About time!

Willman

I just passed the Technicians test!!!...I have been putting this off for about a year or so!

Only missed one!...It was a very easy test.....I think i over studied big time....Oh well!

I got a Yaesu VX-6R that the UPS guy will be bring me tomorrow!

The examiners said it would only take a few business days until my call sign posts on the FCC website!

Can't wait!!!....

Almost time to Ham up!

:elkgrin:

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Congrats Nic!

I'm not too up to speed on the common Utah County chew frequencies, in SLC its the 146.640, you can pretty much strike up a conversation all hours of the day.

soonenough

Explorer
Willman said:
Only missed one!...It was a very easy test.....I think i over studied big time....Oh well!
I wonder if I'm doing the same thing (studying too much). I bought the ARRL book, and I'm trying to read a chapter every night, but that's been put on hold with the chaos of moving.

I'm sure you probably don't need to read the entire book to pass the test, but would you benefit from having read it (in terms of your ability to operate the radio)? If so, it's worth it to me to take the time to read it, even if it won't help me on the exam.

Willman

Thanks Robb & Kurt!

soonenough said:
I wonder if I'm doing the same thing (studying too much). I bought the ARRL book, and I'm trying to read a chapter every night, but that's been put on hold with the chaos of moving.

I'm sure you probably don't need to read the entire book to pass the test, but would you benefit from having read it (in terms of your ability to operate the radio)? If so, it's worth it to me to take the time to read it, even if it won't help me on the exam.

The book is FULLED with tons of great infor. if you are the person that can sit down and read that stuff. I have found that some sections are very helpful and many others not.....

I read the book cover to cover skimming over some of the sections.....I think i am better off that i at least know some of the in's/out's of the ham radio seen......But i also think just studying the question pool and taking online tests would work too......

Talking to some of the hams last night.....they said to just spent a while listening to how people speak and act help tons

Overall......I'm pumped to get involved with the local club if time lets me once in a while......This is going to be a great tool in my overland journeys. I also made a goal at the begining of summer to pass the test before the ET!!

:)

Willman

Just got my call sign!

That was really fast!!!! 15 hours from time i took the test!!!!

:REExeSquatsHL1:

Last edited:

Willman

New digs!

Yaesu VX-6R

DSC05559.jpg

:victory:

soonenough

Explorer
Nice! Can you use an external antenna with that handheld, or are you limited to the attached whip? Any idea of the range of the handheld alone (no external antenna)?

Willman

^^^

The unit is only 5 watts

Looks like i can ether buy different antennas and also an adapter to connect a BNC type antenna......I'm still learning how to use it!

The reason i decited to buy a handheld was due to like to hike, bike, fish, hunt, and the list goes on.....

Willman

John E said:
... I am still completely mystified as to how to actually use my own radio.

Funny you say that......I too am lost but gaining ground everyday on her!

:Astrologist:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior