Thanksgiving and 2000 miles over the Christmas holiday (Cal/Oregon coast) - it ran great. The Wanderlodge can handle a "unimproved" surprisingly well - the departure angle is its biggest shortcoming.
But . . . FG rigs are too cool. Every camper vehicle is a compromise, and I always believed building a custom camper vehicle for Baja/Alaska was the only solution - still a compromise, but hopefully minimized.
I already bought the FG and I'll be designing for the camper months to come (maybe years based on some guys). If only the day job wasn't getting in the way.
Are you building one?

I'm probably not going to have time to build one but I am looking for one. I'm thinking about retirement and I have at least two trips I'd like to do. One is to circumnavigate the mediteranean in a camper and the other is the Paris to Peking trip. The Wanderlodge won't cut it on those trips. I've owned a Mercedes 307d motorhome in Europe as an experiment for the trips but 4x4 Mercedes vans are quite rare. I could end up buying a Fuso in Europe.

tamangel

Adventurer

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Those sound like trips of a lifetime. A FG Camper should be a good choice.

If you are still around after I finish mine, I will build you one. I haven't even begun construction and I have an order to build a second unit - the concept phase is so much fun.

kerry

Expedition Leader
tamangel said:
Kerry, here's a nice 814 example: 15K euros..
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...egory=MotorHomesAndOther&lang=en&pageNumber=2

the main web site:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/se...t her&lang=en

search criteria was motorhomes/other and 4x4 and the english choice

also. if you can find this book (expensive paperback), its a great resource on a Mercedes 814 4x4 build up for Europe Travels. Much detail and good info for all travels..

http://www.travelvans.co.uk/

Mike

Mike:
That is a nice example of the 814 4x4. I've looked at a couple of 814's either on Ebay or mobile.de and it is a viable option. The departure angle on that option is better than most others which tend to have longer overhangs in the rear. That price is good also even though there does seem to be some rust under the back doors. MB vans do seem more susceptible to rust than their cars.
There's a British couple that did the Paris to Peking in an 814 2wd and also took it thru the Americas. They now have it for sale in the UK I think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles