Aluminess Deluxe Box

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I've got an apparently discontinued Aluminess box on the back of my SMB. It is a top loader where the top comes completely off, and there is an "open" jerry can holder. I upgraded from my Honda 1000 generator to the 2000, but it won't fit in the box. I usually carry wood, a mat, and some odds and ends in the box. I like being able to put things out of "sight" as much as possible.

Aluminess carries two, one is the "Galley" box ($495) which just holds the generator, or the Deluxe box ($675) which can hold the generator, and with the shelf (at an extra cost) you can fit in some additional stuff.

We just took a trip down to June Lake, and I strapped the generator to the top of my current box, with a lock as extra "security" when we were away from the van. It didn't seem to have any issues with moving around, and only a minor inconvenience in getting to things in the box itself. My only question is getting some kind of cover for it when I'm out in the winter, or rainy weather. I came across this cover that looks promising http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GENER...421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item25675c597d The top flap folds down so I can get the straps through and secure the generator to the top of the box, and it would be somewhat protected from the weather, but it does nothing for security past my current thick cable lock.

In looking at the Deluxe box, it seems as though it cuts out half of the view of the passenger side back window. The Galley box is about the same height as my old box, but it seems as though it would be limited to the generator only.

Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

r_w

Adventurer
You could get a second top made locally. Basically an inverted box that goes down over the top of the genny and locks to the main box.

Bolt the genny to the existing top as a sand plate for when you set it out at camp.

98roamer

Explorer
Careful about how you secure the 2000. The handle is easy to cut through and steal the gen.

c67cb21a2a238ceb0e79ed65a33b5511.image.250x109.jpg

hecataeus

Cover for the generator (more)

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to overland travel. I am just now having Adventure Trailers build the interior of my 2010 Ford SMB.

You might look at having a sail maker rig up a waterproof soft cover for the generator. Its not as 'solid' as the previous suggestion of an inverted box, and certainly not as secure, but they are very durable to weather, you can match the color if that's important, and the cover can be folded and stowed away when not in use (or when moving frequently, while out in the bush).

Cheers,

fyreles

I have my Honda 2000 chained on the rear rack of my Tiger, I use a Honda cover. I find I need to take the cover off and clean it because of the sand and debris it collects. Just sayin...

Toolman

Explorer
I have a Eu1000 mounted to the swing away on my van. I use the Honda cover while traveling and in rain or snow I put a black trash bag on the generator and then the Honda cover over that so that the trash bag doesn't flap in the wind and tear but the generator stays dry and ready for use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman