Another difference between Navara & Frontier

mauricio_28

Adventurer
It just dawned on me that another difference between the Navara, such as that sold in Southeast Asia and Australia, and the American Frontier is the payload. The former is rated for about 1,800 lbs while the latter is rated for 1,300 lbs. This would perhaps go some way towards explaining the heat fins on the Navara rear diff that I brought up to your attention on another thread...

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Mauricio, for that observation. I think the extra weight capacity may be due to the fact that the Navara is a "big, full-size" pickup in Southeast Asia, while in USA the Frontier is a "small" pickup. For heavy loads, Nissan wants us to purchase the Frontier's big brother, the Titan.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
It probably has to do with the weight capacity of the rear leafs. I'm sure the Navara has a heavier duty rear suspension and the Frontier is more a compromise for road comfort.

jpvm

Explorer
Same happened with the D21 pick ups vs. the US Hardbody ... my former '93 D21 King cab had a payload of 1600 lbs while the US version was like 1200 lbs. In USA they use softer leafs (and fewer) to avoid a harsh ride, in other countries they used them mainly for work or badder roads.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
...similar to the difference between the Hilux and the Tacoma.

I hope the increased payload translates to higher durability since I never load it beyond half max payload.

I wonder whether Greg at PRG factored this into account when lifting a Navara. Hopefully he didn't and I can get away with shackles rather than replacing the rear leaves.

Bigger max payload should mean also bigger brakes.

Last edited:
I hope the increased payload translates to higher durability since I never load it beyond half max payload.

My bet is if it has stronger/stiffer springs, it's "durability" is actually less than the US version.

Here's my logic- Stiffer springs = less cushion = more vibration = parts wear out faster.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
The logical extension of your logic is that driving the truck day-in and day-out at full payload will result in less wear-and-tear than driving it, say, with one-tenth payload, which intuitively does not, for lack of a better term, jibe.

A Navara's rear is very well behaved. No dramas, even when with no load. Quite a change from the Nissan pickup I drove when I was in East Timor in 2002. That truck was industrial: granny 1st gear, tall shift stick and one-piece front seat.

It's the Hilux, rather than the Navara, has been faulted here for having a stiff and lively rear when unloaded. No one would bet a Tacoma being more durable than a Hilux.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman