Air compressor question

lucilius

I am wondering if anyone here has used an ARB twin air compressor for their Unimog/MB truck tires? The specs say the unit is capable of ~6 cfm or 174l/m at 0PSI which drops to 4.68cfm at 29PSI with a 150PSI max. I've never used an ARB product and don't know if this will be adequate for heavier rigs/larger tires than the lightweight vehicles featured in the reviews I've found. My tires are L-rated Continental in 315/80r22.5 that I keep ~90PSI front/100PSI rear for highway, so not nearly as large as most mog/MB trucks. My best guess is that it will work if the unit doesn't overheat but it will not be quick (which is not a problem)...any input appreciated.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I run two of the ARB twin compressors on my truck, along with the engine compressor for the air system on the truck. They work well in combination when I pump up the tyres on the truck, and they are mainly used for the first start-up to fill the air system. I've got the 12v ones, and they draw a fair bit of current. I've had them for 8 years, and the original ones blew their thermofuses one day, and I had to replace them whole brush unit. I've set them up now with auto reset thermo circuit breakers, as they have blown a fuse once or twice.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Duty cycle will be as important as output rate.
Belt driven modified AC compressors are a good solution if you can fit one.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Beardy

From recollection the ARB twin is a 100% duty cycle. The other good feature with them is they are two independently wired single compressors joined with a manifold so if one were to fail you still can use the compressor

Iain_U1250

Explorer
From recollection the ARB twin is a 100% duty cycle. The other good feature with them is they are two independently wired single compressors joined with a manifold so if one were to fail you still can use the compressor
Correct, when one of the fuses trips out on mine, the other compressors kept on
going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior