Air Compressor location ?

milo12

Adventurer
I bought a Viair Extreme duty on board air system. I am a little concerned about mounting the compressors under the truck. It seems like they would be exposed to too much dust and water. I have looked at some installation pictures and most are mounted under the vehicle. Of course there are no followup pictures to show me how the compressor looks after years of rain and dirt.

Does anyone have any experience with how well these compressors survive the elements? I would mount it under the hood but these new trucks have zero space under the hood.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
That's the route I should have gone. Bought the whole kit. I've been piecing mine together. I had thought about putting the compressor under the hood, but instead picled up a bed box for a mini truck and will install it inside of this. Plus the box gives me extra storage for tools, snow chains ,winch gear and what not. And everything is safe and secure from theft or dirt and grim.
I have seen where some guys have mounted the compressor inside the cab in the back section of quad-cabs.
When you do figure it out, remember pics pics pics :sombrero:

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Not the same truck...but I mounted my VIAIR Constant Duty OBA compressor INSIDE an ammo can and located that in the bed of my truck.
I did think of locating inside my tool box. I did not want to mount it exposed, because of the crap that we normally drive through.

As for the air tank, it is located under the bed, between the rear axle and spare tire carrier. I currently carry my spare on my bumper tire carrier
So I have room to add more tanks.

Here is my link to the install.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1474585&postcount=21

Also try a search, I seen other people post up installs, it will help you determine places.
Good luck.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I got my ARB compressor from Alphaexpedition.com (Dave) and the bracket provided for the JK jeep bolts BEHIND the master cylinder, under the hood

PICT0023-1.jpg

:victory::wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

TeriAnn

Explorer
I bought a Viair Extreme duty on board air system. I am a little concerned about mounting the compressors under the truck.

I would be too.

Usually instructions provide you with mounting suggestions. Often they say something like "a clean dry location away from heat sources and where air can flow around it". 12V pumps work hard and create a lot of heat which needs to be dissipated or the pump will fail. That's why they usually come with a built in thermal cutoff. So inside a tightly enclosed space is not usually a good idea unless you can bring in cool air and vent hot air. It is also why 12V pumps that get used for long cycles often die young inside an engine compartment.

Maybe everyone mounts a pump under the vehicle, but to me it seems like a poor location. Why put a pump in a place where it might be submerged, dragged through mud or otherwise abused by the elements. I doubt if the manufacturer designed the pump for that location.

Maybe there is a place inside the vehicle where it could fit and not get in the way. Mine is in the rear corner next to the tail gate. Maybe for you it is best to leave it portable. Put it inside the lid of a box so it can have free air flow when removed.

Also don't forget that air pumps usually have an air filter that you need to remove and clean, so accessibility to the air filter or any other periodic maintenance points is a good idea.

Just spend some quality time with your rig and the pump, looking around for a place where they might both be happy together.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Very well and aptly put

Thats why, with my installation under the hood, I have to open the hood ANYWAY, to attach the air hose (for tires), so leaving it open allows fresh air movement and the air filter, is right at the front of the compressor !!

:victory::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

nwoods

Expedition Leader
On my Jeep Rubicon, I have a Viair 450 mounted under it, snugged up against the frame. It's a hard core wheeling rig and that location has been fine, but I run the intake air tube from up high, much like the diff vent tubes

On my LR3, I put a Viair 400 in the engine bay, and have taken it all over the desert in the summer heat and it's been fine. Nice solid unit. I prefer the 400 over the 450.

Here is my LR3 engine bay mounting:
onboard_air_03-800.jpg

milo12

Adventurer
Those are some nice looking installations. I have narrowed it down to either the inside of the cab under the rear seat or in an ammo box. I just don't have the room under the hood for it.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Those are some nice looking installations. I have narrowed it down to either the inside of the cab under the rear seat or in an ammo box. I just don't have the room under the hood for it.

If you have a tool box, you could mount it inside there too.

BlueBomber

Adventurer

does it have to stay hard-mounted on the truck? you could always mount it in a tool box, that way you have somewhere to keep hoses and stuff. then you just plug it in (cigarette lighter, custom bed socket, ect.) when you need it and store it behind the seat when you dont.

P.S. i was talking about a small tool box. like the kind you keep hand tools in.

GTKrockeTT

Observer
mounted my 450C in the cargo area because i was concerned about the elements as well, even though from what i understand, there shouldn't be any issues with mud/sand/water.

obadsc0031bf7.jpg

obadsc0034fj5.jpg

the tank, however, i mounted underneath the truck.

obadsc0036vw5.jpg

dyogim

Explorer
Finally mounted mine under the hood. This is one of those MV50 compressors found at Pepboys and Costco for around $40. Now I just need to either run tubing on both sides of the truck or just carry a long coiled air hose.

P4120918.JPG

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you don't want to mount it on your rig, you can always buy an military ammo box and mount it inside. Then you can simply take it out when you need it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I mounted my compressor and tank up where the factory spare tire used to be, cutting out half of the mount to accommodate the install. I then routed a breather tube for the Viair up and into the cargo area of the truck, mounting the filter inlet to the trim piece.

IMG_4695.jpg

AirFilter.jpg

More details located in my build thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan