Amber LED Area Lighting?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Anyone have some recommendations for amber LED area lighting? Planning on mounting on the back of my camper for use when rolling up to a dark campsite or when I just need to light the area in the immediate vicinity around the camper.

I can find plenty of cube lights but I'm looking for something a little less spotlighty that will cover a bit larger footprint and not be totally blinding.

87Warrior

GP'er
I have several 3/4" amber trailer clearance lights mounted to my trailer and within the cargo area of my Land Cruiser that I use for campsite lighting. In my opinion these lights put out just the right amount of light to help you see in the dark, without wrecking your night vision. I am of the mindset that you don't need bright lights for camp lighting.

86scotty

Cynic
Nicely timed. I too am considering my area lighting options for a new Jeep build and am intrigued by the amber options. Sadly, I might give in and try one of the many Amazon options that are cheaply made Chinesium but so cheap it's hard to not try them to see how they do. Most of these are controlled by a phone app with the full color spectrum that modern Brodozers and Carolina Squatters require, which nauseates me and alarms me that we might have one thing in common in this world. Alas, I might try them.
If I choose quality over Crapazon I will probably go with the Baja Designs ones that many people seem to love.

Thoughts on mounting: I really like the zip tie mount in the gallery on the Baja Designs link above but I can't find it anywhere. It seems so me most companies that make these don't offer anything but lights with holes for mounting which I think it missing the mark. Lots of places on a vehicle, and especially UNDER a vehicle, would be easier to mount with a zip tie IMO.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I had replace my AMP step lights and went with the BD Rocklights. Replaced 4 AMP lights with 2 BD, and they are still way brighter. I zip-tied them up. I have the white light so can't comment on amber output.

billiebob

For night lighting without glare red is the best colour. Hence military and navy use red lighting at night.

VanWaLife

I like the Luminoodle. 15 color options, 10 brightness settings, and a remote. It comes with wall mounts but it may not have the permanence you're looking for, and you'd need a 12V lighter socket to plug it into (or 120V outlet). There's also a shorter USB version with similar features.

86scotty

Cynic
I had replace my AMP step lights and went with the BD Rocklights. Replaced 4 AMP lights with 2 BD, and they are still way brighter. I zip-tied them up. I have the white light so can't comment on amber output.

So, perhaps you can answer my question above. Do they come with the mount plate that has a zip tie slot as pictured on their website gallery?

Betarocker

Adventurer
So, perhaps you can answer my question above. Do they come with the mount plate that has a zip tie slot as pictured on their website gallery?
Yes, they come with the plate, as well as a zip tie, 2 waterproof cold solder heatshrink connectors, a pair of long and a pair of short allen screws, a pair of washers, and a pair of nuts.

smokeysevin

Observer
This is what I'm going to use. Thanks @BretEdge!

I have ~7 of the v1s under and on my truck as "service lights" They do a great job for what I use them as. I replaced the bullet connectors on mine with sealed sumitomo's that I use on my other stuff.

Sean

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
For night lighting without glare red is the best colour. Hence military and navy use red lighting at night.
True and I work on light pollution issues. Amber is just nice and cozy while not totally destroying night vision as long as it's truly amber.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I like the Luminoodle. 15 color options, 10 brightness settings, and a remote. It comes with wall mounts but it may not have the permanence you're looking for, and you'd need a 12V lighter socket to plug it into (or 120V outlet). There's also a shorter USB version with similar features.
Yah these are great for interior lighting but I'm looking for a permanent exterior mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior