A Question for all You ExPo Vehicle Fabricators???

Deleted Member 183

Have any of you built/ fab'd a component (bumpers, swing out racks, bike/ moto carriers, etc.) out of Corten steel?

I've built several "home compound" structures on my property (like entry's/ gates) with it over the last 10 years... And I am starting to think why not fab the next "stuff" for Casa out of Corten? Bail on the out of this world expensive plating and the close to as expensive powdercoating ( usually a bad paint job for a top shelf price)....Then just let the Corten "do it's thing"!

Granted it will even make the most "top shelf" rig look "unfinished" and "backwater"! Me? So what, I don't give a "flying pagoda"! I just like the idea of making something REALLY good then forgetting about it.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Internets say Corten is 65% more expensive than mild steel. Sounds like similar mechanical properties and weldable. I guess it's just a matter of the look and it sounds like your good with that.

I'm a fan of raw aluminum, oxide and all but a lot of people think it looks bad.

Deleted Member 183

Make Casa Azul look like a Series Rover!

OH! DON'T GO THERE!!!

The first motor vehicle I owned was a 109 IIA Land Rover. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!! The only thing about it I was grateful for was that... It taught me Spanish ( by breaking down continually in all the worst places through my first trip to Central America)!

The best thing that Series Rovers can be used for is salad bars in "ExPo" themed restaurants!

Last edited:

Deleted Member 183

However, I am also a fan of hot dipped galvanized as well.

Later in my career when I started doing ID and development in the local AG industry over here on the coast, I convinced most of my customers to let me have the steel components hot dipped.

I devised a cool way to seal tubing structures that were drilled to permit the id's to be coated... Drill the inlet holes the correct diameter to be able to receive U-Dive screws. Once back from the platers, dip the tip of the U-drive screw into urethane coque (oop's wait! Am i permitted to use that word here on ExPo? :ROFLMAO: ) and drive it home!

I love driving by fields where my devices are being used and see that my gizmos are still in use (Man oh man, farm hands are really ROUGH on equipment)!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
OH! DON'T GO THERE!!!

The first motor vehicle I owned was a 109 IIA Land Rover. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!! The only thing about it I was grateful for was that... It taught me Spanish ( by breaking down continually in all the worst places through my first trip to Central America)!

The best thing that Series Rovers can be used for is salad bars in "ExPo" themed restaurants!

I’m pretty sure that the “oil and vinegar” at the salad bar aren’t exactly the same as what drips continuously from the bottom of the Rover, but I’ll check it out!

I’ve seen a few Series Rovers in the lion enclosures at zoos too. I’m guessing they broke down there and the zoo got built around them. I’ve considered donating my backyard pile of parts to the local zoo for just that purpose!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Have any of you built/ fab'd a component (bumpers, swing out racks, bike/ moto carriers, etc.) out of Corten steel?

I've built several "home compound" structures on my property (like entry's/ gates) with it over the last 10 years... And I am starting to think why not fab the next "stuff" for Casa out of Corten?

Make Casa Azul look like a Series Rover!
Why do that? It looks like he just spent so much time making it look like a skoolie?

How did you do that? Did you throw Casa Azul in the dryer and forget about it?

Casa-Azul-Food-TruckIMG_7381-2.jpg
images.jpg

csj

Corten is not fool proof. I have seen it fail in harsh climates. The prerunner guys who live in the desert can just leave they're steel unfinished, I just painted my axles last spring and they are already showing rust. I live by the ocean BTW.
I haven't checked the math but by the time you add materials and finishing stainless steel might be in the ball park.

Nailhead

Corten is not fool proof. I have seen it fail in harsh climates. The prerunner guys who live in the desert can just leave they're steel unfinished, I just painted my axles last spring and they are already showing rust. I live by the ocean BTW.
I haven't checked the math but by the time you add materials and finishing stainless steel might be in the ball park.

Look up the Omni Arena in Atlanta: corrosion holes big enough to climb through contributed to its demolition after only 25 years.

I just did a little reading on Corten, and no thanks; IH’s rust enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior