aney trappers

98dango

Expedition Leader
are there aney trappers here

My wifes family had done such for a while. Father in law got me in to it recently as he is fealing his age. I really took to it and have been having much fun with it.

silvergrand

Adventurer
Learned most of what I know, that matters at least, about the outdoors running my trap lines. Put cash in my pocket during high school back when the prices were high (1976ish-1980). I remember catching one coon, one gray fox and 2 muskrats before going to class, sold them for 108.00 to the dealer after school that day.
Present day, still have all of my equipment in the garage. I really need to get back into it. I call my predators now. That's another addiction!!!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
big sky trapper said:
usually put up about 1200-1500 pelts a year.....

That's prety cool. My Dad used to trap when he was young, but not near as much as you. Is any of it government trapping? I always thought being a government trapper would be a fun job.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ursidae69 said:
That's prety cool. My Dad used to trap when he was young, but not near as much as you. Is any of it government trapping? I always thought being a government trapper would be a fun job.

I'm just imagining what the back of your truck would hold if you ever got THAT job!

:xxrotflma

-H-

big sky trapper

Adventurer
No GOV ADC work. Just around my county and on the front range. the back of my truck usually gets pretty rank at times at esp at first when were cleaning all the skunks from area before we get serious about the yotes and red fox.

Catch 10-15 skunks and it BAAAAAD! But skunks pay for gas so i dont mind....

7wt

Expedition Leader
Big Sky,

What's the going rate for red fox tails these days? Or maybe even a whole pelt? I wouldn't mind getting one to try out some salmon hair flies. DO you tan the pelts or are they just dried?

big sky trapper

Adventurer
7wt said:
Big Sky,

What's the going rate for red fox tails these days? Or maybe even a whole pelt? I wouldn't mind getting one to try out some salmon hair flies. DO you tan the pelts or are they just dried?

tails of any animal by them selves other than squirrels are pretty much unsaleable, Mepps lures will buy squirrel tails in lots of 50 + in trade for lures.

Same with pelts w/o tails or faces, pretty much no value. (the fur dresser at the garmet tanneries use the face and the tail to hold onto while they are dressing the leather side for use in the garmet industry. After tanning the faces and tails end up in the "novelty market" )

Going rate for red fox in the round..about $5. Properly skinned, fleshed, streched and dried furs from US district 9 (part of Wy, MT, ID and also included in Alberta CA and a small portion of BC) usually around $30. The fur from these states usually commands the highest prices. Most other states about 1/2.

I do a lot of "traditional" i/e brain tanning of many of my pelts/hides. But everything sold for the fur trade market is just "trapper dried"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman