A few ?'s on a Gen 3

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
So I went down to a smaller lot to check out an 02' they have for sale... It's got some issues and needed some feedback. link to the Montero - http://www.wefinanceboise.com/2002_Mitsubishi_Montero_Garden City_ID_251082620.veh

First off, power sunroof doesn't work. Is this a common thing? Easy to fix? I assume the motor has gone bad or something with the wiring? It doesn't even make any sounds when using the switch.

Second, it has a random shake. It happened three times during the test drive. Didn't matter on speed. Happened for 2-7 seconds each time. It wasn't like a major rattle, but as if you were on a mild washboard service road. It has a check engine light, which I'm not sure if these two things coincide. They're supposed to be checking out the code.

Third, what is this black cylinder looking thing? It has a rattle/buzzes.

Video of it in action, couldn't figure out how to embed it directly

http://vid627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/publicarms/IMG_0739_zpsvpuzglqo.mp4

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Can't watch the video but the Black thing is the brake accumulator and pump. If it is running a lot that probably means the "accumulator" part is losing its charge.

Edit for 4k that's way nicer than anything I have seen down here.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Yea the brake accumulator/pump is almost constantly "whurring" kicks on about every 2-3 seconds and is on for a second or two.

Monteros are slim pickins around here. This is the best/cheapest one so far. There's a couple other ones in my area, but are asking $7k+. I'd much rather drive down to Utah or over to Cali for ones comparable but $2k less.

jhill15

Explorer
The sunroof is more than likely a bolt backing out. Its a fairly common problem and easliy fixed. Heres a thread from on how to fix it.

http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...air-sunroof-moonroof-2001-2006-montero-47911/

I was looking on craigslist and there a quite a few ltd's in your area...

Heres the one your looking at
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/4897968461.html
And its had quite a significant price drop in the last month...
I think I would be concerned with why the price drop. Either they've had it on their lot for too long...or someone else could have looked at it, took it to a mechanic and found enough problems with it for the dealer to just drop the price rather than fix the problems.

I would do what the above posts say and take it to a reputable mechanic who has worked on, or who are familiar with monteros, and can put it on a lift. Even if that be a mitsu dealer. I would rather pay a little $$$ to know what I was getting into before hand to see if its worth it in the long run.

Good luck and Keep us posted!

clmrt

Adventurer
2001 Mitsubishi Montero Service Brakes, Hydraulic Recall 01V254001

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 01V254001
Report Date:
Aug 03, 2001Component:
Service Brakes, HydraulicPotential Units Affected:
39020Manufacturer:
Mitsubishi America
Summary: Vehicle description: sport utility vehicles. The accumulator that is installed on the hydraulic brake booster may have been improperly manufactured. Over a period of time, this could result in leakage of the pressurized nitrogen gas from inside the accumulator.

Consequence: The loss of this gas pressure could result in an abnormal noise from the left side of the dash panel when the brakes are applied, and possibly a delayed first time brake boost assist after the vehicle has been parked for a period of time, which could result in a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will install an improved accumulator. Owner notification mailing began october 1, 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.

Notes: Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
1. Sunroof motor coming loose is exceedingly common, virtually universal. However, it should make a noise. Maybe a blown fuse as well. Maybe a bad switch. Easy fix in any case. If a problem with the moving roof on its tracks, this would be very expensive; it's unlikely, though.

2. Odd shake or rattle. Unbalanced tires occasionally coming into harmony? Unbalanced driveshaft? Worn tie rod ends? Bad front shocks? Broken springs? Broken motor mount? It's all easily remedied, of course.

3. Replacement accumulator, problem solved.

The expensive part of a vehicle is the body, followed by engine & transmission. How is the body, the doors? Then, how does it idle and run? How does it shift and drive?

Engine check lights are easily decoded. Highly likely it's something like oxygen sensors, thermostat, or something else that's easily fixed. If not abused, they're great vehicles with a strong reputation for reliability, toughness and ability.

earljuic3

Adventurer
ABS accumulator is bad..I had to replace mine about a year ago. Dealer (who I deal with alot) replaced mine for free.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Yeah I had to replace my accumulator in my '03 as well, it isn't too expensive. I didn't notice any oddities with the brakes while it was making it's funny sound however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online