Alpinestar Scout WP Boots in OJ

Overland Journal is no longer in my budget, but I did receive the latest newsletter. I was surprised to see that the team reviewed a pair of Alpinestar Scout WP motorcycle boots.

During my few months in Montana, I earned my motorcycle endorsement. Within a week I was already planning my trip back to AZ along with obtaining the proper gear to protect me and keep me dry and warm. Not every piece of gear was a success, but the Scouts have proved an incredible investment.

I needed a boot that would keep my feet dry and protected, yet also look great under boot cut jeans for nights out in the city without looking like an astronaut. Cost of course was a major issue so this left out boot makers such as Sidi and Gaerne. I was skeptical that a sub $300 boot would fit my needs, but the Scouts have kept my feet dry and warm even during the Monsoons of Arizona, winter storms in New England, and last Octobers Hurricane Sandy.

I always wear a size 9 boot and when I ordered the Scouts, I found them to be a bit tight. Within a week though the leather stretched and the boots fit properly. Had I ordered the next size up, they would have been too big.

My two year old boots now have 50,000+ motorcycle miles with several accidents and backcountry get offs, several 10+ mile hikes, and hundreds of around town walking miles. I wear them nearly all day, everyday.

The one issue after all this use is that these boots are hard to repair due to the leather being very thick. In a city like Boston where there is a Cobbler around every corner, I have yet to find one that has the machines strong enough to resole and re-stitch an area of the boot that was slightly damaged after my last accident.

I hate writing reviews, but felt you guys could use the opinion of someone who has used these boots hard. I highly recommend the product and would suggest it to anyone looking for a long-lasting, stylish boot.

4a8epyne.jpg

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the scouts are good boots, but for me the PU coating killed the deal. i have feet that need to breathe otherwise it can get offensive to the offactory area of anyone around me, true story.

Thanks for the tip. I paid the extra for the Sidi's (Adventure Rain). They didn't hold up a full year and squeaked with every step I took off the bike last year. It seems money is not a good indicator of a quality boot.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I second the review... I've worn mine for about 2 years now, and though I don't have nearly as many miles as you, they work well for going into work and what walking I have to do there or on the trail. They also give very good support, which makes me more confident on the bike off-road.

Don

-

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I have these boots and I dropped my KLX 250 on one a couple of weeks ago.

Depending on one's point of view the boots are great because they prevented significant injury and I could ride home or they suck because they didn't prevent a trip to the ER and a week hobbling in circles with an air cast.

I suspect both are true. They're not MX boots after all. I'm glad I wasn't riding anything heavier when the trail turned to ice!

zeeede

i have feet that need to breathe otherwise it can get offensive to the offactory area of anyone around me, true story.

I hear that... my Scout boots can get mighty stinky. I have Hotronics Boot Dryers for my ski boots (http://www.amazon.com/HOTRONIC-SNAPDRY-SNOWBOARD-GLOVE-DRYER/dp/B003MWRZR4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8) which I use during the summer in the Scouts. Keeps 'em nice and dry. I don't travel with the boot dryers though, so at the end of multi-day trips, they can be pretty funky. Wool socks help, too.

I have these boots and I dropped my KLX 250 on one a couple of weeks ago.

Depending on one's point of view the boots are great because they prevented significant injury and I could ride home or they suck because they didn't prevent a trip to the ER and a week hobbling in circles with an air cast.

I suspect both are true. They're not MX boots after all. I'm glad I wasn't riding anything heavier when the trail turned to ice!

These definitely aren't MX boots... I would say if you are doing true off-road riding, you need true off-road protection. These bring a few minor elements of MX boots (mostly the height and the buckles) to a road motorcycle boot. That being said, for light-duty off-pavement adventure riding, you can't beat their all-day comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke