Alcan or deaver?

dnellans

Adventurer
I can easily see how people could give them specs that aren't right for a custom set. I think the most important part is the weight you are carrying normally. I guesstimated my stuff in the back (sleeping platform with drawers/stuff in them) that are always back there was 250 pounds, wrong, over by 100. i figured i was carrying another 150 pounds of gear when out and about was under by a long shot when carrying a full supply of water and a little firewood - wrong, under by almost 150.

its amazing that all the little stuff we "throw in" before heading out adds up really fast at a couple pounds for each i little thing.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Do a search on the bigger forums. You'll find a lot of pleased people with Deaver and some serious complaints about Alcan's.

tacollie

Glamper
There are people who have camplaints about both and love both. Just remember they are a custom spring and that you need to be sure you know how you want them built. My alcans rode firm when the truck was empty but I had them built for 500lbs over stock. When load they were awesome. There are a lot of people with saggy deavers. Both make good springs imo. If you don't need custom specs maybe consider ordering them through wheelers.

JJackson

Explorer
Streakerfreak said:
I love my Alcans and they have performed very well. I went the custom route and it cost about the same price as the ones from Wheelers.

The only issue I had was when they came. They were made slightly wrong. It turned out to be a no issue. I called them up immediately. They said no problem and went about making the new leafs the next day while the UPS pick request was sent to me. Within 5 days I had new springs thet were perfect and at NO additional cost to me.

Had the same thing happen the springs I had made seemed a little too stiff even though I specified about 200lbs over stock, seemed like the where made for my 3/4 ton. Called Charles up and followed his advice, and did not see any changes and the asked me to send them back to fix them. They happily took them back and did a little more work and now I am happy (I did have to pay shipping one way back)

Think I may go with Deavers in the future if not maybe drive to one of their shops (alcan or deaver) and have them made there. Price was about the same or cheaper than Wheelers.

You sound like you are wrestling with the same thing I did a couple of years ago. I wound up with the Deaver 8 pack and Donahoes set at their stock height. The CO's gave a little more than 2 inches if I remember correctly and the Deavers did something like 2" as well. I don't carry that much either but I can and have loaded the crap out of it.

Total cheese shot but here is how it looks after some good use, no sag that I can tell. This shot also gives you a good idea how the rake will look. I am ever so slightly butt high.

DSC_0043.jpg

Great looking Tacoma, buddy. Makes me wanna get home to mine terribly.

What size tires are those under the 2" of lift? I like the aggressive-looking stance. Thx.

mr.trd

Adventurer
I love my deavers. Second Tacoma I have put them on and both of them have been great. No more isssues with how much I can load down the truck. But I did have both sets custom built for my truck and my weight and what I plan to use the truck for.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Great looking Tacoma, buddy. Makes me wanna get home to mine terribly.

What size tires are those under the 2" of lift? I like the aggressive-looking stance. Thx.

They are 235/85/16's. Tallish and skinny. They work great for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan