A trailer like this in the US

Redman333

Adventurer
http://www.patriotcampers.com.au/patriot-x1-off-road-camper-trailer/

This is one of the only trailers that's peaked my interest and that I'd be willing to buy. I'd prefer it be down closer to the $25k range still though.

Is there a trailer here in the US that is similar. I especially like the awning and the tent.

Either that or can one be built with somewhat limited fab skills. I can weld aluminum and steel but that's the extent. Would be willing to invest in tools and equipment and learn something if its worth it. Meaning the same cost or less.

jays0n

Adventurer
http://echo4x4.net/ are from Africa but are now available here. At an overland rally we attended last year we met a nice couple from Canada that starting importing them and will sell to the states. We almost went for it but decided to keep our current home built solution instead, the wife REALLY wanted to upgrade, maybe someday. The exchange rate for Canadian dollars is pretty sweet for us right now. There was also no duty to pay when you take it back to the states.

I believe the Echo 5 was around $28k Canadian but the coolest thing is that it was fully stocked including everything from an 80 liter refrigerator to a propane stove to plates and wine glasses. The website doesn't do it justice, in person the thing is amazing.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I would agree that you might want take a look at the Echo 5 trailer if it comes that well equipped. That could hard to beat depending on the price.

If you haven't seen it already, check out this owner's thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137588-Our-Echo-5

Also, Conqueror4x4 is finally coming to the USA - http://conqueror4x4usa.com/

Starting price for the UEV 390 is $27,750. Looks like pretty fair alternative the Patriot X1. King-sized bed, big kitchen accommodations, lots of awning coverage. Conqueror says they will come bundled with 'the most popular options'.

Here's the spec sheet for all three models coming - http://conqueror4x4usa.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CLICK-HERE-FOR-FULL-SPECS.pdf

UEV390_lead_1200px.jpg

Dewar_130511-9478-web.jpg

Last edited:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
One thing to consider about an Aussie style camper is the living area is often on the left side of the trailer. In the US most campsites are biased to the right side.

This is not an issue if you are out in the wild area but it is something to consider if you plan on possibly using a designated campsite...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OCD Overland

Explorer
That's definitely a consideration, especially for the larger trailers like the Kimberleys. I'd guess the smaller ones are maneuverable enough not to be that big of a deal. If I were buying a big Kimberley Cruiser, I'd definitely weigh that in my decision, but I think that even something like their pop up caravan is small enough to work around. My problem with import trailers in general is that they seem to come and go. Someone decides they can make a bundle importing them, then they figure out that the US market is pretty saturated already and there just isn't enough demand for these things at the price they're asking. And there's repair issues, parts, etc. Again, for the smaller trailers, it probably isn't a huge deal if you're halfway mechanically inclined, but it's something to consider.

The other issue I have with some of them is the time and trouble it takes to set them up. Watching conqueror's setup videos on youtube, for example - they make it seem incredibly tedious. It's a lot of 'insert tab A into slot B' sort of stuff. Granted, you don't have to deploy the whole array of accessories every time you stop, but my take is that it looks like so much trouble to do so, that you'd rarely if ever take advantage of all the extras you paid for.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
One thing to consider about an Aussie style camper is the living area is often on the left side of the trailer. In the US most campsites are biased to the right side.

This is not an issue if you are out in the wild area but it is something to consider if you plan on possibly using a designated campsite...

We've stayed in many KOA's and other developed campgrounds with our Kimberley Karavan; and never had a problem with it being on the "wrong" side.

grogie

Like to Camp
That's definitely a consideration, especially for the larger trailers like the Kimberleys. I'd guess the smaller ones are maneuverable enough not to be that big of a deal. If I were buying a big Kimberley Cruiser, I'd definitely weigh that in my decision, but I think that even something like their pop up caravan is small enough to work around. My problem with import trailers in general is that they seem to come and go. Someone decides they can make a bundle importing them, then they figure out that the US market is pretty saturated already and there just isn't enough demand for these things at the price they're asking. And there's repair issues, parts, etc. Again, for the smaller trailers, it probably isn't a huge deal if you're halfway mechanically inclined, but it's something to consider.

The other issue I have with some of them is the time and trouble it takes to set them up. Watching conqueror's setup videos on youtube, for example - they make it seem incredibly tedious. It's a lot of 'insert tab A into slot B' sort of stuff. Granted, you don't have to deploy the whole array of accessories every time you stop, but my take is that it looks like so much trouble to do so, that you'd rarely if ever take advantage of all the extras you paid for.

A lot of great points. For trailers like the Patriot, I would be highly surprised if anyone could build one in their garage? At least at that level with all of the custom parts and design that's been put into them. Amazing trailers... like everything that a travel trailer has but you're able to actually take it where you wouldn't take a travel trailer. But as you said, that's a lot of setup time. Plus that you need a V8 or something close to tow it.

With my trailer, it was built by a friend that builds KOH level buggies, for a lot less and loaded it's a light 1100# that I can push it around a campsite by myself. It doesn't have all of the slide outs, water tanks, power options, lighting, big tents, etc., but then I can close up the Tepui RTT and be on my way in about 10 minutes. Personally I left having a base camp when I gave up ground tents.

But still, I suppose if I was going to live in the desert for weeks at a time and had $25k, yes I could be happy with a Patriot. :)

coop74

Old Camping Dude
He is another example of a US built tent camper pattern after the Australian ones. They are good folks and the owner is retired military and spent time stationed with the Aussies and decide he loved their trailers and would have a go at making them in the US. The are well built and way under the cost of some of the others.

Another plus, atleast for me, is they are based in NC so i dont have to continent hop to see and buy one.

http://www.latitudecampers.com/

OCD Overland

Explorer
Yet another cool trailer that I missed in my research. That's a great price for what they're offering. Looks well made too.

I haven't had a chance to watch the videos, but my only initial concern would be the same as I mentioned before, which is the setup time.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Yet another cool trailer that I missed in my research. That's a great price for what they're offering. Looks well made too.

I haven't had a chance to watch the videos, but my only initial concern would be the same as I mentioned before, which is the setup time.
If you just set up the bed and landing area it takes about 3 to 5 minutes max. I have seen them set the whole thing up in less than 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior