Alu-Cab 3.x Tent and GP Factor Vent: Any experience?

TotenUnterhosen

Hey folks --

I've been searching here and across the web and just can't seem to find much in the way of experiences using the GP Factor Vent on an Alu-Cab 3.x tent. I live in the PNW and have experienced condensation issues as the result of living in an area with lots of moisture much of the year. I wish I had the luxury of parking inside all the time allowing me to open the tent frequently year-round, alas...

Thus, does anyone here have any experience and feedback (good, bad, or otherwise) using the vent on an Alu-Cab Tent? Or, have you solved condensation issues via some other method or install?

Thanks much in advance for any insight!

Ballyroebuck

I use two sailboat air scoops underneath towards the front, and a stainless steel adjustable BBQ vent on the upper rear. Also underneath the mattress is a woven mesh pad (https://www.hyperventonline.com/) A little airflow prevents condensation. I'm currently working on a dryer vent cover type cover for the BBQ vent. Buying the materials on Amazon I have extras if you want them. I'm in the Camas area.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230124_155656049_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_155656049_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231012_180117611_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231012_180117611_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231012_161704674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231012_161704674_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

TotenUnterhosen

@Ballyroebuck -- thanks for sharing your solution! How many seasons have you used it?

The BBQ vent + cover is an intriguing idea. I may look into that--or some variation--further. I've got the Alu-Cab "3D breathable mesh" between the mattress and the mattress and foam flooring layer already. Should be close to the woven pad you reference, I assume.

Using those small sailboat scoops to force air into the tent while moving--and minimally when still--has me thinking. While providing additional air flow, would it not introduce additional moisture into the tent via damp/moist air? Or do you find that the combination of these scoops + the top vent is enough to offset any potential increase in moisture?

It just kills me that I can be in central OR for a week and have the tent as dry as can be. Then I return to the "wet side" and pop the top after a week and *boom* look at all that condensation.

Ballyroebuck

@Ballyroebuck -- thanks for sharing your solution! How many seasons have you used it?

The BBQ vent + cover is an intriguing idea. I may look into that--or some variation--further. I've got the Alu-Cab "3D breathable mesh" between the mattress and the mattress and foam flooring layer already. Should be close to the woven pad you reference, I assume.

Using those small sailboat scoops to force air into the tent while moving--and minimally when still--has me thinking. While providing additional air flow, would it not introduce additional moisture into the tent via damp/moist air? Or do you find that the combination of these scoops + the top vent is enough to offset any potential increase in moisture?

It just kills me that I can be in central OR for a week and have the tent as dry as can be. Then I return to the "wet side" and pop the top after a week and *boom* look at all that condensation.
I've had the 3.1 on my truck a year. Like you, it was darn frustrating to pop the tent open and see the mattress quite wet, even on a dry day. It's my happy experience that airflow, to even out, the inside the tent when it's closed, and the outside atmospheres, is key to mitigating condensation. Even when its humid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior