Air Hose Reel?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Hmm. I didn't know such a thing even existed. I have OBA on two of my vehicles and I just coil up a 20' hose and tuck it in the seat back pocket of both... Not really a "reel system" but it works well and takes up very little space...

Where would you mount a reel setup like this in general? Seems like it could live in the box area of a pickup, or perhaps the cargo area of a suv? Would be cool inside a door of a utility box, especially with OBA stuffed in the same box so you only open one door for air needs...

dstefan

Try this:
and then coil hose over under like a Hollywood Gaffer:
I use both and it works really well.

No non-permanently coiled hose will never have a tangle, but this technique really makes it much better. The hose shakes right out, and the cables store in the Bucket boss bag really neatly and small — I slide it in between my back seat and the inner wall of the truck with room inside for deflator, air guages, and ARB inflator. Low weight and compact.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
FWIW, the Apex unit is absolutely impressive. Build quality, fit and finish is impressive. As are their tire valves. Highly recommend them if you air down and up frequently.

Read the original post. Figured it would be oversized and overpriced. Not worth a click.

Read your post, decided to click. Wow!

That is impressive. And tiny. I love it. The price is even fair, a real revalation in overlanding the$e day$.

Added to my neverending list, thanks!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
FWIW, the Apex unit is absolutely impressive. Build quality, fit and finish is impressive. As are their tire valves. Highly recommend them if you air down and up frequently.
It looks good and I agree the price is fair if the quality is there. Was mostly curious if there were other similar but slightly different solutions. Personally I don't enjoy dealing with a loose air line...I also have a tendency to grab it for use in the garage or something and then forget to put it back. I'm also inherently slightly disorganized so having systems in place that do it for me is a huge help.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Hmm. I didn't know such a thing even existed. I have OBA on two of my vehicles and I just coil up a 20' hose and tuck it in the seat back pocket of both... Not really a "reel system" but it works well and takes up very little space...

Where would you mount a reel setup like this in general? Seems like it could live in the box area of a pickup, or perhaps the cargo area of a suv? Would be cool inside a door of a utility box, especially with OBA stuffed in the same box so you only open one door for air needs...

There's a few options on my truck but it would probably end up accessible from the side hatch on my camper.

lugueto

Adventurer
It looks good and I agree the price is fair if the quality is there. Was mostly curious if there were other similar but slightly different solutions. Personally I don't enjoy dealing with a loose air line...I also have a tendency to grab it for use in the garage or something and then forget to put it back. I'm also inherently slightly disorganized so having systems in place that do it for me is a huge help.

I realized that was your question, and I read the thread hoping to learn of an alternative as well. But I guess there aren't many...

As far as placement goes, side hatches on canopies/campers/toppers seem to be the most common places. I'd love to know if someone has installed them under the hood. Also side gull wing windows on SUV seem to be a popular option.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I realized that was your question, and I read the thread hoping to learn of an alternative as well. But I guess there aren't many...

As far as placement goes, side hatches on canopies/campers/toppers seem to be the most common places. I'd love to know if someone has installed them under the hood. Also side gull wing windows on SUV seem to be a popular option.
Ordered the 35'. Might look at under hood mounting when it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online