Air mattress vs. foam sleeping pad

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I didn't see anyone mention the air mattress' propensity to leak. I think we're on our 3rd one in 8 years since migrating over from Thermarests.

I've never tried thick foam, but give me a good sleeping bag, a pillow and an air mattress and I sleep like a log. The airing up gives you the ability to pick your softness/firmness, and I always feel warm on mine. But for me it's when they stop holding all their air that the problems begin....

Well I picked up my REI camping matt; allowed it to self inflate and tried it out. It SUCKED!!

...but, then in read the instructions and it said to blow into the mattress to inflate to desired firmness as needed. I did this and it ROCKS!!

Thanks for all of the feedback folks :victory::victory:

98roamer

Explorer
Even though my wife and I are long time air mattress users, I really like the closed cell foam. On the air bed my wife complains that she has to fight sinking to my side of the bed, since I'm heavier than her. Now this starts to happen about night three, so we just top it off to firm it up.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I didn't see anyone mention the air mattress' propensity to leak. I think we're on our 3rd one in 8 years since migrating over from Thermarests..

I have three Thermarests in the basement with leaks. Time to turn them into 'creepers' for working under vehicles.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have been a die hard foam pad fan for backpacking and camping due to the heat loss of air mattresses. This last year I bought a small blow up backpacking pad with some type of synthetic fill in it and it worked great, slept good every night. As others have mentioned you do run the risk of a leak which is pretty common, two in our group of 5 on a pack trip this Summer had leaks in their Thermarests. I am still a firm believer that for winter trips you are better off with layering foam pads than using a single air pad that could spring a leak.

dustboy

Explorer
The first time you get a pinhole leak in your air mattress, and have to reinflate every 20 minutes through the night, you will never use one again. Not to mention your teeth will chatter in even moderate weather with a good sleeping bag.

paulj

Expedition Leader
There's a chance of finding a hole that leaks so fast that you need to refill every 20 minutes. It's the slow leaks that frustrate me; the ones that require a top up every couple of days (for a mattress that's in continual use). Those are much harder to find and repair, especially on a queen size mattress.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
OK, so what is the recommendation for two people wanting to sleep on the same pad? From the sounds of it, and my research, buying my own foam and cutting seems to be the best option for cost and comfort.

Any more reviews? Memory foam mattress toppers? General JoAnn's foam?

Snagger

Explorer
I tried the stretcher type camping beds, and they sag, rounding your shoulders and giving you an aching body in the morning. I tried slim Thermarests on top of the beds and directly on the ground, and found them uncomfortable and very cold.

I now use an air mattress. The foot-pump models I had in the past all leaked, but the newest ones I got from Tesco have been 100% reliable. They take one minute to inflate using the included fist sized electric pump (recharges from mains or car electrics and holds a charge for six inflations), and about 30 seconds to deflate and roll up.

They were a little chilly in the Alps, but spreading a single synthetic fleece blanket between the mattress and sleeping bag cured that instantly. Quick, compact and comfy.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
So I think I'm going to go this route:
Cabela's Deluxe Camp Bed - since I'm just going to throw it in the back or make a case for it and stick it on the roof.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Camping Pad.jpg
    Camping Pad.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 313

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears