american urban exploration

toyrunner95

Explorer
so after deliberation, i think i will get a dual sport, i already didnt listen once and i learned my lesson. so i think i will follow your advice and get a dual sport. any one got suggestions?

brice

I think any of the Japanese dualsport bikes would be great. Because it sounds like you plan to ride mostly on pavement I would go with the Suzuki V-strom 650 or Kawasaki KLR 650. I am assuming you are of at least average height, because these are both taller bikes. The first stop anybody wanting to get into motorcycling should make is http://www.msf-usa.org/ I would recommend you take the basic rider course. In addition to being a great class, it will exempt you from the road test when you get your M/C license (in most states) and your insurance co. will probably offer a discount. Let us know what you decide on.

-Cody

toyrunner95

Explorer
well i think im 5'9'. i didnt sit on any dual sports while i was out looking, well a couple, and i could touch the ground. so im not too worried about that, im more worried about weight, if i lay it down i need to pick it up.

hmm.

ThomD

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
well i think im 5'9'. i didnt sit on any dual sports while i was out looking, well a couple, and i could touch the ground. so im not too worried about that, im more worried about weight, if i lay it down i need to pick it up.

hmm.

There is a proper technique for picking up a bike, so don't worry too much about that unless you are a small person. Google for "picking up a motorcycle". The adrenaline of feeling like a fool will help, trust me. :oops:

Vstrom and Versys are more "fire road" capable than the KLR. Not to say they can't go off road, but their design favors more hiway use as a regular thing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you check Craigslist I'll bet you can find a late model used KLR 650 in your area for under $3500. You'll also find that there is absolutely huge aftermarket support for the KLR, probably more than any other dual sport out there.

The Suzuki DR650 is also a very reliable and well-respected dual sport and has the additional advantage of being air cooled (which means no radiator or water pump to worry about.) Aftermarket support isn't quite as good as for the KLR but it's growing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
toyrunner95 said:
thats uncanny there is one fr 3600 in north seattle. how did you know? are you selling it?

If I had a KLR I'd be riding it, not selling it. :victory:

As I said, KLRs are very common on the used market, probably one of the most common bikes out there.

Seems like the typical pattern goes: Person buys a KLR, rides it for a year or so, then decides to sell it for whatever reason (maybe to buy a different kind of bike?) They almost always are 2-5 years old and typically have less than 10k miles on them. Prices are usually between $2800 and $4000.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There was a nice Yamaha TDM 850 for sale down the street from me for $3400. Looked brand spanking new. That's a fun bike. I went by with a check in hand and it was gone the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior