AEV VS OME Lift Kits

sa80

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I have combed through the threads but would love to have some specific advice.

I have a 2018 JKU Rubicon, fitted with a Front Runner rack and iKamper Skycamp and besides fitting 33" wheels, everything else is stock.

When loaded for overlanding trips with 2 people and about 85kg/170lb of camping gear, I have noticed at least an 0.5" to 1" of sag in the rear which is not ideal and leads me to the need of upgrading the suspension and adding some clearance.

This rig serves as our overlander (we don't really like to rock crawl) as well as weekend run around vehicle which makes it challenging in selecting the right setup as it will see extreme ends of the load spectrum. Especially as I want to remove the rack and fit the softtop unless we're actually going on an overland specific trip.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

- AEV 2.5" Dualsport with the Bilsteins.
- OME 2" with the 150lb springs in the rear and OME sport shock.

Both setups come with their own concerns:

- The AEV is double the price of the OME (in South Africa at least).
- The OME would handle the loaded weight well but I'm worried about drivability when empty on the weekends.

I may eventually add bumpers and a winch a couple of years but until then the rig would be quite light as my aim to is to keep it as minimalistic as possible.

Is the OME setup worth it considering the price or would it be better to bite the bullet and get the AEV, and fit airbags in case I ever add extra weight in the future?.

Thank you!

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had two AEV 2.5 lifts and an AEV 3.5 if you truly are going to add a bunch of weight in the future ie bumpers and winch get the 3.5 from the get go. If the OME is 1/2 price go that route. I would be surprised that with two people your camping gear does not add up to more than 170lbs. my loaded ARB50 or loaded Yeti weigh over 100lbs by themselves. the other thing is if you like how it rides loaded stock and don't mind a little rake empty just add some 1" coil spacers to the back and 1/2-3/4" to the front.

zgfiredude

OME has several different spring rates to allow for dialing in for the load. I went with OME and have been pleased. As @jadmt suggests, you could tailor the suspension to the highest percentage of use scenario and then adjust with airbags for the increased weight.......or spring for the weight (as everything will be heavier than you hope) don't ask me how I know ;-)

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I have an AEV 2.5 kit with their geometry correction brackets and love it. With our trailer fully loaded up with water, tents, and gear, it rides either level or with some rake still.
As far as unloaded goes, it is so much better than the stock rubicon suspension with AEV spring spacers. It's stiff but also more forgiving. It rides more level without body roll or much pitch but I also somehow don't feel like I have to run to the bathroom after driving city streets which I did before. I really can't say enough good things about it.
THAT BEING SAID.... I was torn between the OME and AEV when I purchased last year and that was with comparable prices here in the US. If OME is half the price, I'd probably go that route BUT buy the AEV geomery correction brackets. I'm convinced thats the primary source of the better handling.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have the OME lift and I'm happy with it. I had to upgrade my rear springs to the 2620 set for my Ursa Minor top, because the 2618 springs weren't up to the task of hauling all of my gear around. I would definitely buy the OME again and have used the lift on two JKUR Jeeps now. To my latest Jeep I have added Rancho geometry correction brackets (wow), teraflex sway bar links and procomp front brake line brackets to dial it in, but none of that is 100% necessary.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have the AEV 2.5 geometry correction brackets etc. With a RTT, a heavy rear bumper, AEV non hoop front bumper with winch and if anything the rear sagged. The front did not.
So I would say the spring in the rear are a little weak. The front zero issue. unloaded the rake exists.
Pulling a trailer on it no sag but it was loaded right.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I have the AEV 2.5 geometry correction brackets etc. With a RTT, a heavy rear bumper, AEV non hoop front bumper with winch and if anything the rear sagged. The front did not.
So I would say the spring in the rear are a little weak. The front zero issue. unloaded the rake exists.
Pulling a trailer on it no sag but it was loaded right.

That's a good point. I missed the part about you having a RTT too. You'll probably be level at best then. I'd opt for heavier duty rear springs.

smbisig

Adventurer
Both are high-quality brands (I worked for ARB for 17 years and currently run AEV on my JT). However, you will get better technical service out of ARB outside of North America due to their worldwide dealer network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears