Actual engine temp on 3.5

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
So my Sport has a tendency to display temp about a 1/4 way below the hot/max over shooting the halfway quite a bit. This only happens on long highway drives or when it's really hot out. The thermostat is a new mitsu one and didn't change the result at all. It's also a known issue with the gauge on the sport. I have a scanguage and my typical operating temp is about 190+. The gauge gets concerning (1/4 from top) at 204 or so. Hottest it's ever gotten is 206*. Does this seem normal? At what temp should I worry?

TheMole

Adventurer
I have a 98 Montero non-sport with the 3.5 and that looks normal to me. I have an ultragauge which is a similar obd2 reader that can show the engine temp. I just installed a CSF radiator and took it on a 240 mile road trip. On the highway drive back, the normal operating temp ranged between 196-206 in mid-90 degree whether with the ac on and multiple complete stops due to bad traffic. The temp gauge needle never moved above just below the halfway mark. Just for comparison, the previous OEM radiator, which had hairline leaks at the top tank, ranged between 196-200 :confused:. I've been trying to find some kind of temp range in the FSM, but have yet to find anything conclusive.

Found this info on alldatadiy:
Valve Opening Temperature Of Thermostat 88°C (190°F)
Full Opening Temperature Of Thermostat 100°C (212°F)

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
My 3.5L is in a full sized Montero and runs a bit hotter than your Sport.
Normal operating temp is around 203* F, but it will top at 212* F when it's pushed fully laden.
The gauge never climbs above "just below half".

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, it appears it's just a stock gauge issue. I figured as much but couldn't find temp specs anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12